Montana Bighorn Trial Update

Zigga

Long Time Member
I still think the Montana FWP should be slammed for this whole fiasco. They owe everyone an apology and need to change how they manage pretty much everything. Someone's head needs to roll but I have a feeling that nothing will change.

The Whitehall taxidermist charged with illegally buying a bighorn sheep from an undercover game warden is seen telling the agent not to talk about using two-way radios in a video of the hunt that a prosecutor played Monday before a jury.

John Lewton also tells Justin Gibson, the undercover agent with the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks, that he shouldn't mention that they crossed private property to get to the public land where the ram was killed.

"You shouldn't mention those radios," Lewton says on tape after the ram was shot by Gibson during the September 2008 hunt. "I don't have a map with me, but you can get in here without crossing private land."

Lewton is on trial in Boulder district court for allegedly buying the ram from Gibson after the hunt. State prosecutors allege Lewton knew the ram was killed illegally because he led Gibson and another undercover agent in a hunt that broke several laws, including the radio use, by trespassing and by driving off road on ATVs.

But Jack Morris, a Whitehall

attorney, has attacked the state's case, saying no one forced Gibson to shoot the ram. He has contended that Gibson killed the trophy, which is among the largest ever killed in the state, for his own pleasure as well as to elevate the charges against Lewton to felonies.

The video of the hunt shows Lewton leading Gibson on the hunt, with Blake Trangmoe, one of Lewton's assistants, following. It was shot by the other undercover agent and also shows James Reed, another assistant for Lewton, atop a high vantage point.

Gibson testified that Reed was directing them where to go over the radio. And Gibson said Lewton was using alias names.

"As soon as they would run, we knew exactly where they went," Gibson said while being questioned by Kathleen Jenks, assistant attorney general. "And we would be directed to that location over and over."

The video shows Gibson missing the ram on several occasions. Lewton can be heard at one point telling Gibson to shoot the middle ram, the largest of the group.

Gibson said as the purposeful misses grew, he felt the tension rising among the group. After three misses, the ram along with three others stopped about 100 yards away and Gibson said he couldn't fake a fourth miss.

And Gibson disputed that he took any pleasure in killing the ram.

"What I did in this investigation was to protect wildlife," he said. "If necessary you shoot and kill one animal to protect future animals."

But Morris again questioned whether any specific threats were made to Gibson. He said Gibson was the only hunter and the only one with a gun.

"You were the only one hunting," Morris said. "You could have easily missed; that would have protected that ram and allowed his genes to stay in the gene pool."

Morris also in reviewing the hunting tape questioned whether any footage showed use of the radio. He said Lewton, Trangmoe and Gibson can be seen looking up in Reed's direction several times, with Lewton using hand signals.

Morris noted that the regulations don't bar radios from being brought along if they're not used to pursue game.

On two occasions, the radio can be seen in Lewton's hands on the tape.

Morris called as his lone witness Trangmoe, who made his own tape of the hunt. In playing the tape, Morris asked Trangmoe if radios were ever used. Trangmoe said radios weren't needed for the hunt because they could see Reed almost all the time.

Trangmoe, who is facing charges in Chouteau County in connection with the operation, said they didn't think they were trespassing as long as they stayed on the road while crossing private land. Trangmoe testified the only reason Lewton told Gibson not to mention the radios or private land crossings was to keep FWP from blowing it out of proportion.

"Any time you mention something like that, they try to make a big deal out of it," he said.

Trangmoe also said Gibson had no reason to feel threatened. And he said as the hunter, Gibson had the right to shoot any of the rams, or even to quit and go home.

"If he wasn't going to shoot one, I didn't care," he said. "We sure weren't going to make him kill it."

But Jenks, the prosecutor, on cross examination said the tape showed that Lewton and Trangmoe were telling Gibson which ram to shoot. She said clearly they were leading the hunt and wanted the largest ram killed.

"Wasn't that the same point in the tape when you were telling Justin to go ahead and shoot it in the ass?" she said. "You didn't care whether he shot it, but you were really excited when he shot it."

The trial, before Judge Loren Tucker, continues Wednesday with closing arguments.

Sad deal. No winners. Especially the Montana fish and game. The Ram, and sportsmen who were robbed.

So my undertanding is that a Fish and Game Officer was being guided on a hunt for a ram. The guides were pulling some shady, and apparently illegal stunts to get the ram... Then the Fish and Game Officer harvested the ram with a tag that he apparently had... Then the ram was sold to the guy guiding the Game Officer... And now the guides are being charged for crimes commited while guiding the Officer..? I think I got it straight.

Can you imagine an undercover cop, attempting to build a criminal case against a group or individual, having to commit murder (And then charging the group with accesory to murder) and then not have any repercussions..?

Do not interpret my above comments as sympathetic to the taxidermist/guides. He, and his crew are obviously less than upstanding people, and I believe had they not been "guiding" the Game Officer, it would have been someone else, and they would still be commiting these types of crimes. I hope they get the book LAUNCHED at them by the court.

This just seems like a poorly thought out sting operation on the part of Montana Fish and Game. At what point was the undercover officer supposed to reveal himself and take the individuals into custody? I'm assuming that the plan was NOT to kill the large ram in question, yet it still happened. In fact, now that I think about it, had the ram not been killed, the only charges I can see possibly sticking is a trespassing charge. Is radio use a big deal in and of itself, without a harvested animal..? So maybe in fact the plan DID involve killing the ram? Afterall, isn't one of the charges the illegal purchase of the animal after being harvested..?

I can't wrap my head around this one boys, was this just the worst sting operation ever conceived, or am I missing something...?

Great topic...!!!

I agree with Browning.....this stinks up the place.

Unfortunately, law enforcement's theory that, "the end justifies the means" is REALLY flawed on this one.

NOT GUILTY??? Holy crap. So if killing this ram was an "afterthought" by the undercover agent...then the whole case was originally meant to build upon an unlicensed guide, trespassing, and a couple of hand held radios? THEN after they had a dead sheep on their hands, the agency tried to sell it back to the supposed "guide"??? And they took it to court and got their butts handed to them by an attorney from Whitehall Montana? Whitehall...this guy couldn't have been Johnnie Cochran. Maybe I'm missing something but, this sounds like an episode of Keystone Cops.

It would be great if SOMEONE took the FnG to court over the stupid **** they pull.

They used a $300,000 animal to get a $?,000 fine and it didn't work out for them? The math just doesn't add up. WTF were they thinking? The heads of FnG need to lose their jobs and the FnG somehow needs to come up with $300,000 or so to compensate for their stupidity. We could have used that money to buy out some sheep farmers for wild sheep expansion and the list goes on. I am hoping that heads will roll but we are dealing with the government so I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah and I take a little offense to dissin' the Whitehall attorney just because he is from a small town.I'm an attorney from a small town and Johnnie Cochran ain't got nothin' on me.

(Especially since he is dead.....:))

haha no offense meant. I envy a man that can make a good living in a small town.

I should have known, coming up with a line like "If the ram is legit then you must acquit." That's good stuff. It worked once before! Just a sad deal all around it seems.

Pictures of the ram were floating around on this sight last year when it all happened. (probably on the sheep section).
At any rate, it was a great ram, and it is sad it "Wasn't Legit".

Here you go, it was a huge ram. Shame they pulled a tag out of the public pool of tags to set up this botched sting.
Sounds like the outfitters ass. of MT must have really pushed this one. I suppose the were ticked that this guy takes folks out for free, when they could make big $$ on the huge sheep.
Bad deal all the way around really.

http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?forum=12&threadid=372230&MESSAGES=83&FF=12

http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?forum=12&threadid=380277&MESSAGES=137&FF=12

Will someone in MT please explain what is the deal with the walkie talkie law up there?

I will preface this next comment by saying I believe in following all game laws and if I ever hunt in MT I surely won't use a radio to pursue game. That being said, using a radio to get in on an animal sounds like a pecadillo to me. How serious does the State consider this infraction? Is it like a $50 fine or is it the same thing as going out and shooting an animal at night with a spotlight?

LAST EDITED ON Mar-26-10 AT 05:35PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-26-10 AT 03:39?PM (MST)

gznokes good question, +1

My thoughts as well. I've never used or owned a radio set but i'm seeing ton's of interest in them and i know guys are using them on their hu JC

As requested! I've deleted the wrong pic that i had posted!

Joey

This not the ram of the topic. This ram was indeed taken in MT but by Pat White of Utah on a self guided hunt in 2009. He drew the Missouri Breaks tag. The ram scored ~204 and net 202 BC.

Thanks,

TSX

89fbfb6a10-95a4-11de-a80e-001cc4c03286.image.jpg

This is the ram.

Edit failed so it's another post.

Pat White's ram had
16 1/8 bases
16 1st Qt
15 2nd Qt
14 3rd QT
41 inch curl.

Not bad I'd say.

TSX

The beast of a sheep above and the sheep featured in the MT case look like they both feature the same guy that was taken to court...that was accused of guiding without a license.

The first ram is a legit ram taken by Pat White this year. It was self guided, but John Lewton was with him and is shown in the picture. I would be very wrong to confuse Pat with the undercover officer that was involved in the bate and switch operation, which is the second photo. Someone needs to take Pat's picture off this post...IMHO.

littlebighorn, i deleted the pic as you requested but;

" It was self guided, but John Lewton was with him and is shown in the picture."

self guided??

Joey

You can't use a radio to "Hunt" with. You can have one with you, just don't direct anyone toward an animal to kill it. There is pretty much no chance in H that the FnG is going to catch you unless you are of course framed by the dirty game wardens. I don't use them but I know ranchers are huge violators of it. Just sit off of a ranchers alfalfa field on opening day with your radio on and you can hear them "positioning" each other for the slaughter. It happens but I've never actually heard anyone get caught. I doubt the game wardens have either.

Is someone going to address my question?

"Never-mind", does not answer my question? How can one say the "other hunt" where a huge ram was also taken, with this same "bad guy" obviously there and involved, was a "self guided" hunt?

No cool aid please, thanks!

Joey

I'm not sure what you are asking but here is the regs on radio use.

Two-way Communication
? Two-way communication may not be
used to:
? hunt game animals or upland game
birds, migratory birds or furbearers as
defi ned in MCA 87-2-101 (8) (?Hunt?
means to ?pursue, shoot, wound, kill,
chase, lure, possess or capture.?), or
? avoid game checking stations,
FWP enforcement personnel, or to
facilitate illegal activity.
? The rule does not prohibit the
possession or use of two-way
communication for safety or other
legitimate purposes.

Zigga, Look up at both links on post 16. Two different Huge Rams, two different hunts. One was the sting operation, the other hunt claimed to be a "self guided", righteous hunt. Both hunts had the guy the sting was set up for, posing in the pictures.

Make of it what you will, i just don't know what to think of it...and i the only one?

Sage,

If you can get a hold of the March Huntin'Fool Pat Whites story is in it. He writes a clear picture of what transpired regading his hunt and how John Lewton's involvement came about. A good read.

Thanks,

TSX

I see what you mean sage. The FWP wants to have it both ways. The female prosecuting attorney sounded like she was clueless to hunting in general. It was embarrassing to read, I can't imagine how embarrassing it was to have actually been at the hearing. So if you go hunting and want to kill something with someone then you are guiding??? I think we are all guilty.

I recently read some articles about this from last August and can't wait to hear what Jim Kropp has to say about it now. Having some of these game wardens protecting our game is like having OJ Simpson protect our wives. Fricken hilarious yet scary at the same time. If I had big money I'd hire a law firm to take the Montana FWP down and start over. What a disgrace.

Oh how the tables have turned.

http://www.billingsgazette.com/news...cle_81b0f1da-967b-11de-a009-001cc4c002e0.html

http://www.billingsgazette.com/life...cle_c20b4346-95a6-11de-a80f-001cc4c03286.html

Z, i agree, thanks! I especially thought that your second posted link, with Mr. Henckel, was informing. He summed it up by saying...

"For me, it's not a comfortable position to be in after 40 years in the news business. It's no fun to sit on a news story for months when you know the facts, the rumor mills of the Internet are churning out a goodly amount of venom and misinformation and law enforcement and the courts are happily sitting on both their hands and yours. It does no service to the truth. -- mark"

Seems to me like this was a case of "shooting the neighborhood kid for stealing your newspaper".

Joey

Got this from another Montana forum, nice to see the other side of the story. I kind of figured this might have been how it went in that court room. If its true, I feel for the guy. Can you imagine having the goverment down your throat like this..

The Lewton Trial ? I see it differently

I sat in on all five days of John Lewton's trial and I came away with very different interpretation of the facts than what reporter Nick Gevock described it in the newspaper. So, I will try to give you a different perspective, along with some information you probably never read in the paper. Remember, John Lewton was found Not Guilty on all fifteen counts.

I understand that Mr. Gevock gets inside leads on stories from Fish, Wildlife & Parks (FWP) and also from the Montana Attorney Genera'ls office. So, he would, therefore, likely have some loyalties to them, as evidenced by the way he reported the case. His reporting had a definite pro-state bias. He made Lewton out to be another O.J Simpson ? a guilty guy who just got away with it. But I was sitting in that court room and came away with a totally different impression, as did all twelve members of the jury. I'll explain.

State couldn't prove illegal purchase

First, to make the State's case that it was an unlawfully purchased and possessed game animal, they had to prove that the ram was unlawfully taken by the illegal use of radios while hunting, or hunting without land owner permission, or using motorized vehicles off-road or on private property without permission. The FWP only had to prove one of these charges, yet they failed in every aspect.

FWP covering its tail

What started to become very clear after the trial had progressed a few days was that FWP was desperate to cover up (for legal reasons as well as to avoid negative public opinion) their unnecessary and illegal killing of a record class ram when no crime had been committed by Lewton. The ram was apparently killed to create a situation that might be used to get Lewton to commit a crime. But Lewton didn't take the bait. It sounds preposterous to think of FWP stooping to such a low, but you should have been there. It was the only conclusion I could draw, and obviously the jury felt the same way. What is amazing to me is that the press, so anxious to portray John Lewton as a bad guy during the trial, is glaringly silent on the debaucle that FWP put Lewton and the taxpayers through - for nothing. And they had to have known they had no case going in.

Montana's Attorney General's office, Barbara Harris and Kathleen Jenks came off looking like puppets of FWP. And the lead investigator for FWP, Chad Murphy, considering the facts that came out during the trial, apparently has some ax to grind. It was apparent he would stop at nothing to pin the FWP's unnecessary killing of this ram on Lewton. Killing this ram was an actual crime and it served no purpose. And Lewton didn't kill it, the FWP agaent did and he openly said so in court. So who's the criminal here? It was killed simply to try to set up a situation that could be used to try to entrap someone. Its ironic that an agency charged with protecting wildlife would stoop to this, and they are certainly not going to publicly admit it.

Tampering with evidence

Another revealing moment was when investigator Murphy was exposed in court as having altered a BLM map by instructing the FWP's "expert witness", a map maker, to label a road "Private? that was actually public. This was an attempt to place Lewton where he shouldn't be. WOW! He also then tried to lead the jury to believe it was a private road. Shouldn?t conduct like this, under oath, cost him his job? With an honest press and informed public this would undoubtedly happen, but once again, I'm not holding my breath.

Warden Gibson tries to justify unnecessarily killing ram

Then there was Justin Gibson, aka ?Allen?, the under cover warden from Louisiana who shot the ram. I have never seen anyone entangle themselves and give such conflicting testimony as he did when he tried to somehow show that Lewton and his companions had illegally used radios in locating and stalking the ram. And when confronted with questions about why he went ahead and shot the ram when no crime had yet been committed, agent Gibson had a doosey to tell the jury. He stated he had to shoot the ram because, if he didn't, he felt Lewton would take his scalpel out of his pack and possibly try to kill him and the other undercover warden Chris Ralph, who was there posing as Gibson?s buddy who?d come along for moral support. He proceeded to demonstrate how a knife at close range was more deadly than the high-powered bolt action rifle he was carrying. He claimed he would not be able to work the bolt on the rifle as fast Lewton could swing the knife. The faces in the court room had an expression of "you've got to be kidding?!

Attorney Jack Morris was quick to show that Gibson was both videoing and recording, making a log of the whole trip. Was Lewton going to actually attack an armed man and his companion right there on camera? John Lewton has no history of being a violent man, and at no point in the recording was it ever shown that there was any hint of hostility from Lewton. In fact, just the opposite was apparent - we heard Lewton say "don't worry about the miss?? after Gibson fired and missed the ram?..everyone misses and we will do better next time".

When pressed again about why the ram had to die, Gibson tried another angle. He stated that the rams had been run ragged and were standing there panting, but the video showed the truth to the jury. The ram, along with two others, was standing in the shade after the miss. They stood so motionless (impossible if they'd been panting) that it looked as though the video was on pause.

Warden Gibson can't shoot!

The sad irony here is that the only time the ram was filmed with its mouth open at all was after agent Gibson proceeded to gut shoot the ram twice, then shoot it once in the hoof and once in the horn. Gibson then missed it two more times! All on film! It was pathetic. You?d think that if FWP was going to pull a scam like this they'd send someone who could shoot!

Warden Gibson Fails won't call off sting when its obvious no crime has been committed

Attorney Morris also questioned Gibson on why he went ahead and shot this trophy ram, extremely valuable to the state, when he could have faked a miss or at least shot a smaller ram with less value to the state. He also asked Gibson why he didn't use any of the ?outs? the department had given him in case things had to be called off. ?Outs? are excuses an agent can use to avoid killing an animal after it becomes apparent that the sting has failed or needs to be called off for any reason. His ?outs? were to say that his wife was about the give birth, or that they had walked so hard the first day of the hunt that he had a 3 inch round blister on his foot. Either of these would have been a valid excuse for calling off the hunt.

Authority to kill came from higher up

Morris further pressed warden Gibson by asking: "is it not true, that we would not be here if you hadn't shot this animal, belonging to the people?" And: ?on on whose authority did you shoot this ram? Gibson stated his supervisor at the time Kevin Plegue (not sure of spelling) had given him the authority. Gibson also unwittingly showed how the FWP had deceived the public by taking the 20th coveted sheep permit for the unit and falsely saying that Gibson had drawn it.

Jim Kropp comments on the case after having not been at the rial.

When Jim Kropp, Chief of Law Enforcement for Montana FWP, came in to hear only the closing arguments, he stated to reporter Nick Gevock that this case "wasn't about court room theatrics, accusing our officers of lying and planting evidence" (referring to the obvious but unprovable conclusion that FWP agents had placed radios in places, to be ?found? later, that would imply their illegal usage by Lewton and his crew). This statement, coming from a man who wasn?t even present during the trial, is rediculous in light of the testimony given that so obviously proved to the jury that the case was a scam ? a scam deemed necessary by FWP to cover that fact that they had illegally killed a trophy ram for no reason. In fact, in light of the way things came out, it appears that the only theatrics performed during the trial were performed by Kropp?s his own law enforcement officers, Justin Gibson and Chad Murphy.

Kropp falsely states to press that Lewton is repeat offender

Kropp also accused Lewton in the press of being a repeat offender. At this point I'm convinced that this had to be an attempt by Kropp to cast doubt on Lewton's character in the media, because the facts don't support his claim. I called Mr. Lewton and asked him how long had he lived in Montana and if he ever been accused of violating a game law in the state of Montana. I was told he has been a resident of Montana and operated a taxidermy business for 20 years without any violations whatsoever. He also stated that James Reed and Blake Trangmoe (a friend of Lewton?s along for the hunt), the two other men accused in this case, have never been accused of any game violations in any state. Has the press looked into this?

Double standard gag order

Its ironic that a gag order had been placed on Lewton?s team after his attorney stated to the Whitehall newspaper that "this case should not be tried in the media but in a court of law". In the meantime Kropp was allowed to continue his unsubstantiated comments about Lewton. Its also amazing that the press gave him a pass. A few phone calls would have exposed Kropp?s ruse, but the papers seem to have Lewton already tried and convicted.

Conflict of interest?

A point that cannot be overlooked in this case, and one not brought up in trial, is the fact that the Montana Outfitters Association, who filed the original complaint against Lewton, contributes over 8 million dollars a year to FWP?s coffers. The reasons for their complaint therefore seem dubious in light of the fact that Lewton sometimes takes hunters (lucky enough to have drawn a tag) to some great trophy rams, for FREE! He hasn't charged them a penny! This, I assume, is not only embarssing to an outfitter who can't find the rams, it must also be competition that irritates the heck out of them. So to me, this case against Lewton appears to be an attempt by the Montana Outfitters Association, who appear to be in bed with FWP, to get Lewton out of the way for good.

Everyone loses

The sad thing is that everyone loses in a case like this. John Lewton is obviously out an enormous amount of money in attorney?s fees and lost wages, and has been exposed to tremendous stress and character assassination. He ought to sue the FWP in my opinion. We, the public have lost a wildlife resource, as well as tax dollars used in a scam by a state agency bent on covering up its unscrupulous and illegal activities. We also lost confidence in law enforcement and its leaders.

FWP lost something extremely valuable and extremely difficult to repair ? their credibility. And considering the tremendous amount of revenue that comes into this state from resident and out-of-state hunters, we may never be able to calculate to financial loss to the state from hunters who are now afraid to hunt in a state where the Game Wardens, and the entire FWP behave the way they did in this case. I thought that in this country we are assumed innocent until proven guilty. Someone should send FWP a copy of the constitution.

So Gibson would rather bring a knife to a gun fight.

The stupidity never ceases to amaze me. When you've got nothing to go on then just say something.

What makes me mad is I put in for that area in 08. Those MUTHA**CKERS!

Kropp is a waste of flesh and the whole crew needs to be looking for jobs after paying fines of course.

Wow,
Perhaps you can now understand why I asked to have the picture removed. I wasn't there either, but I know Pat and I believe he would not knowingly get even close to something illegal in order to complete his full-curl. Thanks sage!

It's a sad story any way you look at it.

Thanks for your Post 5575gb... It was very enlightening. I don't know you from Adam, but if what you're telling us all is accurate, I gotta say that it sounds like this could have happened to just about any sportsman out there. Scary..!!

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

5575gb,

Thanks for your post. I hunted sheep in MT, a different unit in 08. A couple friends from MT knows John Lewton. They thought the case was a joke.

It appears from your info and the jury's verdict, the MT fish and game screwed up big time. No winners for sure. This was a very expensive lesson to learn. Some people should loose their jobs in my opinion.

Found this clever post online, the guy has a way with words thats for sure.

"Entrapment in the Missouri Breaks A wildlife photographer by the name of John Lewton Got entrapped in an ?illegal? big game type of shootin'. This Lewton shows sheep hunters big rams for free And the hunt he then films as a business you see. Now, these rams John is findin? are bigger by far Than most outfitters find, though they search near and far. For these ?pros? to be beaten at their own huntin? game Causes lots of red faces and considerable shame. So, these Montana guides made a desperate plea To Fish, Wildlife & Parks, based on pure jealousy. They had to stop Lewton from spendin? his time Showin? big rams to hunters for not one thin dime. So they cooked up a scheme to get Lewton arrested And they brought in an agent in a case soon contested. They gave warden Gibson a very rare tag And he went undercover, a bighorn to bag. He then asked John Lewton if he'd kindly go And show him the place where the big bighorns grow. John kindly obliged and with camera and crew Headed off to the Breaks to see what they could do. In the course of the hunt Gibson?s illegal plans Like radios and aircraft and crossing closed lands Were shunned by John Lewton, the bait he'd not take, So Gibson got desperate, too much was at stake Though wired to capture all illicit conversation Gibson naturally drifted toward exasperation. ?Cause all of the talk from old John and his crew Was all on the level, so now what to do? Well, money was offered but old John wouldn't take it, With no evidence of crime Gibson knew he must fake it. He came up with plan B, on the spot I might add And then waited to try it, that's when things went bad. Now, you see this John Lewton is a true bighorn scholar And before long he'd found one way back in a holler. An enormous old ram like few folks know exist, So Gibson cuts loose, and by golly he missed! He then begs John Lewton to shoot this big ram But that?d be illegal ? the first sign of a scam. Now, Lewton?s a sportsman, fair chase all the way, He refuses the offer, there just ain?t no way. Gibson knew that the case would never hold water So, with the ram in his sights he figured he oughta Just plug the old boy and then offer to sell it To Lewton for cash and perhaps that would nail it. So, with a yank of the trigger he made the lead fly. And two shots out of nine made nice holes in the sky. Through the foot, through the horn and two rounds in the guts, At placing his shots the man was a klutz. But he's a lawman you see, so by rights he can shoot And no doubt he can juggle ?n walk on water to boot. I guess Lewton?s calm finally settled him down, For when the smoke finally cleared he'd cut the ram down With the ram on the ground the offer was made But John said that this sale won't be made in the shade. So when the ram horns were plugged and a sale was legal John purchased the ram head as would I or most people. A plugged head is legal to purchase or sell. This would trip up old Gibson, but he thought ?what the hell?. This sting operation hadn't come off as planned And too much was invested to just quit this scam. So, the State charged ahead and had John locked up tight And concocted a case in the dark of the night. They tampered with witnesses, lied, and changed maps Then denied it in court but their story had gaps. For the funny thing was, that they seemed to forget, John had the whole episode on film as a set. Testimony and video didn't match up And the jury could see that the State had screwed up. So the case fell to pieces when it all went to trial With egg on their faces the State seemed in denial. They?d been caught in bed with a big special interest Which horrified the public, appalled at such incest. If you're like me you're comforted so much to know That your tax money?s now found a good place to go. We need our game wardens out killing wildlife To protect them from cameras and us and the like. Fish, Wildlife & Parks stole a bighorn permit From the hunters who thought that the draw was legit. The State kept their money with no intent to deliver, It was used in a scam and is now gone forever. And as we've come to know and expect now I guess John was tried and convicted and hung by the press. Though cleared and acquitted of every bad act Not one word was printed reporting that fact. The losers in all this are plain folks like us Presumed guilty by agencies who ?protect? us. Old John was acquitted, his name in the clear But his case shows a threat to the things we hold dear. Arrogance, deceit and abuses of power Are too much the case in this country of ours. When the government thinks that they're too big to fail Then the lid?s on the coffin and they drive the first nail."

I wonder if FWP needs any more undercover hunters? I would be glad to go out with someone and shoot a big ram wearing only 399 square inches of orange to entrap a "free guide". Totally ridiculous.

Dax

In case you didn't already notice, there is a good lesson to be learned from this disaster of a story.

Just because a person or persons have been accused, caught, arrested, or are in Court, for wildlife violations...Don't be like i am sometimes and be too quick to "get the rope".

IMO, what was done here, is a slap in the face to all F&G officers, Game Officials in general, and the ONLY positive thing, a lesson for them to learn from. x(

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Apr-06-10 AT 02:29PM (MST)[p]I was guilty of giving way too much credit to the MT FWP when I should have known better from past experiences. Here is an article from a while back but has everything to do with Jim Kropp. Not in a good way again. He thinks the MT FWP and Montana's wildlife are his to rule how ever he chooses. Not cool and Jim needs to be held accountable. One of his idiot wardens trapped a bear assuming it was a black bear and when he released it, he noticed it was a pissed off griz and shot it.

Remind me again what the fine is for shooting a grizzly whether it was misidentified or not? I think it's a big one. Not to mention loss of hunting priveleges and losing a few items in the process. Not speaking from experience but I've heard. What a retard. It's a shame this happened before the internet was as popular or there would have been another $h!tstorm. Make a list of excuses after you read the article. One of my favorites is where it says that "The Ennis area is well outside of prime grizzly bear habitat." Did they move Ennis? There's griz in every direction and always has been. Jim Kropp is a bald faced liar especially where he said that Glines has done an outstanding job in the community. People from Ennis have never like him and he knows it. The whole article is a joke.

Report: Warden didn't look before he shot
StoryShare This
ShareSend this page to your friendsPrintCreate a hardcopy of this pageFont Size:Default font sizeLarger font sizePosted: Saturday, September 21, 1996 11:00 pm

By JOAN HAINES

An Ennis game warden didn't know he had a grizzly bear in a trap before releasing and shooting it last month because he'd never looked, assuming the animal was a black bear, according to an investigation.

Marc Glines had received several complaints about a black bear that been eating garbage from a dumpster at the Diamond J. Guest Ranch east of Ennis. He set out a culvert trap Aug. 22, and released the animal in the Gravelly Mountains southwest of Ennis Aug. 23.

The bear charged after Glines opened the trap door, and Glines shot it twice with a .40 caliber pistol when the animal was only four or five feet away. That's when Glines realized the bear was the more aggressive grizzly, a threatened species, protected by federal and state laws.

"He (Glines) really didn't look at the bear," said Warden Capt. Jim Kropp of the state Fish, Wildlife and Parks Department, who investigated the shooting. "He made an assumption. It turned out to be a bad one.

"It wasn't that he couldn't tell the difference between a grizzly and a black bear," Kropp said. The bear was inside a dark culvert trap enclosed with a criss crossed grate.

Glines broke no laws or policies, Kropp said. The incident was handled internally, within FWP, and Kropp said it was a personnel matter which he would not discuss.

"There were no policy violations," Kropp said. "It was a wrong assumption on his part that was extremely costly in this situation."

Glines could not be reached for comment Saturday.

On Aug. 24, the day after the shooting, wildlife officials returned to the area and found the 250 pound, 10 year old female grizzly dead about 150 yards from where Glines had released it. The bear had been captured and ear tagged in Wyoming in 1993 and relocated to Yellowstone National Park.

Glines, 38, has been a FWP game warden in Ennis since 1989. FWP officials received numerous calls from people expressing support for Glines, Kropp said. "Marc has done an outstanding job in the Ennis community," he added.

The Ennis area is well outside of prime grizzly bear habitat. That's probably why those who saw the bear at the Diamond J. and Glines took for granted the animal was a black bear.

Many grizzlies in the Yellowstone ecosystem live in Yellowstone National Park. Outside the park, they are seen most commonly in the Taylor's Fork area of the Gallatin National Forest, in the Lee Metcalf and Absaroka Beartooth wilderness areas and in the Shoshone National Forest.

The game warden would not have released the animal in the Gravelly Mountains if he had known it was a grizzly, Kropp said. The Gravellys are not prime grizzly habitat and are near settled areas.

The local FWP office has changed some guidelines to make sure such an incident does not happen again.

All trapped bears will be immobilized and tagged. That has been the policy for several years. But during the 30 days prior to black bear hunting season which started Sept. 14 this year the policy was ambiguous, said Steve Lewis, FWP regional supervisor.

State law says hunters must utilize harvested bears for food, and if they had been drugged within 30 days, the meat would not be fit for consumption. Now FWP will waive the consumption guideline if the bear has been drugged.

All bear traps will be released with an electronic switch inside trucks, so wildlife officials don't have to leave the vehicle to release a bear.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom