Malhuer deer question?

TipMOver

Hey guys,

My dad lives in the John Day area. He and a couple friends invited me to put in with them in their group for the Malheur deer hunt (166). Are the odds decent that we might draw this hunt? As a NR am I hurting them? They have no points. According to my dad who is a now and then hunter, his friends draw this tag most years. Thanks for any input.

Oh, and how is the hunt?

Thanks,
Dave

You are gonna need a point or 2 as a non-resident to draw. If the residents have a couple of points and you apply as a group, maybe. If they don't have points your group will probably not draw.

As far as the hunt goes, it use to have a bunch of deer, now it is just an average unit. For oregon thats not saying much. Don't except to see more than 3-4 bucks per day and maybe 2-3 bucks over 150 class per hunt.

I hunt the Murderers Creek unit just west of it and if you see 3-4 bucks in a season these days you've done great, 150 is pushing it there too. I can't believe how it's gone down hill.

If they don't have points your chances at drawing are poor as has been said, but you shouldn't hurt them by putting in with them.

Thanks for all of the info guys! My dad is pretty excited, but it sounds like he may not get to hunt after all. He moved up there about a year ago from being in So Cal all his life. He and I have been on one hunt together about 6 years ago where he took his first deer, so this would be cool to do. Maybe next year.

Back
Top Bottom