Management Question

H

huntelk8863

I am sure I am going to stir the pot here but I my opinion it is something that needs to be done so here it goes. At what point in time do the powers(DOW and Wildlife Commission) realize that in general they have allowed our elk resource to be over hunted.
With all the talk about last winter and its effect this is a far greater factor than most realize. The winter die off coupled with possibly flawed winter counts for years have really effected the health of the herds. As I noted in another post I belive the bull to cow ratios are overstated as are the winter counts. I am not sure about why, but am sure about this, The DOW and the Commission manage the resource in a manor that does not exist in any other state and seems to be driven by $$$ before the health of the herd. Where else can you roll into 90% of a state and buy an over the counter bull tag. I am sorry but at some point in time we are going to have to change or continue with an experience that is poor. Now the hard part, what is the answer? In my opinion, we need to dramatically reduce the number of hunters in the woods and still somehow fund the management of our wildlife. Since the powers to be have these population objectives that may have been met by hunting and two bad winters, it is time for them to face the music and realize that they can no longer put every hunter that lives here and comes here in the woods--oh no--they now have cut there budget by a large number. How do you think they are going to like this? I dont profess to have all the answers, just throwing this out for discussion.

Mark

I agree with you that it's time for some major changes. For one, the Colorado DOW budget dwarfs those of the other Rocky Mtn States. They need to cut the fat and get by with less. They also need to quit relying on big game licenses for the bulk of their budget. I read something recently that claimed wildlife viewing had a bigger economic impact than hunting. If this is true it's time for these folks to pitch in some $$. The habitat stamp was a lame attempt at this, I'll venture to say that 95% of the habitat stamps are purchased along with hunting/fishing licenses. It's time for some other interest groups to kick in their share.

As far as I know, Colorado is the only state that allows unlimited OTC bull tags. From a revenue stand point this is great, from a management stand point this is ridiculous. It's time to limit all elk licenses. They did it with deer and they can do it with elk. Unfortunately the deer population was in so much trouble they had no choice. I fear that the elk will also have to be nearly wiped out before we see any major changes.

I sat in a DOW meeting a few years ago and heard someone use the term "revenue neutral" - meaning that whatever the decision was it couldn't result in less $$ for the DOW. Sadly the management of Colorado's big game is largely driven by the all-mighty dollar.

I agree that over the counter licenses has to go to prevent the level of elk being so low that it takes years to rebound.The last time I hunted a general season,I saw fifty hunters to every elk. I myself will never go to a general season hunt again.I only apply for limited licenses.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom