MM Biggest Loser Motivation

EROCK1313

LAST EDITED ON Mar-05-10 AT 02:40PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-05-10 AT 02:35?PM (MST)

I thought I would start this thread as a place for people to put their motivational tips / stories for all of you that entered in the MM "Biggest Loser Challenge."

Here is mine:

My Motivation.....

Last year during the Utah Bowhunt; my 54 year old father kept pretty even with me during some pretty long/steep hunts for Muleys/Elk. I was in better shape (206 lbs) after only 1.5 months of hitting the gym than the prior year (225 lbs), but packing out elk is no good when your feeling more than twice your age (I'm 34) and you feel like you're going to have a heart attack before your father and all you want to do, is NOT let your father see you "Wuss Out" as you collapse under your own weight, let alone that of the addtional game animal.

About a month ago, I was listening to some NPR type broadcast at about 1am on my way back from my second job. It was talking about this person or book (can't remember) but how they stated:

"Define your year in only 4 words. Let these 4 words determine how you will live your year and become a better person and how that will affect your future and the rest of your life after this year is up."

This seemed rather easy at first, but coming up with only 4 words to define an entire year....Not so easy! With working Two jobs since right after last year's bowhunt and tons of overtime from my Primary Job, it didn't seem that I had any time to better myself for next year's hunt. Excuses poured in as effortlessly as the pounds from years prior...But then after a long session of thinking/daydreaming of drawing the Henry's while at my 2nd job, one word hit me like a ton of bricks: SACRIFICE! This had to be my starting point. I repeated this word out loud and in my head hundreds of times a day until it sunk in what I needed to do.

It took me awhile to come up with the other 3, but here is what I came up with:

S.C.A.R. =

Sacrifice
Commitment
Attitude
Resilience

The words and their deep meanings, just flowed and just happened to spell "S.C.A.R." which as the dictionary defines it = "leaving a permanent mark." This was what I was going to do...leave a permanent mark on my year to be able to look back on it as a success!

I also decided that if I am going to do this, I need something that will hold me accountable.

The first step, was entering this MM "Biggest Loser Challenge."

The second step, came by pure chance as I signed on my lease for my new apartment. They had a "Get-Fit Challenge" for all of the Residents/Employees/Non-Residents and the last chance for entry/weigh-ins was 5 minutes after I signed the lease (this was 1 Week after starting the MM "Biggest Loser Challenge").

The prize for the 12 week challenge winner: $2500 off rent for Residents, $1500 cash each for Employees/Non-Residents. What really sucked me in though, is that I had to pay $100 to enter! I also have to attend at least 1 Boot Camp Session per week for 12 weeks with regular weigh-ins every 3 weeks. If I miss any of the classes or Weigh-ins, I'm out.

I don't know about you, but I get sick to my stomach just losing a crisp $20 so there is NO WAY IN HELL I wanted to lose a C-Note! 1st weigh in for that Challenge, I was #24 out of 48 total contestants (Residents/Employees/Non-Residents). After my week 6 weigh-in last week, I am at #6 overall but #1 for Residents. I attend 2 Trainer led Bootcamps a week and one I do on my own without a trainer. Now I am working on adding a little more cardio on the "off" days from Boot Camps.

Ramtagless and my dad started the flame under me, but my four words or "S.C.A.R." are what keep me going! I challenge you to FIND YOUR 4 WORDS!!!

?-ERock-> ?

Great post erock. Thanks.

The work out I am doing now uses three words.

Decide Commit Succeed

Decide on a game plan to meet your goals. Commit to that game plan and don't deviate. And succeed.

The time thing is important. It is a common excuse and just that - an excuse. No one is so busy they don't have 20 minutes a day to commit to fitness.

Another comment about time. If you are in good shape - staying in shape is easier and takes less time. My wife is a very good runner ? she can hop out of bed, strap on her shoes and run 3 miles in a little over 20 minutes and she is done. Me ? I get up, take a shower to warm up my muscles, drink a cup of coffee, stretch for an hour so I don't blow a hammy and it take me 30 minutes to run the same distance.

Get in shape ? maintenance is easy?.

Here's my 4 words:

I'll
Get
Laid
More

LOL! Actually, I just want to be able to access more country during my hunts. I want to look better and feel better. And I want to be able to keep up with Leicabucks so I can follow him around his hunting spots :)
Also, UT1031 is an old man and he kicked my trash out hiking last year. That made me feel like crap since I'm 27 and should be in great shape. Both these guys and other MM members are inspirations to me for thier dedication and hard work getting to the honey holes and searching for those trophies.
I hope this year will treat me good, I'm down almost 20 pounds and I feel great. By the the time August rolls around I'll be ready for those elusive SOB'in deer/elk that sit in the bushes at laugh at the fat kid every year.

Thanks for this post!!! I was actually starting to lose faith in MM and hardly visit anymore. I was SOOOO tired of all the SFW cry babies and the SFW supporters going back and forth that I decided that I just would not come her often anymore.

This post gives me faith that there are still GOOD things to be learned here on MM!!! THANKS for that!

I also am working on getting in better shape. I have got my diet in much better shape and I am starting to feel better. I am still having a hard time getting in all the exercise in that I need. I travel all the time and it hard to get down to a room in a hotel to work out. I am going to get better though!!

Again thanks for renewing my faith in MM!!!!

Yes, I too have been inspired by the accomplishments of Members on here and their accomplishments along with Ramtagless' Challenge, are also partly what is driving me for this fall.

Honestly, I know none of them personally and though there are many on here that inspire (wish I could list everyone), here are just a few from the top of my head to name and the reasons they apply to my 4 words of "S.C.A.R.":

Sacrifice = Slamdunk because after his relentlessnes on the Dutton with Stinky last year when others would have given up and turned away.

Commitment = SWBuckmaster for his conquering of the Mighty Wasatch and managing to pull "dinks" (LoL) off of there almost every chance. Although I have been to the top solo as a 230lb Bowhunter, I have yet to accomplish what he has with his time and efforts.

Attitude = BOHNTR because he always seems to "Get-R-Done" regardless of the challenge and always has something kind to say in his humbleness after he takes animals most of us can only dream of.

Resilience = Founder, for keeping this awesome community going as long as it has and giving people like me; a "Soap Box" to air my thoughts and queries.

?-ERock-> ?

>Thanks for this post!!! I was
>actually starting to lose faith
>in MM and hardly visit
>anymore. I was SOOOO tired
>of all the SFW cry
>babies and the SFW supporters
>going back and forth that
>I decided that I just
>would not come her often
>anymore.
>
>This post gives me faith that
>there are still GOOD things
>to be learned here on
>MM!!! THANKS for that!
>
>I also am working on getting
>in better shape. I have
>got my diet in much
>better shape and I am
>starting to feel better. I
>am still having a hard
>time getting in all the
>exercise in that I need.
>I travel all the time
>and it hard to get
>down to a room in
>a hotel to work out.
>I am going to get
>better though!!
>
>Again thanks for renewing my faith
>in MM!!!!

Your Welcome FishlakeElkHunter!!

To me, MM is a community where we all seek support of one sort or another and in some sort of fashion, otherwise; why would we post our thoughts? I am glad to be a small portion of that support as well as have it from others!

Great job on changing your diet too! Honestly, next to Motivation; I think that is the hardest part of trying to create a healthy lifestyle.

Has anyone else given any thought to what their "4 Words" might be to define your year??

?-ERock-> ?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom