Monsoons...

GeorgeE

Does Utah get anything like this, like Arizona does...? Such as good Monsoon years, good growth years...

'Ike'

Yes, Utah does get some moisture from the Monsoons. August through September we can get some nasty thunder storms daily in the afternoon-evening hours. especially in the southern half of the state. Plan on thunderstorms during this time of year. They generally don't last very long, but they can let loose alot of moisture in a short period of time. Is your tag on the Vernon unit? If so you should be prepared for rain, but shouldn't be as bad as the in the southern half of the state.

>Yes, Utah does get some moisture
>from the Monsoons. August through
>September we can get some
>nasty thunder storms daily in
>the afternoon-evening hours. especially in
>the southern half of the
>state. Plan on thunderstorms during
>this time of year. They
>generally don't last very long,
>but they can let loose
>alot of moisture in a
>short period of time. Is
>your tag on the Vernon
>unit? If so you should
>be prepared for rain, but
>shouldn't be as bad as
>the in the southern half
>of the state.

Interesting, thanks...No, I'm in the FishLake Unit but was wondering more about drought conditions in the West, as we're big time dry here...That and how Antler growth is affected!

'Ike'

Not to the extent AZ does. It is far more sporadic and dependent on large high pressure systems 'flinging' the humidity north to reach N UT. Once that big high pressure passes, it is back to low humidity and no rain for a while until the next high pressure sets up to the SE of four-corners. Sometimes it is weeks between systems. Sometimes it is a month or more before another large-enough system comes in. My recollection us that Aug is most reliable for moisture, after grasses are has completely dried and needs more than a rain or two to resurrect.

There is a reason UT is the second driest state, drier than AZ. E just don't get the intrusion of humid air masses in the summer to the extent AZ does.

Ah, so you're getting pressure/storms coming up from the South per 'se and not building up when hot meets cool like here in the Sierra's...Interesting, that and August can be wet...Thank you!

'Ike'

Bow hunting at high elevations (Fishlake) re: moisture, can be a hit or miss proposition. Wet and cold or hot and dry. Seems to be no middle ground during the bow hunt.
It's a special place in the world for sure.
Good luck on your hunt.
Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Jun-18-13 AT 04:42PM (MST)[p]George, One thing you need to remember about Fish Lake or the high country in general. It is totally different the most of the other parts of the state. I was up there the 9th of this month and the aspens are just starting to grow leaves up above 9000 feet. It can rain anytime or snow. I have had it snow on me on June 24th and had frost on the ground on July 4th. In general there is water or streams everywhere and plenty of grass. We have had a little less snow then normal this year.
In others words . Its not like Arizona where you can hunt a water hole there is water everywhere. Temps can be 90 at the bottom of the mountain and 78 up on top.
Good luck on you hunt
Here I am on 7 mile road 6-2-2013
4841snow6913.jpg

Thanks guys, interesting...As you said John, high country is just that and can generate it's own weather at times..Or so it seems!

I was just curious if it had anything to do with antler growth like it can in AZ...Such as no Spring/Summer rains, the 'tops' don't seem to fill out as well and so on...You touched on the fact that there's going to be water and grass/feed and that's always key...Thanks again!

'Ike'

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom