meat cutting

E

elkantler75

who prefers to do their own? what have been your worst experiences with processing it yourself and with processing businesses?

i do all my own cutting and packaging just so i know what i am getting.

I do my own cutting and wrapping. I have done so for 25+ years. Some of my experiences with the "pros" included 1/2 the meat and LOTS of hair and dirt; obviously simply mixed up the animals.

NOW, I can only complain at myself. Except the "new guy" seems to do a pretty good job.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

My only bad experiences have been with commercial processors. I do my own. The worst experience I had was with Nay's meats in Panguitch.

Another bad experience was at Indian Valley meat in Alaska. Thought the guy was being really nice by loading us up with an extra 100 pounds of ground caribou until we got home and tried to use it. It stunk so bad trying to cook it that I had to leave the house. That was a waste of extra luggage charges on the plane.

I have always butchered my own game because of one bad experience I had a long time ago. I want it deboned and degrizzled. By doing that you will get rid of the wild taste. All of the left over scraps I will grind up and mix with pork and seasonings to make sausage.

The bad experience that I had was when I asked to have it cut up into steaks and stew meat, the stew meat consisted of a lot of fat and rib bones. So ever since then I have done it myself. Just like that old saying. If you want it done right, do it yourself.

last year was my 1st aged, cut and vac pac job! it was good and I'll never pay to have a deer processed again!
4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

I've just about always done my own. Also with those reasons mentioned above, i know how much meat to put in each pack so there's plenty enough but none wasted.

Joey

+1 with what Joey had to say, it is very nice to be able to package for my family needs. That way I do not have to pull out more meat than we will eat and also I enjoy making my own sausage with different kinds of seasonings.Being able to bucther myself means trying different things!!

CABugle

I've always cut and wrapped my own also...no reason to pay to have it done when it only takes a couple hours and is a fraction of the cost to have it done by someone else. I cut as many steaks as possible, 1 or 2 good sized roasts, and anything left is made into cubed steak or soup meat. If you don't know how to do it on your own I highly recommend asking someone to teach you and you'll never pay to have it done again...it's very easy to do!!

~Z~

CUT & WRAP MY OWN FOR 35+ YEARS. ITS CLEANER, I KNOW ITS MY ANIMAL, WASTE ALMOST NOTHING, PACKAGED THE WAY I NEED IT.....& I NEVER GET SHORTED..........YD.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-09-09 AT 05:15PM (MST)[p]
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/817/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzl.jpg[/IMG]

This question is a double edged sword (pun?).
I've been a butcher 31 years.

I know both sides of the debate.

I cut my own & would NEVER go to a commercial processor.

At the meat locker, time is money, they ain't eating it so most of the time they buzz the thing out asap on the bandsaw, which is OK as long as you like gamey tasting meat.
You see the bone marrow of wild game is very bitter & gamey and with each stroke across the bandsaw that marrow is smeared across the face of every single bone in chop or steak.
Time is money and most cannot take the time to remove the silver skin and fat from the burger either, another huge source of gamey flavor.
I just cut up my kid's buck from last week.
ALL BONELESS.
I saved the backstraps and a few pkgs of stew from the sirloin tips.
I love burger (WHEN DONE PROPERLY!) so everything else was boned out, fat & silverside removed and chunked up for grind.
I went down to Safeway & bought about 20 lbs of the fattiest hamburger available and then ground the vennison once.
I opened the hopper dumped in the once ground vennison and added the fatty burger.
Mixed the combo for about four minutes then ground the combo a second time.

YUUUUUUMMMMY!
http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/5027639/Hamburger-main_Full.jpg[/IMG]

On the other hand some hunters can be completley unreasonable.
They bring in a dirt & hair covered carcass that's been shot to Hell.
Then comes the golden question when they arrive to pick it up, you can count on it every time.........."WHERE IS ALL MY MEAT??????"
That big carcass is kind of like one of those hollow easter bunnies.
By misjudging field-dressed weights of bucks, hunters often have unrealistic expectations of how much venison they should receive from their butcher. Many aspects combine to determine venison yields. Although a neck-shot mature buck can yield a big amount of steaks, chops, hamburger and stew meat, the amount of meat seems minuscule when compared to the meat yield of domestic animals.

All animals are built a little different. For hogs, almost everything is used - bacon, hocks, etc. A deer has long legs with little meat on them, whereas steers have the same bone structure (but with more meat). It's the muscle and fat that make them different.

Although it would be convenient to say a deer's meat yield is equal to 50 percent of its field-dressed weight, it wouldn't be totally accurate. A buck's condition plays a large role in how much boneless venison it will yield.

Meat Yields (In Pounds)
Animal Weight* Meat Waste %Meat
Lamb** 50 40 10 80%
Hog 240 189 51 79%
Black Angus 600 438 162 73%
Holstein Steer 900 513 387 57%
Mature Buck 180 72 108 40%

The Equation for Venison Yield
Hunters can learn more about their deer and how much venison it will yield by first obtaining an accurate field-dressed weight. This figure helps determine the deer's carcass weight - the deer's body weight minus its head, hide and innards. From there, it's easy to calculate how much venison is on the carcass.

It's important to note that this equation assumes that no part of the deer is lost to waste from tissue damage. Obviously, a deer suffering bullet - or to a lesser extent, arrow - damage to its back, hams, shoulders or neck will yield substantially less venison. Therefore, it includes calculations for "ideal" meat yield - the maximum amount of meat on a deer with nothing being lost to waste, and a "realistic" meat yield - the amount of meat a hunter can expect to receive after subtracting the pounds of meat lost to bullet/broadhead damage.

The equation does not account for meat that must be removed after being ruined by stomach contents or overexposure to warm weather.

Remember, to use the equation, first obtain an accurate field-dressed weight.

How Much Does it Weigh?
Mature Mule deer can be heavy, but much of their weight is distributed in non-meat areas. Here are some examples of how weight is distributed in deer. (live weights in parenthesis)

Hide Factor

Fawn: (100 pounds) 6.7 percent
Adult doe: (140 pounds) 7.9 percent
Adult buck (160 pounds) 8.7 percent
Bucks: more than 160 pounds 9 percent
Bone Factor

Fawn: (100 pounds) 13.8 percent
Adult doe: (140 pounds) 13 percent
Adult buck (160 pounds) 12.4 percent
Bucks: more than 160 pounds 11.7 percent
Blood Factor

Fawn: (100 pounds) 6 percent
Adult doe: (140 pounds) 5 percent
Adult buck (160 pounds) 5 percent
Bucks: more than 160 pounds 5 percent
Using this guide as an example, a 180-pound buck would have 16.2 pounds of hide, 21.06 pounds of bones and 9 pounds of blood. Unfortunately, it's difficult to estimate the live weight of a deer if it has been field-dressed because the weight of a deer's innards varies depending on its health and diet.
Carcass weight = Field-dressed weight divided by 1.331
Ideal boneless venison weight = Carcass weight multiplied by .67
Realistic venison yield = Ideal boneless weight multiplied by .70
Let's say a hunter kills a mature buck, and it weighs 165 pounds field-dressed. Using the above equation, we estimate its carcass will weigh 124 pounds, and it will ideally yield 83.08 pounds of boneless meat. The deer's realistic meat yield is about 58.15 pounds.

Because waste can vary between deer, we suggest using the "realistic" figure as a gauge. In the above example, the buck's realistic meat yield would range form 58 to 68 pounds. A 10-pound difference doesn't seem like much when dealing with a large deer , but it's noticeable when the deer is a fawn or yearling.

Conclusion
In most cases, hunters will likely see little difference in meat yields between the deer they shoot. Does and bucks from similar age classes yield similar amounts of venison. In fact, don't expect to see big differences in your net venison yield unless you're comparing relatively young deer with a big, mature, deep-chested buck.

HH

My family has always cut and wrapped our meat. Its not hard at all it just take some time. It can take all night if you have multiple animals to cut, we have had some long nights cutting meat.

Twenty five years ago a professional asked if I wanted to stick around and watch him cut a deer up for me...best two hours on meatcutting I could have asked for. I have since invested in all the equipment I need to do the job and get great satisfaction in doing it myself. I have passed on the stuff I have learned to my kids and they all cut and wrap their own too. As much a part of the hunt as the actual harvest of the game.+1 muleystalker on the long nights!

I used to have my wild game processed for me but ever since a really bad experience a few years ago I have been processing all the critters I take. The last time I took a Bull Elk into a processor and we talked about what cuts etc, I requested no saws, knives only and he said no problem. 1st package I opened was from the front shoulder, it looked as if they just hung the shoulder up so that the top of the shoulder was on top then took a saw and started cutting pieces horizontally all the way up the shoulder. That first package was a chunk of shoulder blade with what little meat there is attached to it on both sides. I decided from that point on I would always do my own and I have got to say I enjoy it much more now then ever before. Like others have said, I remove all the silver skin, sinew etc as I believe this makes for better tasting meat. This thread is making me hungry!

Excellent post Hunterharry.

Beyond having some meat ground or having smokey sticks or sausage made, I've never used a processor. They all did a fine job. Some processors will process your game bone in or boneless. Boneless will cost more as it is much more time consuming.

I bone out all of my game. Steaks, roasts, stew meat (much of which is canned), burger, sausage, and jerky. I make the sausage and jerky myself now, though I don't make as much sausage as I'd like as it is difficult to come up with pork fat. I suppose I'll expand into summer sausages and salamis one of these days.

I find the processing can be a chore if it is a busy week, but also find cutting up meat on the back deck on a mild fall day with some music or a ball game on the radio makes for a great afternoon. It can also be a good family experience if your not too uptight about the cuts the kids are producing. Its all part of the experience and a practice in self sufficiency in its fullest.

I didn't cut up my own until I met my Wife, who was scandalized that I'd pay someone to do a poor job on the meat.

Bean

Great posts! I've done my own for 30 yrs., except a time or two I had to use a processor. I've been fortunate in that I lived in places where temps at the end of season were pretty cool to cold at night, have been able to hang meat, age it a litlle and cut and wrap at my convenience; also remove fat, gristle, bone; even wash to remove any bloodshocked meat. I have had excellent meat that was hung sometimes as long as two weeks. I even learn new stuff from places like these posts on this forum!

I cut my own most of the time. the biggest problem i had was letting it age properly.

I got an old fridge a few years ago, one of those big ones without a freezer, looks like it was from the 60's. I pulled out all the shelves and it will fit a quartered up elk or whole deer or pronghorn in it! since you rarley get an elk out whole, it works great. would like a walk in but they are a bit spendy.

some times I can use a buddys reefer trailer to age things, just have to buy the diesel.

I was raised cutting our own. The only thing I have ever farmed out was a Limited entry elk I killed in 02. Wasn't happy with the results and never went back. I built my own walk in cooler a few years ago. Bought the refigeration unit off of ebay and framed in and insulated a corner of my barn. Big enough to hold 4 elk or 6 deer. Buy yourself a grinder and a foodsaver and you are in business.

My father taught me to cut meat and it has saved me a bunch of money over the years. I also know what I am getting. The biggest problem I face is the temps. Unfortunately I had to move to Saint George years ago and can't let the the meat age. I have been looking for a walk-in but to no avail. Does anybody have any suggestions where to find one at a reasonable price? I am a little bit handier than a chapped a$$ so I have thought about trying to scab one together myself.

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, then why did He make them out of meat?"
~Ted Nugent

I ate venison and elk for every other meal in college and when I was first out on my own. Also cut and wrapped it all. Now if I want a piece of meat, I go buy a ribeye or New York strip. Otherwise I give everything away except for some burger. Several friends argue over who will be getting what when the season rolls around. Not much cutting or wrapping for me...

i see alot of diy cutters on here. why waste good game by sending it to the processor? i think those guys can be hard to trust. plus it is an added bonus knowing how to do some things for yourself and becoming self reliant.

great posts! thanks for sharing to all.

www.wyominglostandfound.com

I go both ways.....that is I have a very competent, honest and reliable meat cutter in Salmon, ID., Chris Enzi at Rocky Mountain Custom Pack. He takes in my game no matter how crammed his locker. He only cuts and packs "my" meat, no mixing! After several years I have never had any poor taste in game or fouled meat. I take exceptional care of my game after the kill and I expect the same care from a meat cutter.
Now when time has become an issue and I must return to Calif. I will take the quarters home in large coolers and do the cutting and packing at home. I have the tools, vacuum sealer, 2hp grinder, burger bags and sealer and all the knives! Naturally I'm not as fast as a pro but I get 2 deer or 1 elk done in a day. My wife prefers it's done while she is at work due to the mess and aroma. But she is the first one to dive into a medium rare vennison steak just off the grill.
I have always been a hands on kinda guy. I believe a man must be able to perform many tasks, from fixing a leaky drain to sewing a laceration out in the field. Sometimes help just isn't there!
Paul
"Nice Rack" Taxidermy

Been cutting and wrapping my own for over 25 years. A friend is good enough to share his commercial grinder so all we have to do is buy some beef tallow to mix with the burger. I have a vacume sealer now so the "wrapping" part is a little easier. Very seldom to I have anyone say the meat has a wild taste. Normally if it does taste a little gamey it is due to a little freezer burn from small pinholes in the bags. Most game doesn't stay in my freezer long enough to freezer burn anyway.

Phantom Hunter

Only one way to know what you're eating and that is to do it yourself. I like using just the freezer bags by ziplock or equivalent. You can get an attachment to suck the air out. I have squeezed out most of it and never had any problems. Way faster than using paper and way cheaper than a vaccum pack.

Those of you looking for a way to age your game...do as reddog suggested, find an older fridge with the rounded white walls and take the shelves out. bolt some meat hooks on the inside and you can hang an elk or a couple of deer for as long as you want. I have two of em one will actually freeze meat if you turn it all the way up on the cold dial. Proper aging of game is critical.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-10-09 AT 11:41PM (MST)[p]As a hillbilly that grew up back East, everyone that grew up around me knew how to butcher game because we were broke. I can remember some very lean years where we ate whitetail deer with every dinner. As part of our butchering, we deboned all the meat and cut it into steaks, ground and stew meat. We also canned a lot of deer meat because it is delicious that way.

After moving West, I tried a local processor that was terrible. He sawed everything into big giant steaks with the bones intact. Horrible!

Finally, FLDRW22 introduced to me a local guy that knows his stuff. He is awesome and well worth the money since I'm no longer a broke @$$ hillbilly.

How long should you let it age in a refer before you cut and freeze it? I'm talking about deer, elk, and antelope. Do different spieces require different times of ageing?

I so want to learn how to cut my own meat but I never have yet. I even bought me a commercial grinder from cabelas a couple years ago.

I usually get back home on a Sunday afternoon and I am wiped out physically. Cutting up an animal is the last thing I want to do. I have to go to work on Monday, so it has always been easier to take it to a meat cutter. It kills me everytime I do because of the money and the little amount of meat I get back. The worse part though, is the poor job they do. I have been dissatisfied more than not.

Maybe if I get a spare refer I can hang it until the next weekend and then cut it up?

We have always done our own. It is so easy it makes no sense to have someone else do it. Just make sure you have no bone, silverskin, fat, or blood shot meat and there will be no gamey taste at all. I usually let them hang overnight just to let the meat set up to make it easier for cutting. I cut and freeze immediatley. I take the steaks down a few days before I plan on cooking them to thaw in the refrigerator and age a couple of days. You would be amazed at how bacon tenderizes and makes everything taste even better! Here is a link to a video that was posted on here a few years back that I found very helpful. http://www.inberg.ca/hunting_essentials/deer_cutting_&_butchering_(video).htm

You will have to copy and paste the whole link in your browser, for whatever reason it isn't taking you right to the video page.

I've cut my own a few times, but like to hang em in a cooler a little while, which I don't have. Also takes more time than I usually have. I've been going to a guy I went to school with for 20+ years. He's a hunter also. One thing is I can drop it off in his cooler anytime. He don't have to be at the shop & I hang it on the hooks & roll it in. Then when ready to cut I go wrap in pack size I want & also see he's not short changing me. His jerky, sausage, & pepperoni is excellent at reasonable prices.

I think that we need to remember that there are a lot of good processors out there. Like with anything, do your homework and
find a good one.

Having said that, most of the time I cut up my own. The meat turns out good but as with most things, there are a few drawbacks.

1- I can't age the meat

2- I do not get the same yields as many other "processors" do.
I need to get better at it, but the meat is cleaner than
many places. I probably rinse 10X than anyone else lol...

I don't like to age mine much at all.
A week to 10 days works fine for me.
I don't think that the trade off in waste is worth a little gain in tenderness, as all the dry exterior must be trimmed off & thrown away.
But then again I only cut steaks from the backstraps & tenderloins.
The rest is burger.
HH

I do my own! I have a friend who has no time to do it himself,we hunt in Colorado evey year.I have seen him get meat that was not his,(he has his CWD tested) He complained one time of not enough meat & the butcher brought out a apron full from in back & dumped it in his box?He orders sausage ,salame,Italian.Picks his animal up the next day,the steaks are cold the sausage & other stuff is rock hard Frozen (Yea sure its his animal).All for the great price of $150 for deer $275 for elk.(Craig Co.) No thank you I will do my own.......Jim

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom