Maine Moose

NMaddict

LAST EDITED ON Oct-25-15 AT 11:21PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-25-15 AT 11:08?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Oct-25-15 AT 10:52?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Oct-25-15 AT 10:49?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Oct-25-15 AT 10:40?PM (MST)

The tag Gods smiled upon me this year when i drew a Maine bull moose tag. Being a Louisiana resident the logistics of the hunt were overwhelming, as a result I decided to go guided. I did all the usual internet searches and quickly figured out from pictures of whole bull moose on trailers that most Maine moose hunters took their moose from the road. This is not my style of hunting so i set out to find an outfitter willing to do a deep woods hunt. As luck would have it Jayson Lucarelli with Maine Whitetail Adventures was recommended to me here on MM. After talking to Jayson i knew he was my guy. My son and I drove to Tennessee where we picked up my friend Billy and together we drove the 34 hours to camp. We arrived at Boulet Sporting Camps and were met by Jayson and his fiance Jessika, the most important person in camp (the cook).
Day one we got into moose right away but I didnt see one personally. We were visited by a friendly agent from Maine IF&W deep in the woods.
Day two found us in a new area it was warm and there were plenty of mosquitoes and a brief glimpse of a nice bull.
Day three we were in yet another area and this day consisted of rain and more rain. We spotted a cow but felt really good about the area.
Day four we returned to the area from the previous day and set up to do some calling. After hearing a cow calling in the chopping Jayson began subtle bull calls. My patience was wearing thin as the time passed but I put my trust in my guide and it paid off. Without warning we heard branches breaking from the chopping and a bull quickly appeared obviously looking for the intruder Jayson was immitating. Jayson immediately knew it was a bull we needed to take and at a mere 40 yards i took my first shot, a solid lung hit. The bull turned and began to run, two more hits later he went down for good. It turned out to be a beautiful bull and a beautiful day for the 2+ mile (11 hour)pack out!
Throughout the hunt I had the opportunity to get to know Jayson and learned that he takes his guided hunting business very seriously. You will not find a guide more prepared and committed to getting your trophy. Though he didnt brag about it Jayson had put in countless hours of scouting for my moose hunt and had located several areas that held trophy moose. Anyone considering a Moose or whitetail guide in Maine should consider Maine Whitetail Adventures, Jayson works very hard to ensure his hunters have a successful hunt. I want to thank Jayson, Russ (AKA Moose Whisperer), my son Philip, friend Billy, and of course Jessica for her lucky cookies. I couldnt have done it without them and I left some great new friends behind in Maine.
9314image.jpg

7756image.jpg

Myself and my son
7176image.jpg

Myself and Jayson Lucarelli

NM Addict - Too bad you have to wait three years to apply again, but maybe your son will draw a Maine tag tomorrow night. I met you at Boulet's last September. Guy

Nothing for this Idaho guy or his hunting partner with 9 points each. I checked the results, and over 90 % of the winners were residents,and the only western N.R.'S drawn, one from California, and one from Colorado.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom