Man Cave ?

Aaron

I am building a new house right now and am in the framming stage. I put a room in that is 22ft by 20ft and is 11 foot tall in the whole room. My ? is i saw a few months ago about a guy posting about his man cave and guys said to put plywood behind the sheet rock so you can hang a head any where U want. I am going to do this but i dont know how thick i have to go so it will hold a big elk or moose head up. 1/2 3/4 or 1". Any other good ideas while i can still make changes. Also i saw a guys trophy room one time and he had it painted an off green color and it really made the heads pop out at you. Anybody have good luck with other colors other than white. Thanks

Now i need a couple 200 inch bucks for the place too!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-22-09 AT 12:48PM (MST)[p]I think I would go with 1/2" ....and anything bigger than a deer I would screw it into a stud...

Also if your budget can afford it you may consider skipping the sheet rock and install some T&G paneling...Pine with a natural sealer looks pretty darn good..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-22-09 AT 01:16PM (MST)[p]I personally would go with 3/4 as plywood anymore is really undersized from its measurement. The tongue and groove suggestion is great, but check out t and q quakey. It has a super look.
Have a good one. BB

Nail 2x6's in the wall between the 2x4s where your mounts may be going. This is what we do in construction for trophy rooms or handicaped bars ect. Elk mounts can weight alot. If you need some ideas of how high to go I can measure some of my mounts for you.

I changed the color of the room where I have my trophies from white to a medium brown, and I think it really brings out the colors of the capes and the ivory tips of the antlers. When I photograph it without a flash, it kind of looks sage green. In my opinion it is much better than stark white. I think Saskman posted some pictures of his basement with some sage green walls and it looked great.

>LAST EDITED ON Jul-22-09
>AT 01:16?PM (MST)

>
>I personally would go with 3/4
>as plywood anymore is really
>undersized from its measurement.
>The tongue and groove suggestion
>is great, but check out
>t and q quakey.
>It has a super look.
>
>Have a good one. BB

bill I have no idea what you are talking about. call me stupid i guess. Can you elaborate a little more?

Archery is a year round commitment!!

sage green or medium brown looks pretty dang good and if you trim out the doors and base board in knotty alder it looks even better. Tonge and groove aspen is pretty hard to beat in bringing out the best in your mounts.

I just finished up a taxidermy shop for a customer. We put 3/4 OSB on the walls first and then we added 1/2 inch sheetrock on top of that. He hangs Muleys, Elk, Buffalo, and life sized Mountain Lions anywhere he wants on the walls now. As for the tounge and groove lumber if you choose to go that route, I would have to agree with cabinfever, aspen is beautiful. I put aspen tounge and groove on the walls in a trophy room for another client and it turned out awesome. To take it one step farther if you want your mounts to really look sweet on the walls you have to got to a black color on your walls, that is a killer combination with the right lighting. Good luck!

I used 3/4" plywood and have never had a problem at all. I have quite a few large animals hanging, and none have ever come loose in the 3/4" backing. Personally, I would not go with 1/2" in case you want to hang something heavy in a spot where you don't have a stud backing the sheathing.

3/4 OSB behind is great. I'd also think of doing the wall in cedar or pine. Its gives a good hunting lodge look and if you move any heads over time you really don't see the wholes where the screws were because the knots add texture to the look.

We just built a sweet new taxidermy shop and I had 3/4" osb and 1/2 sheetrock put in. I hang all sorts of big animals anywhere I please. It's sufficient.

I've had different colors of paint and I prefer a light green, or light brown color. Black looks sweet too, but some don't like the darker feel the room takes on. I like Aspen t&G too, but in my old shop I had that and when I took the animals off the wall, there was a light spot where they hung, and the rest of the wood turned darker. I'm going to stick with a wall that I can trim with wood, but repaint anytime I please to change the color theme.

DBD

LAST EDITED ON Jul-23-09 AT 04:42PM (MST)[p]For sure that Quakie T-n-G is the t*ts!

I did pine T-n-G in my Trophy Room but did the Quakie T-n-G in the M-Bedroom/total log bed-furniture-ect and geeeezzz do I regret not doing the Quakie T-n-G in the Trophy Room now!

I did 3/4 inch plywood on the upper 4ft and just sheetrock on the 4ft below and above to the 11-ft reach.

That will put your 'heavy mounts' at eye level and your lite mounts----Antelope, Mnt Goat, Muleys ect in the higher part....plus with pedestal mounts being the rage-----the lower 4ft is not needed for strength....just display like bleached/Euro bear, Mnt. Lion, muley--whitey Skulls ect...

Reads like ya got some great plans going on!

Robb

PS--It might not hurt to put some 6-8 pack Track Lights instead of regular lights in the ceiling......they angle any direction and down light is way cool for that shadowing gig from looking outside---into your room...

Here is a picture with aspen T&G and some track lights just like Pleasedear is talking about.
Hope this helps,Elkhuntr
4a68eb6d3f052a7c.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jul-24-09 AT 05:35PM (MST)[p]3/4" plywood behind drywall will work great....My first house I blocked between studs and your stuck with were the blocks are or where the studs are at. Skin all the walls with 3/4" ply and you can hang them anywhere you want.

My man cave 18' X 30' 12' walls

4a6a44f0557b4abf.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jul-25-09 AT 08:21AM (MST)[p]I was told that plywood could have a tendency to bleed through the drywall or warp and lead to cracks in the drywall. When I built my house last summer, I filled the entire "trophy wall" with large,scrap 2x6, 2x8, 2x10 & 2x12 boards. It is skookum enough to hang a life size mount and I don't ever have to worry about finding a stud. I also wired in adjustable spotlights (not track lighting) with dimmers that focus on just that wall.
Eric
famousfigures_abevigoda.gif

Ultra liberal, wolf loving, illiterate, gay, hippie midgets on crack piss me off!!!!

deerline.gif

Well my man cave sucks its all Block through out the home. But the 3/4" OSB will work fine on the room we put in for my dad

3/4 inch will be plenty. I did this and don't regret it at all.

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

Here's what I mean by using cedar or pine as your siding. Mine is western red cedar, with 3/4 OSB behind.
4a6f1aec599438db.jpg

Thanks guys for all the great ideas. That is why i love this site sometimes. I am going with 3/4 behind but i still am going with sheet rock becuse there is nothing in the house that has wood look in it. I think i will go with a sage green too. Sounds awsome.

Went to a 2 hour Julien & Sons seminar on building a trophy room at SCI Convention last January in Reno and they recommended:

1) 3/4" plywood all around (mandatory if you have elk, moose, large game, etc);
2) overlaid sheetrock with light colored paint and keep it smooth (no orange peel finish or the like) - something easily repairable;
3) for lighting, tracs and spots a definite no-no as they tend to cast too many shadows and create unusal light patterns on the walls behind, below and beside the mounts taking focus away from the animal itself. They suggested ample amounts of artificial light and preferrably recessed cans (4" - 6") in the ceiling above the mounts strategically placed just behind and in front of the heads/horns. This will minimize shadowing. Also, suggested staying away from any natural light...will over time bleach out walls and even bleach out certain taxidermy work.

Just passing on their recommendations.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom