Migrating Elk

live4muleys

What have you guys noticed with the elk migrating to lower country? Do they wait til the snow actually falls or do they move the same time of year regardless of the snow fall.

i think deer and elk move with or without snow they already no when its time.

Per my observations, it depends on the whims of the individual elk, but as a general rule I think elk wait until the snow flys. If it doesn't snow, they'll stay high. I especially notice this while shed hunting in the spring. Depending on the year, come drop time, the sheds seem to be concentrated at different elevations depending on the snow line. However, I also know of individual bulls that stay at lower elevations, that never seem to leave the same two square miles.

ya it seems like some of the bigger bulls will always goto the same spots on the winter range

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom