Montana Hunt 2006

Crunchy

Well I am looking into a Montana Hunt for later this year. I have two sections of land that I can hunt owned by a good friend. I know little of either and am looking for some input since I will have to drive from Western Washington to hunt.

The first section is about 20,000 acres near the town of Absarokee on the way to Roscoe.

The second is 30,000 acres about an hours drive from Miles city. Near a small town called Powderville.

I am looking to do a deer/elk hunt and will gladly take advice from hunters more familiar with these areas.

Good luck drawing a NR elk tag near Powderville. If you want a guaranteed tag you need to go either Outfitter or Land owner sponsored.

If you go land owner sponsored you can only hunt on the deeded land of the land owner, no public lands.

Nemont

I assume that since my friend is the landowner, then I can get a landowner tag. I'm not that familiar with the Montana regs. No not Ted Turner (I wish) and lucky for me. Just someone I work with (family land). I'm stuck here in Washington hunting public land and could use a break. Maybe even get lucky.

Your best bet on deer would be the land-owner sponsor tag on the eastern MT ranch out of Miles City. If it has elk, good luck in drawing a tag. Call MT Game Fish and Parks to get filled correctly. Do it now. And get your rancher pal up to speed on what he/she needs to do to get you the proper applications well before they are due. Good luck.

Dean Parisian
Chippewa Partners

Call MFW&P and talk with Marsha at 1-406-444-1666 She is the one who answers and handles all of the Land Owner Sponsor applications and sends the forms to the Land Owner for this tags.

Brian

Thanks for the input. I was hoping on getting some positive information about the ranch outside of Absarokee in western Montana to save about 8 hours of driving to eastern part of the state. I've had this land availiable for the last two years but because we have to small children at home I could get the kitchen pass. Now it is looking more realistic.

Thanks

If it were me I would apply for the standard elk / deer non-resident combo, from what I've heard from MFW&P you have about a 50 - 60% chance of drawing the license. The area around Absarokee should produce some elk depending on terrain and weather, should be plenty of deer, success will depend on what you are looking for ie: legal or BIG BUCK, and how much hunting pressure the ranch has been getting

My pick would be Absarokee. Better chance at elk and deer combinded just due to the fact that you don't need special tags...

Gook luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom