"Military residency"

N

NDhunter

For the past few months I have been applying and looking into hunting sheep and goats and have found some info that I wanted to pass on to my military brothers. California and Texas DO NOT require you to be stationed within the state in order for military members to apply/buy tags as residents. After reading the Colorado sheep and goat booklet about 100 times and talking on the phone twice with personnel in the Denver office I have come to the conclusion that you DO have to be stationed in Colorado to purchase/apply for resident tags. The sheep/goat booklet is misleading, and should be rewritten. The Colorado biggame (elk and deer) brochure literature is somewhat different which is why I had to question it. All other states that I have looked into are very easy to understand on this issue. I even had a few English teachers look at it and their conclusion was the same as mine, but the CO Game and Fish sees it differently. Sorry that I am venting, just still upset that I have to send off 3,000 instead of 300 in a couple weeks. Semper Fi.

Let the steam off. I would be ticked as well. Thanks for jumping on here and thanks for your service to our country....Allen Taylor......

When I was in the military, the way that I understood it was that you could only claim military residency for hunting purposes in for one state a year. I don't know if your intent is to apply as a resident in multiple states, but if anyone is thinking of doing that, I don't think that is allowable for military.

dragon20.gif

You can buy resident tags in the state where you are stationed, and the state in which you claim residency. What ever state you pay taxes in, register your vehicles, have a drivers license in, and vote is where you are considered a resident. Most states have a short period of time military members must be stationed there to buy resident tags, some don't require any ammount of time--once you show up you can buy resident tags, Alaska is the most restrictive--with military members needing to be on station for a year to buy resident tags (but until then they get nonresident at half price). Texas and California are in a league of their own and don't even require military members to be stationed there to get resident licenses. So in theory a person on active duty can apply for resident tags in 4 states (maybe more, I haven't done any research east of the mississippi river). Great incentive to join up right?? Too bad you are gambling if you can get the time off. Never know when it is going to be time to "play in the sandbox". Semper Fi.

Where are you stationed? I am one of the few Marines in the UK and it is killing me not being in a deployable billet with all thats going on. Good luck on your draws, and thanks for the info. I hope to pull a miracle and head home to AZ on a couple hunts this fall.

S/F

Stationed out here in Cherry Point NC, pretty far from good sheep country. I usually make it back to ND every year for deer and pheasants in November. Last year went up to Manitoba in June on a spring bear hunt, had a blast and am going back in a couple months, hopefully. What do you hunt out there in AZ? Good luck in the draw and hope you make it back to AZ this fall. Semper Fi.

I apply for almost everything in AZ. My favorites are elk, coues deer and javalina. I am still building bonus pts on antelope and sheep so am quite inexperienced with those critters. One day I will get lucky and draw out. As far as NC goes, I did my fair share of hunting on Lejeune. If you ever get down that way and don't know where to set up a treestand give me a holler and I will launch a couple areas your way.

S/F

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom