Montana NR app process

out4elk

Maybe some of you know the process a little better. From reading the regs I have found the following:

1. I have to apply for a Combination tag before I can apply for a limited entry elk unit.

2. Deadline for the limited entry unit I want to put in for is 2 June

What I don't know or been able to find so far is what combination tag do I put in for and what is the deadline.

If any of you are willing to help it would be appreciated

?Life is like a ten speed bike. Most of us have gears we never use!?

The combination tag is either a deer combo, elk combo or big game combo.

The combo just means that you get to fish and hunt upland game birds as well as hunt deer, elk or both deer and elk with the big game combo.

You could apply for the elk combo or the big game combo and still apply for you LE unit if you are successful. Draw odds should be better for you for the big game combo.
The dead line is March 16th this year.

See this link....

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/licenses/availableLicenses.html

nnl.gif

GO HEELS!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-02-09 AT 05:42PM (MST)[p]OK correct me please if I am not quite tracking.

I have to put in for a big game combination through a draw and have my application in by March 17th. If drawn this gives me the opportunity to hunt general areas and seasons AND put in for special hunts.

Best I can tell unit 417-20 is a special hunt and the application period ends on 2 Jun. I can't put in for this hunt unless I draw a combination tag right?

Thanks for the help

?Life is like a ten speed bike. Most of us have gears we never use!?

That is the way it is done in Montana. When the elk draws started it was mostly for Montanans and the draw was limited to the Missouri Breaks and several other areas. I never brother to apply as most of the elk were in the western part of the state and it was OTC. Since 1974 the elk have gone from 35,000 to 150,000 plus and have moved into the eastern part of the state, which is generally a drawn hunt.

If you draw a elk tag there is all the elk hunting you would want in Southwestern Montana. I don't see this as a big deal. If one could draw directly then Montana would have to increase the alloted number of non-resident licenses which is capped at 17,000. We old time residents don't want this to happen.

>LAST EDITED ON Mar-02-09
>AT 05:42?PM (MST)

>
>OK correct me please if I
>am not quite tracking.
>
>I have to put in for
>a big game combination through
>a draw and have my
>application in by March 17th.
> If drawn this gives
>me the opportunity to hunt
>general areas and seasons AND
>put in for special hunts.
>
>
>Best I can tell unit 417-20
>is a special hunt and
>the application period ends on
>2 Jun. I can't
>put in for this hunt
>unless I draw a combination
>tag right?
>
>Thanks for the help
>
> ?Life is like a ten
>speed bike. Most of us
>have gears we never use!?
>
>

Sounds like you got it figured out ;-)

nnl.gif

GO HEELS!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom