Maybe getting started

WC

Hey guys out there with some muzzleloading experience I need some advice. I hunt in Utah and have been an avid rifle hunter for years. Last year I took a young man that I go to church with to my hunting area during the muzzleloader season to see if we could get him a buck it was a great time we saw three shooter bucks and got to shoot at two of them. He missed both shots but it was alot of fun anyway. This started a small fire in me of curiosity concerning getting myself a muzzleloader and trying it out. What muzzleloaders should I be looking at? (concerned primarily with performance). What scopes should I be looking at(If they are legal here). I have been told you can now shoot over 200yrds with a muzzleloader. Can you shoot good tight groups at this distance? Oh yeah the bad thing about the whole deal is I am on a budget? Are you or any of your budies needing to part with your muzzleloader at a good/great deal? Thanks for responding.

Sorry to repply to my own post but I just saw a 45 cal knight. Would this be any good for the uses I listed above?

Looking quickly at the limits in Utah. You cannot use a scope. Must use open sights. All the inlines are legal. Smokeless powder is not so the Savage is not a big advantage. On a budget you cannot afford it anyway. Watch the after season (NOW) sales. If there is a Walmart close to you check if they carry muzzleloaders they have been known to sell cheap at end of season. You cannot shoot 200 yards with a lot of confidence with open sights unless you have a lot better eyes than me. I do not try those shots with a scope. Keep thinking more like 100 yards or maybe a few more but the 200 yard stuff is not for beginners. CVA and Traditions rifles are going to be the least expensive and are made in Spain. There is a lot of talk about spanish barrels being unsafe but it is mostly talk and not much fact. US made rifles are probably better but usually cost more. Thompson Center and Knight are probably the most well known US made. I have a T/C Omega and a Traditions Pursuit. Look for .50 caliber and longer barrels where possible if you want to shoot at extended ranges. Handle as many as possible and see what they feel like to you. Talk to some local black powder shooters. For hunting you do not need to stay with the traditional style unless that is what you like. Inlines are usually less expensive now and do the job just fine. Look for good installed sights since you cannot use a scope. If you have to install a peep sight to get good sight picture you need to consider the availability of one for the rifle you buy. If I had to shoot without the scope I would install a peep sight as my eyes do not focus iron sights so good anymore.

WC, I'm not sure where you plan on hunting but check out the regulations carefully before you buy. Remember, as with anything you get what you pay for. Although you don't have to break the bank either, they're are some good buys around. Do a search on this fourm and go to your local shop ad see what fits you well.Good luck.
MLKeith, scopes are legal in Utah. The deal is, your scope must have no magnifaction so only 1X power is allowed.

Greg

I was taking the information from the Blackpower Hunting magazine Fall Issue which lists all states rules. You are correct it says "telescopic sights" are not legal as well as laser sights are not legal. I guess in fine print non-telescopic scopes might be OK. Thanks for the correction. And by the way for the other new question I would not buy a .45cal just due to the relative lack of support (bullets,sabots etc). .50 is a lot more popular and you might want to hunt elk and the .50 is what I would call minimum for elk.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom