Manti late Hunt

S

Shields77

I drew out the manti late hunt limited entry elk unit this year. It starts Nov 10.. Any advice?

I am not trying to discourage you, but I helped a friend a few years ago on that hunt. It was not easy to find a good bull. He hunted every day of the hunt and ended up killing a very small 6 point the last day. And he is a dang good hunter.
We saw hundreds of cows every day, but no mature bulls. The big bulls go into hiding after the rut and you just have to find their little hide outs. They also figure out where the private land is and head there as well.

>I am not trying to discourage
>you, but I helped a
>friend a few years ago
>on that hunt. It
>was not easy to find
>a good bull. He
>hunted every day of the
>hunt and ended up killing
>a very small 6 point
>the last day. And
>he is a dang good
>hunter.
>We saw hundreds of cows every
>day, but no mature bulls.
> The big bulls go
>into hiding after the rut
>and you just have to
>find their little hide outs.
> They also figure out
>where the private land is
>and head there as well.
>

Plus one!

Other advice: Have fun and shoot a big one then get it posted on MM so we may all rejoice and celebrate with you!

Good luck man!

Zeke

Alot of the bulls will be on their winter range or close to it. I have seen bulls in the same areas we are looking for sheds in March.

I helped my brother in law on the hunt last year. The bigger bulls were alomst 1/2 mile to mile away from the herds. The smaller bulls were all in the herds. The day he got one we saw over 30 bulls, but they were all smaller. He ended up shooting 5x6 300 inch one. He was happy with it. The elk were all up high where we found them. It was a really fun hunt. Just get to a spot that you can do a lot of glassing and you will find them. We started scouting hard two weeks before the hunt started.

Just remember that the Manti is a big unit...

Bulls all over the place, from the valley floor on up. (But I wouldn't waste much time on the Skyline Drive.) The elk have been holding tight since August. They won't change that pattern until they have a reason to move. So we'll see what the next month brings.

Weather, hunting pressure and forage are the likely factors that could change everything in a hurry. But you already knew that, so best advice is to just roll the dice. After all, if you scout every day from now to then, you'll still only see a glimpse of what's there.

But maybe...

If it snows - hit the Joe's Valley Road.

If it snows hard - hit Ephraim Canyons.

If there are lots of hunters on the general elk & deer hunts, (Opt 2 sure cooled off the archery hunt.), hit Mary's Nipple & Bull Valley.

Thanks everyone... This is all so helpful for my hunt. I am taking my father and my son on the hunt, so am hoping for a great experience for us, seeming it we all three wont be able to go on a hunt like this to many more times together. thanks..

Any advice always helps

You would be surprised how many bulls are in the valley already. Between the hunter pressure and competition during the rut a lot of them move to the low country. By the time your hunt starts some will still be low (in the valley), but a lot of them move back up to the mid elevation to spend the winter. Some of that middle country is really thick so you will want to find a good vantage point and do a lot of glassing. Here is a Manti Bull that the DWR had to put down on the rifle hunt. It had no obvious wounds on it, but it couldn't stand up. I'm thinkin it either got into something that made it sick or he got his butt kicked possibly breaking his neck.
elk_zps7f64a8c6.jpg

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom