Meat requirements

tracker12

Very Active Member
So what are the requirements for transporting meat. Can I cut it up or do I need to leave proof of sex or something.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-10 AT 06:39AM (MST)[p]If you have a type 1 (either sex) tag you don't have to leave evidence of sex ( sorry but thats just a weird term ). All gender specific tags need to have evidence attatched until final butchering. You can transport it without evidence once its been cut and wrapped. Chip

chipc I called WY game and fish and was told you still had to leave on the meat evidence of sex. quest

Does the head count as evidence of sex? or are you required to leave a nipple if you shoot a doe?

Well Kevan, I don't know what to tell ya. I just got my Elk regs and they clearly state that if you have a TYPE 1 TAG you don't need evidence of sex - which would make sense because if your tag is good for either sex why would you need evidence ?? Anyway, after reading your post I called the Wyo game and fish (307-777-4600 ) and talked to Pam. She said if you have a TYPE 1 TAG you DO NOT need to leave evidence of sex. I'm not trying to get into a I'm right - you're wrong thing I'm just trying to help someone avoid a hassle that they don't need to have. Chip.

CHIP,
I bet if you called a number of times and each time got someone different, you might have some mixed responses. Best way to avoid any trouble would be to leave "one nut" attached or a "teat" or two and be safe, never know how the GW might interpret the rules.

But I like your response, makes sense to me too. I have a type 1 lope tag this coming season there too.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Evidence of sex must be attached...no matter what type of tag you have.

Try going through a check station without it...good luck and have a pen handy...make sure to press hard to get your signature on all 5 copies.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-10 AT 11:20PM (MST)[p]That experience talking or something you heard? I've been through check stations near Cody and Laramie a number of times with elk that were quartered up shot in general license area's, good for either sex, no evidence attached and have never been cited nor questioned. Last year I shot a deer, had it wrapped up in my backback laying in the back of my truck. No sooner than I get ready to leave and the warden comes over to check things out. It was in an either sex area. He didn't say anything about evidence of sex. Apparently common sense takes precedence...

I think its complicated and you will proabably get different answers depending on who you talk to. In my opinion, if its an either-sex tag, then no evidence of sex shold be required. The problem is that some units are "antlered only" units, where some units are either sex. Take the Region G general deer tag for example - It is good for either sex deer. But only units 143 and 144 within the region allow does to be harvested. Units 135 and 145 are antlered deer only. Clear as mud.

Personally I hate leaving a nut or the scrotum attached. I have the damn antlers with me, which should be reasonable proof of the sex.

We boned our antelope out and put in ziplocs in a cooler, 1 antelope per cooler. The udder went into a separate bag and into the same cooler as the meat was in. Got checked twice and both wardens were appreciative on what we did. Your miles may vary though....

I talked to a WY game warden yesterday and another one today and they both told me in an any elk unit you don't have to leave evidence of sex attached.
flyingbrass
cold dead hands
NRA Life Member

It says right in the regulations that evidence of sex must be retained only if the tag/area are for a specific sex. If an either sex tag, no evidence of it is required. If you get a ticket for not leaving evidence of sex on an either sex tag then I would take that to court. Game wardens should have to follow the regulations just like we do.

I have hunted Wyoming alot in the last 7-8 years Flyingbrass and WYO are correct.

All the Wardens in Wyoming i have come across are very fair and seem to use common sense when it comes to the practicality of getting the animals of the mountain, sometimes in many pieces.

One year i stopped at a check station while on my way to the butchers with a buck i had taken.When the warden checked the deer and my tag he asked to see my Hunter safety card(which you must carry with you while hunting in Wyoming).It was then that i discovered i had left it back in California.

I figured i would get a ticket for sure.He asked where i was camping i told him and he said he would do some checking and if there was any problems he would come by my camp.Not sure what he was going to check but he never came by.I thought that was pretty fair.

>When the warden checked the
>deer and my tag he
>asked to see my Hunter
>safety card(which you must carry
>with you while hunting in
>Wyoming).

I never carry one and I'm pretty sure I'll never get a ticket.

He throws out the bait, he feels a nibble, he set's the hook...

>safety card(which you must carry
>with you while hunting in
>Wyoming).
I have been hunting in WY since 1983 and have been checked out a number of times over the years and never once was I ask to see my Hunter Safety Card. Drivers License, Hunters Lic YES.

Now Eelgrass will come here and make some smart wise crack about that I have been hunting before they ever came out with them...LOL...but I did take the test the first year they were started in 1954 both in Penn & Ca.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Well this is out of the Regulations they send you when you draw a tag.

Under Hunter Safety requirements:

"No person born on or after January 1 1966 may take any wildlife by use of firearms on land other than that of his own family, unless the person possesses and can exhibit a hunter safety certificate.Compliance will be checked in the field".

I have hunted in Wyoming exactly one time (2008) and we stopped at a checkpoint in medicine bow. They checked my buddys antelope and checked me too. Guess what, they asked for my hunter education card (im a non resident and was 30 at the time). I didn't have it with me and the warden said I would be cited if they checked me again with a harvest. Seemed fair to me. I killed a buck late the next day and the checkpoint was gone when we drove through.

Anybody know of a meat locker / butcher around Muddy Gap, WY or in Rawlins? Heading over to hunt antelope and may need to get a cape in the freezer and have meat processed before heading back to Oregon. Any suggestions appreciated.

I told you Kilowatt has a photographic memory!

Does a 40" wide 9X11 deer rack qualify as evidence of sex? I'll use it if it does.

Eel

In Colorado that rack means nothing as far as sex goes. They are a pain and will cite you if proof of sex in not attached to the meat. I was very fortuate to get a break several yers ago thinking antlers and cape would qualify. WY seems a lot more fair.

Rawlins or Casper is it as far as I ever knew. It was a long time ago but I used to use a guy back at the fair grounds in Rawlins. He was a little freaked out when I brought in a quartered buck until he looked at it good and asked if I cut meat for a living. BTW on the Hunter Ed Card deal. When you look like an old timer they don't ask. That is the "pot" calling the "kettle" GRAY. ;-)

Pat C.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom