Meat processing near Flaming Gorge

DidIDraw

We're hunting cow elk in WY near Flaming Gorge this Oct. Can anyone point me to a meat locker/processor in the area?

TIA

This guy did us right too.

432757DF-247E-4138-96D7-8FD38423C8E4.png

Henderson's was once good. Now they suck. Overpriced and screw up orders. Not to mention they changed the jalapeno/cheese salami on me the year I ordered a dozen big sticks to give out for Christmas gifts. It was literally inedible. I wasn't going to give it to anyone if I wouldn't eat the crap myself. When the dad owned the business, it was very good. The aforementioned salami was to die for! I'll never use them again, and neither will anyone I know.

R&B Meats in GR also has a bad reputation around the area. Their salami's also suck. Very greasy and bland. I've also heard complaints about their processing and lbs of meat given back vs amount brought in. I have very little personal experience with R&B, and of course, maybe their products are better now. I doubt it though.

Also, Henderson's could be better now. It's been a few years since they screwed myself and my buddy (who I recommended Henderson's to, and they also screwed him royally, which made me feel terrible for recommending them to him). I believe that was the first year the son took over. Maybe he learned a lesson. I'll never find out, because I won't do business there again.

Wyoming Wild Meats in Lyman is who I used when I had my ram processed in 2019. Triple-wrapped and trimmed as clean as I would have done myself. Good pepperoni snack sticks, too.

The best butcher is the one you go to locally at home. I can't see very many scenarios where you couldn't play that option. Debone the meat and put it on ice. Once it cools down if you keep the lid closed the ice will last a long time. Take it home and get the results you expect. This lets the meat age too which may or may not be important to you.

I would be very cautious of any butcher reviews. Everyone makes mistakes. Also the expectations of the customers varies so much especially when you're talking someones tastes buds.

If you make a lot of sausage you will have a bad batch. Many butchers do not cut the sausage in half when done because the min you do that you're on a timeline even if you freeze it. The only way to test it is to cut into it. It sucks when it happens to your meat. We do work for the two largest butchers locally, both employee almost triple digit employees. They have federal personal on site (i believe USDA) because they sell processed food in stores etc. They have the best of the best of everything and they still lose a batch every so often.

One tip is if if you take your meat during the off season (after New Years) you're likely to get a better product for sausages jerky etc.

I wont slander any of the businesses mentioned above but some of them have done a TON of beef and pigs for us. And they've made a lot of jalapeno sausage for use over the years. We had one year a bunch didn't turn out. It happens. We talked to them and the next year it was perfect. **** happens. Butchers don't stay in business very long if they push out bad products.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom