Montana Deer Season

N

NonTypical23

I go to school in Montana- and everything fell through for us back home this year and i was getting the itch. Is there any kind of general season in Montana for just buying the tag OTC this next week before the season. I can't figure out the regs for the life of me...a short answer would be great-

Are you a Resident or a Non-resident? I am not possitive but a Resident might be able to do so, but I don't think as a NR you can. Hopefully someone else can and will help answer your question for you. What part of MT are you going to school?

Brian

Sorry ya I am a nonresident- and it looked like you can't buy general tag you have to apply for it in June???? I go to MSU in Bozeman- last year I hunted ducks all year but got to go back to Idaho for a week to hunt deer and elk in the Frank- but this everything fell through- and with the season starting I was just wondering if I had one last chance...

Somebody should know the answer....It's late Friday and obv the game and fish is not open to call and I wanted to know before morning- hopefully everyone is not out scouting or hunting...

There's lots of over the counter doe whitetail tags and doe antelope tags still available. I think you are allowed 5 doe tags around Whitehall, that's only a few miles west of you. Go to a sporting good store and ask, it's their business to know!

Ya I think I have finally figured out the system- seems as though if you want a general season A tag for deer (bucks) you ahve to apply in the spring- (haha I guess I figured every state was like Idaho and you could buy a tag and hunt). I am not interested in shooting a small buck or doe- just would be out looking for a monster if I was going to put all the effort in. Thanks for the help though- I guess I might drive a couple hours south and hunt Idaho next weekend- or just stick to my ducks....

how far is idaho? buy an out of state tag. non resident is close to 3 bills.

If all you want to do is find a monster, why not start now, without a tag, get to know an area and then when you draw you will be ready to hunt. I dont know what your definition of Monster is, but usually you need to put in some time to learn an area before you get your "monster." it is true that some guys just step out and drop one, I know of a couple guys that have done that, but that is unusual and in the end, not quite as rewarding (at least to me) as puting in the time and making a plan.

So, why dont you head to the field NOW, and start scouting for next year, or the year after, it cant heart, its good exsersise, it's smart, it gets you outside, you dont have to break your back and you might just position yourslef to shoot that monster next year. . .

Thanks for the advice guys- when I said I wanted to shoot a monster I wasn't really implying that I would just step out and shoot a monster without putting the time in- mostly that I just wanted to get out in the mountains and see some deer- but not shoot a deer unless he was a big one- so I don't have to go through the trouble afterwords with my living situation (no garage, etc). If I end up hunting deer this year I'll probably just slip over the border and hunt an area I've always been interested in- or just hunt deer over Thanksgiving with my bow back home- I know next year to put in for a general tag for Montana...
I was not aware there was no such thing as an over the counter tag for a buck in Montana.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom