ML elk statewide

fuzzyvelvet

I am looking into putting in for the statewide ML elk hunt next season. Just wondering if anyone has hunted it before and has any input? What are some of the better open units? Elk numbers, size of bulls, if they are callable elk? Hunting pressure, public access? You info is much appreciated.

Fuzzy

I had this tag in 05 and didnt find an elk during the season. In July I scouted unit 80 and saw alot of elk. By opening day in Sept I couldnt find an elk.
Good luck with Colorado. I hope you have access to private property.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-02-08 AT 06:06AM (MST)[p]If you want to do a DIY hunt,be prepared to work hard.I would sugjest you do a drop camp with an outfitter.A good outfitter will put you into an elk area and help getting your elk out .If you want to be successful,go with a guide or get on a good ranch.Remember that the archery hunters have already had a couple of weeks to push the elk arround.
I have been on several Colorado hunts and unless you have pref points to draw a limited tag area ,you need to get 2-4 miles away from any roads to find many elk.Colorado gets a tremendous amount of hunting pressure and you will have other hunters in your area no matter where you go .If you can hike into an area so can someone else.As for a good area,I like NW Colorado .It has alot of elk and access is pretty easy.Routte National Forest is open to the public and holds alot of elk.NE of Steamboat is a good area along with the area west of Oak Creek,very popular with hunters.
Send me a PM if you want some more areas to look at.

Why all the doom and gloom about elk hunting in CO? I think over a 1/3 of the state is public land, there is more elk than MT and WY combined... Lots of hunters but not an ungodly amount, get off a road, or ATV trail. Do a little reserch and you should be able to find an elk or 200.

Scouting elk in July and expecting them to be the same place 2 months later is pretty wishful thinking. IMO

Hunt the tree line, or the deep thick timber high on the mountian in September. The elk have their winter coats, and are not likely to be lolly gagging out and about in the meadows or south/west facing slopes that get hot during the day. Personally I don't think bowhunters have that much effect on them. Course you might want to get away from a road father than you can hear a bugle to experience the same.

Frankly I've been more discusted in hunting wilderness areas in MT as of late than I have with public land hunts in CO. I see way more hunters in MT.

>If you can't find elk in
>NW CO on public land
>you aren't looking very hard.
>

I have hunted alot in NW Colorado and I never have been tripping over elk , they all come hard.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom