Mechanical Broadheads for elk?

L

lkeele07

Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on using mechanical broadheads on elk. Agree or disagree please let me know why? If you have an experience please tell!

I killed my first archery elk with a vortex 125 grain two blade. Same hunt my partner arrowed his first bull at 28 yards with same head. Yes they kill elk, but are they the best option for elk, in my opinion , NO. We shot and neither arrow passed through . Since then we have both switched to fixed blade heads that fly great on carbon arrows and I have had complete pass throughs on both my archery elk and he has killed another nice bull w/pass through . There are just too many great fixed blade heads to ever choose from over an open on impact head. But there are some good OOI heads and yeah they still kill elk. Better be a very broad side shot or very slight quartering away shot...

I use to swear by mechanical for deer...have used them since they first come out...back then the first one were called punch cutters..they had a piston that slid open the blades, out the rear...I had no problems with this type..but I always thought they needed a better head instead of just a pencil point...

Then the forward deploying mechanical came out...and thats when I started having problems...on severe angeling shots, one side would deploy and vere the arrow...I went back to the old type until a new dezign that had a longer head came out...this did not fix the problem completly, but helped...

now they have come out with the Rage with rear deploying blades...another one I noticed is the Piston Point Broadhead..
If I was going to try an expandable on elk...I would want a rear blade deployment with a cut on impact head...just like the ones I have mentioned...

I won't let any of my clients hunt elk with mechanicals. They do NOT penetrate as well as fixed blade and cut on contact broadheads, and the possiblity of the blades not opening is to high of a risk IMHO for a large noble animal like an bull elk.

PRO

I have to say, I have seen a couple deer killed with mechanicals that did not open at all! Needless to say they do not use them anymore.

Why risk loosing an elk to a mechanical broadhead? shoot a good solid fixed blade, dead elk!

right now i shoot muzzies, but am thinking about triton XL's and the shuttle T's
Casey

If you use the Snyper or Rage rearward deploying blades you will have no problems at all especially on angled hits. Read Joe Bells article a few months ago in Bow and Arrow Hunting Magazine on angled hits. He says that even some of the fixed blade heads that have sharp blade angles can deflect off an animal on impact. Fixed blade heads that have small cutting diameter and blades that go to the tip with short, severe angled blades can have problems on angled hits. I'd never use the first generation fold forward mechanicals period. The Snyper actually out performed all heads fixed and mechanical on Joes angled shot testing. The tip of the body is well within the animal before the blades are deployed. Also, the blades are fully deployed just before entry resulting in an excellent entry wound. I'll try to find some photos of an elk entry wound for you.

Don't risk an elk by using a mech broadhead. There is always the big "IF" on whether it will open up or be strong enough if you hit bone. They even have problems with fixed blades hitting bone on elk, so why risk it with a mech? Just doesn't make any sense at all.

Great topic, and one I have debated over and over. I am one of the few believers in mechanicals. I began shooting mechanicals about 9 or 10 years ago because they are accurate and they fly like darts. I have shot elk, deer, and bear, and never had a problem, and always had great entry/exit wounds - in fact, my bull last year barely made it 25 yards. BUT, each year I debate with fellow archers about whether I will use them again. This year I have a great elk hunt planned, and again, I find myself debating and defending my choice to shoot mechanicals. In all fairness, I think mechanicals are unfairly criticized. That being said, I think I might convert this year. I guess it is because I don't want to even take the chance that my equipment might fail - there are already too many things that can go wrong, why add another. And, nothing would be worse than wounding a big ol' bull. Bottom line, this year it'll be 28 1/2 inches of fixed blade fury for me.

I don't like them for much of anything. If you have to shoot a mechanical to get your bow to shoot it's a poorly tuned bow. I have seen many tests over the years and in the majority of them the fixed blades most always out performed the mechanicals. I have helped numerous hunters track game wounded with them but in most cases it boiled down to a poor shot or poor shot selection. I actually saw one hit an Elk in the shoulder blade and bounce back at the hunter with a 70 lb. bow! That sealed the deal for me and quite a few guides won't allow you to use them for a reason. I'm a fixed blade man and so is my wife. A thunderhead, shuttle T, Wacem and a few others are all much better in the long run IMO.

I really like concept of the rear deploying mechanicals. I shot the G5 Tekan for a few months. My biggest problem is that you have to visually inspect them when you take one from the quiver, to see if it has deployed or anything as changed. With a fixed, it is the same when you take it out as when you put it in the quiver. With archery, I like to keep things as simple as possible.

The G5 Tekan II is the best of both worlds. It has a cut on contact head and rearward deploying blades, and they shoot like a dream. Many mechanical heads are poorly designed IMO, however the Tekan II is not one of these. The elk that was killed in our camp last year went 21 total yards with a complete pass through.
I will be using the 100 gr Tekan for sure after seeing that.

www.g5outdoors.com/#sec_tekan

}}-SLIVER-->

I took a Bull elk with a mecanical Rocket steel head 100 grain shot the elk at 45 yards a complete pass through the bull went 40 yards and died... I wouldnt hesitate to shoot the steel head at elk.

I am a fan of the G5 Strikers (which I will be hunting elk with this year),,,, but I did take an elk last year with a 100gr Rocket steelhead at 42 yds and I was happy with the performance... The elk was down within 60 yds. I feel that Rocket makes an awesome head and you will not catch me dissin' on them but I will be hunting elk with a fixed head this year. I have also taken a few elk with muzzys as well in the past. Anyhow just my 02'
redelkarcher>>>----------------->

The facts are a well placed arrow is always best so if that means that the mechanical broadhead will give better shot placement then it is better!I've killed 3 elk with mechanical broadheads and pass threws is all I've got I have kill 1 and lost an elk with fix blade and not had either got good penitration so what ever fly right works right.

I see NO advantage in a mechanical head. The new fixed blade heads that are out fly great. So I just do not understand why you would want to even try a mechanical head. There seems to no longer be an advantage in flight, and there is higher risk.

just use a magnus stinger 4 blade and penetration will not be any kind of problem. The arrow will not even slow down on its way thru. If your bow is tuned properly they fly right with field points so the better accuracy argument is moot. Plus you can touch them up very easily so they are so sharp they become scary to handle. Best fixed blade killing machine I have ever shot and I think they out perform any 3 blade head in every regard. With that said I think I need to change my handle to 4blade...

I use the sonoran mechanical broadheads and i will not use any other with 15 archery elk under my belt and shots from 12 yards to 67 yards i have always had a pass through and none of the elk have made it passed the 40 yard mark before piling up. we shot alot of difrent broadheads into a steel drum and the the g5 performed the worst it disinagrated just after entry. my thinking is shot what shoots best for you.

Here is what it narrows down to, mechs shoot far more accurate and are more forgiving, when you are twisted around a tree breathing hard and excited and release, a mech is more forgiving and may stay on target while a fixed would not.

Rocket stealheads out penetrate 95% of fixed blade heads (based on several different studies - this includes muzzy, thunderhead and otehr well known fixed heads) period, coupled with their incredible accuracy, and if you avoid steep angle shots (which I do with anything) you are far more likely to take your elk cleanly then with a fixed head, period. Accuracy is the number one priority, penetration number 2 rocket stealheads beat any fixed head hands down on both issues.

95% of bowhunters do not have their bows tuned well enough to shoot fixed heads perfectly, but mechs will shoot fine out of untuned bows and are more forgiving.

I would be scared to have anything but a mech at the end of my bow this fall and anyone saying they are bad is ignorant dumb or both. I can tell you a long list of stories about failures of thunderheads, muzzy's and every other popular head, maybe we need to ban them too?

LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-07 AT 01:51PM (MST)[p]That still doesn't offset the fact that some guides that see more game killed or lost by archers at many different skill levels don't like them too much and some won't let their hunters use them. I wouldn't classify them as ignorant or dumb either just maybe a little more experienced in making sure a guy has a good hunting experience on an animal the size of a bull elk. Don you've been archery hunting way too long to make the statement "that you'd be scared to hunt with anything else" especially when you've more than likely killed game with a fixed blade broadhead. I find that funny when we both know there's been literally hundreds of thousands more animals killed with fixed blade broadheads than any other type. But yet you'd be afraid to go into the woods with one? :^) Both designs work and work well if you pick a quality design and make a good shot.

By the way Don you'd be hunting them with a spear if they had a permit for that and they don't get any more fixed blade than that!:^)

>I use the sonoran mechanical broadheads
>and i will not use
>any other with 15 archery
>elk under my belt and
>shots from 12 yards to
>67 yards i have always
>had a pass through and
>none of the elk have
>made it passed the 40
>yard mark before piling up.
>we shot alot of difrent
>broadheads into a steel drum
>and the the g5 performed
>the worst it disinagrated just
>after entry. my thinking is
>shot what shoots best for
>you.

Which broadhead do you like hunter1, 2 blade or 3 blade?

The thing I don't like about the sonoran is if you don't get a pass through the is such a small entrance hole, so there will probably be a smalle blood trail.

I do not like the mechanicals! I have seen them fail too many times and I discourage their use. Why add another variable when we all know that everything that can go wrong,,, usually does.

OK. Now having said all that. I have a question for all you guides & outfitters. Who the hell said anybody needs your permission to hunt with mechanicals? As long as they are not breaking the law, they can use them if they want! They are paying you to provide a service and if they agree with your opinion, , , fine. But if they don't, keep your OPINION to yourself and do the job you are being paid to do. That goes for choice of rifle caliber as well.

I talked to a well known elk outfitter this spring and he told me if you draw a tag and want to hunt with him it's fixed BH's or you don't hunt with him. Thats ok with me because as long as they keep makeing Magnus Snuffers and Stingers I will be shooting them.

it really dosent matter what type of broadhead you shoot the fact is a bad shot is a bad shot and people loose elk every year due to it so dont put the blame on the type of broadhead someone chooses to hunt with. practice practice practice. that you cant hunt with me attitude is the wrong approch that would be like me saying you wont ride with me because i drive a chevy and they break down to much. people just need to watch the shots they take and practice and stop blaming there equipment.

I have used both mech and fixed on deer. But this year my brother and I have trophy bull tags and two of my buddies and I were talking and I decided to go with g5 montec. I took the time to tune them and they fly like field points. I will never go back to mechanicals now after shooting these with the accuracy it is a no brainer. i had a little voice all the time in my head of not knowing if the mechanicals would open or not. Anyway too much of a chance to take especially on an elk. I know it is about shot placement but I have heard some very bad things on the tekan II heads of having a bad blood trail. Hopefully we can score and I wont have any doubts flying around inside my head when I draw my bow back.

>I have used both mech and
>fixed on deer. But
>this year my brother and
>I have trophy bull tags
>and two of my buddies
>and I were talking and
>I decided to go with
>g5 montec. I took
>the time to tune them
>and they fly like field
>points. I will never go
>back to mechanicals now after
>shooting these with the accuracy
>it is a no brainer.
> i had a little
>voice all the time in
>my head of not knowing
>if the mechanicals would open
>or not. Anyway too
>much of a chance to
>take especially on an elk.
> I know it is
>about shot placement but I
>have heard some very bad
>things on the tekan II
>heads of having a bad
>blood trail. Hopefully we
>can score and I wont
>have any doubts flying around
>inside my head when I
>draw my bow back.

I have never used the G-5 but I do shoot the Magnus Snuffer SS and they look very simular and I will tell you that 3 blade c on c will defffinitly get it done !!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom