Make Wish Trout Tourny

sageadvice

Long Time Member
The 5th annual Fish for a wish Trout Tournament will be held again at Big Cove Resort on Lake Almanor, Saturday, August 1st

This great fun trout Tournament benefits the Greater Bay Area Make a Wish Foundation.

This will be the fourth year i've participated, winning one year and not coming even close in some others, all have been well worth doing, entry fee's well spent, had a blast, and won some great raffle and entry prizes!

Tourny starts at Big Cove, 6:00 am sharp

Fish anywhere on Almanor, by Boat only.

Weigh-in at Big Cove, 12:noon

Complimentary lunch and awards, prizes, soon to follow

Entry fee; $50. per
Kids; $25. per
Big Fish prize pool; $15.

Contact; AJ at 530-596-3349 or 530-596-3334
Big Cove Resort 442 Peninsula Dr, Lake Almanor
www.weekendsforwishes.org/fishforawish
Tax ID #94-2958481

Sorry for the late notice again this year. Hope you guys, gals, kids, all welcome, can make this growing and excellent event.

Fishing for trout on Almanor has been "Good". Most guys are trolling deep about 25-40 feet pulling worms, rapalas, speedy shiners, or needlefish. Also a good bite fishing over springs or drop-offs using crawlers or crickets or both. Some are catching nice fish using crickets with the hook tipped with a meal worm (called a cricket with a hard on!) ;-) laugh but they work!! There are also some nice sized land locked King Salmon for those that can find them, "iffy" and spotty.

Most fish caught will be in the 1 1/2 pound to 3 1/2 pound range. A Big trout on Almanor is anything near or over that range and last years "Big Fish" winner, took it with a 7 pound Germain Brown. The year i won both "Big Fish" and the 5 fish weight total, my big fish was about a 4 lb Rainbow and my limit was around 13 pounds. The "big fish" and "creel weight" winners, along with the number of participants, has gotten larger each year. Lota fun.

Joey

Hey Sage, sounds like a good time and good luck with the fish. I snorkeled Big Springs the other day but saw no trout holding off the springs yet, surface temp not warm enough? Did hear of a couple 5 to 7lb browns on the hex on the west side. I was just wondering though isnt the make a wish organization staunch anti hunters? BH1

Buckhunter1, It's nice over there, I hope you enjoyed your swim anyway! Next time, you might want to try off the mouth of Baily Creek. A bud of mine has been snorkeling off there out in the big flat and seeing lots of good sized smallmouth and a few nicer trout. I'm kinda surprised to see hardly any trout up shallow at this time of year. The springs do bring cold water but there are deep water springs too so that would be my best guess where to look for them. Big springs cove is usually loaded with dandies in Feb. I like sight casting to them with buggy, realistic looking nymphs. Not too many years ago i watched a 7-8 lb looking Rainbow suck in my fly and heading mid lake, strip me down to the last few wraps of my backing before snapping me off. Wooo hooo!!

Anti-hunting? Could be but not to my knowledge or do i absolutely care. They do so much for sick kids, they really do make some kids dream come true where that might be the only way it can happen. I understand that MAWF used to grant hunting trips to those kids that dreamed of doing so but they then felt that the negative publicity, liability, ...whatever, was strong enough and controversial enough to not grant those particular wishes any longer. There are other offshoot Organizations that do grant hunting wishes. Though i myself don't agree with that particular stance with the MAWF, like i said, they do do a lot for kids, many dreams for sick kids are granted. I'll still support them when i can.

Joey

I know you guys and gals are all holding your breath on the final results of this Tournament so without further delay, here's the skinny;

Dang Nabbit! i didn't win...again :-(

The big Fish winner was won by a guy fishing a cricket with a hard-on in 50' of water, 6 lb 12 oz German Brown...Dandy!

Heaviest bag limit was just under 11 pounds, lightest ever, as far as i know. Same guy that caught the above mentioned Dandy.

Over 100 entries, best turnout ever, slowest fishing ever. I caught 3 rainbows but all on the small side with the biggest only being about 16". I returned my fish thinking surely bigger fish and a full bag was gonna be needed to place.

Fun had by all, honest fisher people would be made welcome next year!! Mark it down!!! First Sat in August. Be there!!! :)

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom