Midweek Hike in the Hills

D

Deadduck

I had the day off, so I took the opportunity to do some hiking, scouting, and just enjoying of the outdoors. I went up on the Oquirrh's above kennecott. Still a little snow up on top, and the air was a little chilly.
I saw 37 deer, including several bucks that had horns already showing. Deer looked to be in good shape. Females did not look like they had fawned yet, since the ones that were close, still looked very fat. I did see several winter killed deer/skeletons, most were down in the lower foothills, and most were in the bottom of gulleys.
I saw one herd of elk, but they were too far away to get a good look at.
I saw several different flocks of turkeys. THey are beatiful, I would like to hunt them some time, if I could ever draw a permit.
I cut 2 sets of cougar tracks, both were up mid-elevation. I saw 2 coyotes, and more coyote tracks, than deer tracks.
THe one thing I didn't see, was any sheds. YOu guys who find sheds are amazing. I hiked for 5 hours, covered 7 or 8 miles, and didn't see another human track. But I couldn't find even a small spike shed.
The only thing I know is me and Mo (my black lab) were out of shape, cause we are feeling it now. But it was a great way to spend a day, when there is no hunting going on.

hey i'm like you, i couldn't find a shed for the world. Sounds like you had a better day than i did. Here in Oklahoma, we almost broke 100. To hot for my taste.

Yeah, shed are hard for me to pick up also, but one thing is for sure, elk are a lot easyier then deer.
Michael

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom