Max Points Suggestions Please

saddlesorerider

Good morning everyone!

I have not hunted Wyoming since 1970, but I have accumulated nine elk points and I have decided to use them this year (2015). I have read about Area 7 in the ELK forum and the recommended Outfitters are Elk Mountain Outfitters, Turkey Track, and Q Creek Ranch in Area 16.

My dilemma is I am 70 years of age this year and I am only going to get one chance at a good hunt, so I want to hire an Outfitter. I have killed decent bulls in the past, but my goal is a 350 bull and a not too strenuous hunt. I will be hunting with a rifle.

What do you folks think? Do you have any other advice or comments that would help me make a decision on the right Outfitter in Area 7?

The Q Creek Ranch in Area 16 was also recommended and offers two different hunts (dates). Do any of you have any experience with this Ranch and is one hunt better than the other (early versus late)?

Are there any other Areas or Outfitters that I should be looking at that will give me a chance at a 350+ bull?

Your comments are very much appreciated. I look forward to receiving your feedback or private messages!

Thank you very much.
Greg

LAST EDITED ON Jan-18-15 AT 01:02PM (MST)[p]Wagonhound in unit 7 is probably as good of a bet for what you want to have a good hunt and get a big bull. Everyone says that is the place to go for a private land hunt if you have the money to afford it and that's the kicker. They want $9500 for a five day hunt! You'll probably find a lot of hunts for less than that with a good chance at a big bull, but you only have 2 weeks left to figure it out and apply for the draw.

With max points,you had a 100% chance of drawing unit 7, and a 44% chance in unit 16. The Q ranch is 3000 less than Wagon Hound,and both are about as good as it gets to shoot a 350 plus bull. The Q would be my choice in a heart beat if i had a chance to draw. The facilities are top notch and the scenery and wild life is incredible. The Wagon Hound is every bit as good, but way over priced in my view. But if you have to hunt in 2015,you will probably have to go for unit 7. Good Luck..

I'd take Elk Mountain Outfitters in 7 over Wagonhound just because of the price diff. They both take big elk. Q Creek Ranch in 16 on the late hunt will be tough to beat. You'd probably be one of their only hunters and they shoot a lot of elk out in the sage. I've seen some big bulls come off 16 in the past few years. A 380 bull in 2013 was the best I've seen followed by a 360 bull this past season...

After some more research, i found you probably will draw if you buy the Special license for unit 16. And i would really think about 16 for the late hunt,like has been stated. Good Luck..

If you can sit a horse I'd still go with 59-1 or 56-1 even at your age. only draw back is you're not a lock on drawing either. if you're intersted PM me I've hunted 59-1 and my hunting partner hunted 56-1 this year I can tell you what it demands from you to hunt them.

Since you asked for opinions, it doesn't look to me like the chances at a 350+ bull are that great at Wagonhound. look at what they put on their website, I don't know how many hunters they take but they don't take many 350+ bulls, and by that I assume they're using Safari Club so knock it down even more. not trying to put them down, I just don't see it.

For what it's worth Garth Carter told me the High Island Ranch is the best elk hunt in WY . I don't know much about it but it might warrant a look. price wise I think you're about the same as Wagonhound.

Stay thirsty my friends

I found this article on another Wyoming hunting website. I don't know a thing about the High Island Outfit I just thought I would pass it on.

This hunt was discussed with the owner for four years which was how long it took for me to draw the near $1,000 tag. Every time I talked with Harvey it was the same,"WE WON"T EVEN LET YOU SHOOT A BULL ON THIS RANCH UNDER 350". There were two other hunters in camp that were fed the same line of B.S. by the owner Harvey Frank Robbins.
At (54) years old I exercised for (6) solid months and lost (30) pounds plus altitude trained on a device that cost me right at $1,000 all in preperation for this hunt.
Early on in the hunt the Owner Harvey Frank Robbins told all three of us, "I DON'T LIKE TROPHY HUNTERS, PEOPLE SHOULD COME OUT HERE FOR THE EXPERIENCE" Unfortunately the only experience was getting ripped off by another sleazy outfitter.
One hunter was advised by his guide to shoot a 350" plus bull that scored 250".
Another hunter was given no assistance by his guides and shot a 319" bull.
I missed an alleged 360" bull at 300 plus yards moving in a 30 MPH cross wind. But, the following day I shot and killed a bull that was better than the 360" bull from the day before, unfortunately it scored 284".
All three of us hunters were told that we were not welcome back to Harveys ranch since we complained about the "WE WON'T EVEN LET YOU SHOOT A BULL ON THIS RANCH UNDER 350".
After I pointed out several other lies to Harvey Robbins, I was told "ANYBODY ELSE WOULD HAVE KICKED MY ASS" I replied with,"KICK MY ASS FOR TELLING THE TRUTH, NOW THAT IS A NOVEL CONCEPT". Unfortunately the loud mouth hillbilly never felt froggy enough to jump, TOO BAD!!
So if you want a high priced hunt, don't mind getting lied to, are not trophy minded, and might get your ass kicked, this is your place.
By the way, the owner who does not like trophy minded hunters, shot himself a 390" bull a couple years ago with his bow. Isn't that ironic!!!
Google "HIGH ISLAND RANCH" & this entire story in detail is posted there on a Google Ad Words.
Moral of the story, File Hunt reports, File Hunt Reports, File Hunt Reports, and contact a states Board Of Outfitters and Professional Guides, all states have one. If you don't file hunt reports after a hunt, you are part of the problem, not part of the solution.
Be greatful that you have websites like this one to help your fellow hunter by telling your story.
Good Hunting I don't recommend this hunt. The reason can be summarized in one name: Frank Robbins. This guy owns some of the best elk habitat anywhere. His son-in-law, Josh Longwell, is a highly skilled and hard-working guide. But be forewarned, Frank Robbins is highly disorganized and will create trouble for you. When I booked this high dollar hunt, he committed to me that my buddy and I would be the only 2 hunters in camp. Yet a week prior to my departure when I called to touch bases, he admitted that he "had me down for a week later". I spent $620 re-booking my flight and he would not accept any responsibility for his oversight. Everyone has their point of view, but the obstinance of this man will cause you trouble. There are better hunts, especially at this price

I've talked with the guys at the Q this year....Tad states if you want a really big bull on the Q you have to hunt the early season Type 1 tag...I still think if a guy wants a 350 bull, you better hire an outfitter around Cody...check Boone and Crockett...Park County is king! You can't guarantee a 350 bull on any hunt with any outfitter in central or southern Wyoming. 300 to 320 maybe...350 no-way. Good luck in the draws.

Elkmountain , I've seen that too and more. when I was thinking of having my wife use her max points there I did a little research and found several past hunters who said it was BS they had great hunts.

But I would do some serious research before I went too far. always a good idea.

I think 30Hart is dead on.

Stay thirsty my friends

Thank you everyone who replied and pm'd me. I really appreciate your help and advice.

I do sit a horse well and have my own. For many years I hunted out of West Yellowstone in November and finally gave up as the wolves and the bears have totally destroyed the elk herd. I talked to some Outfitters in the East side of the Park at Elk Camp this year and came to the conclusion that it would probably be an easier and nicer hunt down in Unit 7 or Unit 16. I talked with Wyoming Fish and Game at every Elk Camp and they always suggested Area 7.

After reading all of your input I have eliminated Wagon Hound mostly due to the cost. I am now back to where I started with the Q Ranch or Elk Mountain. I know there are some smaller Outfitters in Unit 7, but I have had no recommendations on any of them.

If any of you have any additional ideas or recommendations, I would really appreciate your two cents.

Thanks again for your help.

Greg

Give Mike Wakkuri a call at Elk Mountain Outfitters and see what he suggests. It wont hurt to bend his ear a bit to see what he has to say.

Area 7 is usually fairly gentle terrain. Wagonhound, Turkey Track, Triple Creek and Elk Mountain all take an occasional 350 bull but they are the exception rather than the rule. As others have posted look at their web site photos and see how many you think are 350 bulls.

Wagonhound does cost more but they may be the best because they have more land. If you do the tent camp with Wagonhound they will be $7,500 and the others will be about $5,500. All the TV shows go to Wagonhound but that might be a problem because they will get the good areas.

I have hunted with Elk Mountain and if you talk to them I think they will be honest with you and tell you a 320-330 will be more representative of what to expect but there are 350 bulls on their properties.

The late Cody hunts can be productive but can be brutal hunts, 20 miles per day on horses in bad weather, looking at hundreds of elk to find the big one. If you don't have bad weather you may not see much. And these hunts aren't 100% draw even with max points.

I don't know anything about 16.

I guide on the HD high island. I was there when that Bill Gentner that posted the bad review. I didn't guide him. Let's just say there are two sides to every story.

Our hunts are $8k.

350 is a pretty reasonable goal.

Here's a couple bulls from my recent clients

These were two brothers I guided together in 2011

Their dads bull is above and their other brother is still trying to draw.

Here's a recent article in the Casper paper about Mr.Robbins High Island Ranch, and issues with bighorn sheep vs his domestic sheep herd. You can decide if you want to give him your money.

"If the environmentalists and Game and Fish and whoever else in the world want to round up a pile of money and bring it to me and say, 'I'll pay you all this money to not run sheep up there,' . I'll consider that," he said.

http://trib.com/news/state-and-regi...cle_172b4728-8513-54c5-a015-19165b695ef3.html

Sorry for all the multiple posts. It wouldn't let me put them all in one.

We drive to a lodge and hunt horseback or foot. My hunter last fall was having a hard time with his knees so we finished his up with a buggy.

My own bull from 2008

That sounds like a awful quote, until you realize that folks are trying to tell him what to do with his private land.

Sounds like the guy really cares about wildlife..... as a cash cow only!!!!

His domestic sheep plan should be criminalized!

Just my opinion (and the only one that matters to me),

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Jan-23-15 AT 12:32PM (MST)[p]Thanks for posting that Teepee!

No matter the dispute, Frank Robbins is threatening the largest BigHorn sheep herd in Wyo. He simply is blackmailing the BLM at the cost of wildlife. Area 5 contributes the most tags to hunters and it would be devastating to the herd and sportsman, if the unthinkable happens. How ralphie can defend that in any way is irresponsible and beyond the pale.

I urge anyone who considers hunting this ranch to reconsider. Robbins has already brought sheep to the ranch and it may already be too late.

>That sounds like a awful quote,
>until you realize that folks
>are trying to tell him
>what to do with his
>private land.

If what he does on his private land affects everyone else around him, it is awful.

What if I owned the ground upwind of him and wanted to put in a sewer treatment plant. I bet he would squeal like crazy.

I can defend the ranch because I actually know the situation. I'm not running on hearsay and half truths spread by folks who have never met Frank, never been to the ranch, don't know where any of the sheep are and have their own agenda.

So tell me, how many of you have first hand knowledge of what's going on?

If the lawsuit went to the US Supreme Court, I'm "guessing" that there was just a little truth to the allegations against him?

This is what I'm talking about. The allegations that were good enough to make it to the supreme court were against the blm.

When the blm brought charges against frank a jury acquitted him in 20 minutes. This was separate from the case that went to the Supreme Court.

If you can sit a horse I'd still go with 59-1 or 56-1 even at your age. only draw back is you're not a lock on drawing either. if you're intersted PM me I've hunted 59-1 and my hunting partner hunted 56-1 this year I can tell you what it demands from you to hunt them.

Since you asked for opinions, it doesn't look to me like the chances at a 350+ bull are that great at Wagonhound. look at what they put on their website, I don't know how many hunters they take but they don't take many 350+ bulls, and by that I assume they're using Safari Club so knock it down even more. not trying to put them down, I just don't see it.

For what it's worth Garth Carter told me the High Island Ranch is the best elk hunt in WY . I don't know much about it but it might warrant a look. price wise I think you're about the same as Wagonhound.

Stay thirsty my friends

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom