Mid-October Elk Calling

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I don't hunt elk much and I certainly can't bugle worth a crap. I drew a general WY elk tag and I will be out doing a ton of hiking. Should I stick with cow calls primarily? I don't think that bugling much as a locator works that time of year, does it? Any help is appreciated...seriously, ANY help at all! I'll be in unit 94 if anyone else will be up there for the first 10 days of the season. Thanks!

By rifle season I use calls very sparingly- typically just a cow call to stop a moving elk or to get one to stand up out of it's bed. I would avoid bugling during a general season hunt.
You never know, Dave...I can probably call some potential friends/elk packers to me if I use the bugle!

From people I know who have hunted Wyoming that time of year, they've described it as purely spot n stalk, or "spot and crank out a 700yd shot" in some cases. I think a cow call is the only thing you might use, for fun. ;)

For a general WY elk tag, cow calls are a good choice, especially if you're not confident in bugling. Early season bugling may work, but cow calls can be more consistent for attracting elk. Good luck in unit 94!

Just got back from an Archery hunt in one of New Mexico's better-known units, and the bulls weren't really bugling much yet. They certainly weren't fired up enough to come to calls. It's a weird year, so I'd say it's possible that some areas will be catching the tail end of the rut in mid October. You might be in luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom