MONTANA PRONGHORN HUNTS

cabuck

Looking to apply for pronghorn in Mt. Have 1 bns. pt. now. Would like to hunt unguided if possible or will hunt guided if need be. Looking for top end pronghorn only. Have taken numerous B&C animals already. Anyone know of a great ranch or particular unit where to apply? Not looking for anyones hunting spot, just general unit if possible. Have already done some homework and have come up with these units so far. 651, 630, 650. Just do not know of any ranches that have guided or unguided hunts with the quality that I am looking for.

Thanks Cabuck

LAST EDITED ON Apr-19-05 AT 09:30AM (MST)[p]Not many B&C speed goats come out of those units. You would be hard pressed to find any decent speed goats in 630. If you want a lot of access and a chance at a decent buck I would look at 670 (north Valley,Phillips, Daniels Counties, Roosevelt and Sheridan counties; That is an area of land equal to the state of Mass.) or as you mentioned 650. There is a TON of public land in both and ranchers usually will let you on to shoot a speed goat. I don't think there is a 651 district for antelope, just deer. The boundaries are not the same for deer/elk and antelope so be careful when you apply.

Nemont

Thanks for the input. Have a friend who has hunted unit 620 and did well. May try that unit, just looking for any info on ranches that manage there antelope quality. Thanks
Cabuck

You may want to check the districts you are planning to hunt. You will not find many if any ranches in Eastern Montana that manage for quality Antelope bucks. They are considered close to being vermin by most ranchers. If you are looking for a b&c quality buck then Montana is not where you should be looking. Go look at the record book. Not many from Montana. If I were you look into a guide or outfitter rather then a DIY hunt.

Nemont

NeMont,

do you think the lopes in 650 have recovered from the 2003-2004 winterkill? i know the muleys have not...

just curious.

Berto,

No I don't think they have recovered completely what I was saying that there is a lot of public land and are a few decent bucks around.

Nemont

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom