max points ?

J

jeremie

I got max points and am looking to use them this year just cant see waiting around for the state to make a comeback.I know a good buck or 2 will come out of most of the draw ereas but I cant find anything that really is putting one unit over the other.Im sure im not the only one in this perdicament.Been looking at units 101,102,130,90,78-81,and most all the other units that I can find anything about.I can physically hunt any unit out there but just want to find some info that can point me in the right direction.Looking for a mature deer and am willing to go home empty handed if I cant find one.Dont need any secret spots just some helpfull advice thanks and good luck to all in the upcoming draw season.

If you're looking to use them this year for sure that leaves several of your choices out. 101, 102, and 78-81(late) are far from a sure thing even with max points. You'd probably have 100% draw odds in 89, 119, and 125. All would be units to add to your list of possibilities. Sounds like you are aware of the situation but I agree with your desire to hunt. Thats why you've been buying the points, right ? There's no guarantee that it will be better in 5 years - or ever. There are many issues impacting the Mule deer herds. Weather and management are a couple but certainly not the only ones. Good Luck. Chip

I agree with both of u.Im not looking for a 100 percent chance draw unit but just putting in for a unit that I could draw.All but 82 have odds over 10% which in my world are good draw odds.I just am tired of putting in for points waiting for the herd to come back.

Seriously though I see from your previous post you want a 170 deer. That'll be tough...won't say it won't happen, but can't guarantee it in any Wyoming area right now. That being said any area can produce a 170 deer even the general tags...good luck.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-07-12 AT 05:29PM (MST)[p]Jeremie has his sights set high wanting a 170" deer and a 330"+ elk. That's fine, but you also have to be realistic and realize that even in the better deer areas it is tough to take a deer of that caliber. It would probably be easier to get the elk he's talking about the way they are flourishing in many areas right now than the buck, especially during the September rut with a bow. The big thing is that to take either one it really helps to have hunted an area before or go with someone who knows the area if you can't do any scouting beforehand to take an abover average animal.

MuskegMan---That's what I've told several people that have PMd me about 125. I'm now rethinking my PP plan after you hunted it last year and made your posts aboout both the lack of bucks and quality!

I had a 130 tag last year. No migration because of the weather the last two years. If I had it to do over again I would pick a unit that is not dependent on the migration. 119 looks like a good unit because of the dates but there is a reason that its kinda easy to draw. The deer do not winter on that side of the mountain.

thanks for the info guys.You guys are really confirming all the other facts that I have been finding out.The reason I am saying 170 inch or better is I know I can go to idaho on an over the counter unit and have a chance at a 170 plus buck every yr.As for the bull I am not much of a elk hunter just starting to get into it and took a 330 inch bull on an over the counter tag last yr and dont want to shoot something smaller on a state that I have invested 4 yrs in building points. 6 yrs invested for deer for something under 170 is a waste in my situation.I am lucky enouph to hunt a fair amount each yr.Dont need to shoot the big one just know there in there and be able to hunt a unit that has them in it.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom