Montana Goat Unit 329

M

MTHeat

I was lucky enough to draw a goat tag in Montana district 329 north of Yellowstone. This will be my first goat hunt and I am going to try and do it with my bow. I was wondering if any of you out there have any experiece in that area? I am going to make a backpacking trip down there latter this month to have a look around. Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Travis

I've hiked to Wallace mountain and have seen lots of goats there. That's out of your district, but I'm sure it's representative of that country. My advise is to look around the headwaters of the Boulder River. It's a long walk to the other areas of the district. Another bit of advice is to go early because that country can get snow in September. If you can get to a high point and see the goats above the trees maybe you can pattern their movements and ambush one away from a
cliff. I sure you'll see goats, but killing one is going to be a task.
I hope you got a buddy to scout and hunt with because it's rugged country and grizzlies are active that time of year.
Yeah, and if you can get a camp in the elk district 316 maybe you can kill an elk too. That season starts September 15.

I am planning on going in a couple of days before the season opens to line up a goat or two for the opener. I am using the early elk season as an incentive to get some friends to come along. Thanks for the help.

Travis

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom