Monroe vs Pahvant?

93trojan

Hi all. Just wanted to get some opinions on these two units. I've saved some $ and am ready for a landowner tag! I notice that the Pahvant tags are more expensive. I think that the bulls there, on average, are a little bigger historically. But Ive heard that the tags on the Monroe have been cut back for a couple of years. The Utah hunt survey shows that almost twice as many bulls were taken off the Pahvant last year. It's all very confusing to me!

What say you?

The Pahvant hands down. There is a reason the tags sell for more. Look at the auction tags. Without question the Pahvant gives you a better chance at a giant. I have watched with saddness as the Monroe has slipped. Yes there are still some good bulls but it is not what it use to be.

Both units are capable of producing a good bull, but pahvant I think has a better track record over the years of producing big bulls, but the country will be steeper and deeper. Monroe is somewhat a gentle man hunt as far as country goes.

I have spent a lot of time scouting and guiding on both units and they both have their strenghts and weaknesses. I feel like both have been over hunted for my liking. I used to be able to find 400 inch bulls each year now they are few and far between. Still unless you consider the Spider Bull the Pahvant has the Monroe beat hands down on past performance. It is also easier to glass and scout if you know where you are going! If you need a guide I know a good one locally. He has worked for me before and he is one hell of a good elk judge on the hoof.

Don't know the Pahvant that well but I spend a fair amount of time on the Monroe and it is not looking good. We have 6 trail cams out and haven't seen a bull yet that would pass the 350 mark.

No question at all. Pahvant. Spend the extra money, more quality bulls to be found for sure. If you need help next year feel free to PM i know that mtn pretty well.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom