montana sheep super tag!

adirondack

I'm not sure if it is for real but I got a call from a man tonight and he told me I was the one to draw the supertag. It is not posted yet but he sounded offical. I may need alot of help!

Contact Justin Gibson from the Montana FWP. He knows where to shoot the big ones in the breaks. Just make sure you pay him in cash.

A Montana sheep tag and 241L deer tag in NV in the same year, you are very lucky! Who are you hunting with in NV?

ram 187

you have a good memory or know how to use a computer way better than I. Yes I drew a 241-LATE tag with Wes Emery. When I drew that I thought I was in for a hunting season to remember, now I am sure of it.

Congratulations! I'd wish you luck, but you've already accomplished the luck part. Now go work hard, and kill a monster.

Congratulations! You have the best Bighorn tag in the world (IMHO). I'm assuming you'll hunt the "Breaks"???
I've got a friend who drew the super tag a couple years ago and another that out-right drew a tag recently. Both harvested SUPER rams (like 190+ and 200+).
Are you hiring an outfitter or DIY?
The only thing I know about the area is that I killed a Pronghorn with my bow on the north side.
Good luck and enjoy the journey!
Zeke

WOW! Is all I can say! Luck shines down on you brother! I have been on three hunts in 680 the last two years so any help I can lend just let me know. Its a really special area with lots of history around it so soak it all in.

inthehunt

how many rams a day might be seen? Which week in Nov. is the peak of the rut? Is it only a week long or dose it drag on for a bit?

RE: inthehunt

It really varied. One day we would see a hundred ewes and a few rams. The next day we would see 35-50 rams no problem. Wind and rain put them down deep into the coulee's and the sun would bring them out right on the flats where you could glass sheep at 3 miles or so. The biggest problem we ended up facing was picking out the right sheep, judging it correctly and not getting caught up in all the B.S that the breaks has surrounding it right now. Sure, everybody wants to kill the next 200 in sheep and they are their but passing a 190 in sheep is... The key to the whole hunt is to get to know the few landowners up there, they are nice people. They want to help but if they smell a chance to make a buck they will. There is LOTS of public land but they hold some key pieces to get into the public often. Rut drags out in Nov, crazy! Its just awesome, lots of sheep, big sheep. Dont stress, it will be freaking blast! Last year we passed 4 190 in (no BS) that were broomed, and then killed a 188 in perfectly symetrical sheep that tripped his trigger! Send me a message and I can expand.

Congratulations on winning what is arguably one of the top 3-5 best tags in North America. Its a dream come true.

Put away your bow, you just drew one of, if not the best trophy tags in the world.

Archer season is a week, rifle season is eleven.

Grab your rifle, call as many locals as you can, take as much time off as possible (or just quit your job), and enjoy the opportunity 99% of hunters would trade their wife in for.

>Put away your bow, you just
>drew one of, if not
>the best trophy tags in
>the world.
>
>Archer season is a week, rifle
>season is eleven.
>
>Grab your rifle, call as many
>locals as you can, take
>as much time off as
>possible (or just quit your
>job), and enjoy the opportunity
>99% of hunters would trade
>their wife in for.

My wife is hard working, good looking, a great cook, wonderful mother, fabulous wife..........CAN I HAVE YOUR SHEEP TAG? LOL

Well.....I'd better keep her after all! She has sheep hunted with me, shot huge elk, deer, pronghorn and is about to draw a mtn goat tag. Ya, I'd better keep her!
Zeke

RE: supertag

680 has been the spot to be lately, but if I went over there I'd definitely check out the other areas as well. All of them have the potential for a 200 incher.

All but a few units will have Boone and Crockett rams in them, so don't overlook the mountain units as well.

These two links might help you out a bit for starting to figure out where you want to research more:

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/planahunt...me=booneAndCrockett&speciesName=Bighorn Sheep

montana-county-seat-map.jpg

>Put away your bow, you just
>drew one of, if not
>the best trophy tags in
>the world.
>
>Archer season is a week, rifle
>season is eleven.

Randy, archery is 11 weeks + 10 days.

Very true, if you're into archery bring your bow. Just remember that you need to wear orange regardless of weapon.

The typos and 1:30 am timestamp might hint that I was pulling a Moe.

Sheep in the rut are probably the easiest of all big animals to approach with a bow. If you want to bow hunt them it would be almost as easy as it is with a rifle. Don't listen to the rifle mentality crowd, just go do it with you bow.

>how doable would a big ram
>be with a bow?

Get in touch with Danny Moore, who goes by 'BigDan' over on Bowsite. He owns an arhcery pro-shop in Kalispell, and he killed a mid-180s ram a year ago in 680. He can give you a realistic idea of the challenge of shooting a ram with your bow. He's a good guy.

RE:Super Tag

I know Big Dan and last year he had open heat surgery and was just recovering nicely at the time of his sheep hunt. He wont tell you this, but he was still somewhat limited with what he could do. Although Dan killed a heck of nice ram with his bow, had he been up to full speed I am sure he would have taken one of those 200 ihch rams or one very close to that.

Here's a photo of a ram I took on one of Utah's units during the hunting season. I was less than 10 yards from both of these rams.

s12.jpg

s10.jpg

s3.jpg

Utah does not have the huge rams like Montana has, but getting close to those rams will be just as easy as getting close to Utah's rams, and its pretty easy really.

Beleive me you can do it with a bow!

Have a great hunt BB

You should be able to shoot a huge ram any time, if you are willing to hike up and down some cliffs. They are easier in th erut, but I've nevre had truoble finding them any time. I have a ton of video and pictures of rams from last year in 680. If you want I can try and post some or send them to you. I guess just semd me a personal email and we'll go from there.

If anything, I will be hanging out around those parts and this fall and can help out when possible.

awsome pic what would the biggest sheep score? just trying to get an idea of what they look like. What time of year was the pic?

I shot a sheep down there a few years ago that netted 188 4/8", I assume the largest sheep in this herd is around 190", we really wanted to shoot him, but elected to pass.

I beleive this picture was taken around the end of September, first of October. We found big rams every weekend we were out though and we started labor day weekend.

I would give anything to have your tag. The problem a guy runs into in this area is that after seeing so many big rams, you really want to put your hands on one, and then shoot a smaller one (180ish).

Is there any spots I should start or is it all good? I just got off the phone with a guy that will lease me aranch house with 30,000 ac of private. He said the blm behind it is fairly hard to acess from public. He said it was about in the middle of 680 on the river.

I guess to begin with, if you're just leasing the a ranch house to stay in, that is great, but personally I would not pay to lease a place to hunt. There is so much public land and most landowners are good about access. The house is a good idea because the closest hotel, once the Ferry closes, is roughly 76 miles.

As far as access, yes, it would be alot easier to drive through his land, but if you have a four wheeler you can drive right up to it, through thousands upon thousands of acres of BLM land. I assume I know who the landowner is. Another option is a boat on the river, when the rams rut, they head to the river.

As far as wher to start, it depends on when you want to get started. I'll send you a personal email later today.

I got your e-mail and am very interested in getting some help. Awsome ram. I will e-mail you this weekend. The boat thing sounds good as With my tag I could hunt either side. I live right on the Canadain border in northern NY

As you get your plans set in stone, keep in touch. I'll be glad to take you down the river in my boat a few times. I probably can't do 10 days at a time, but can go a few weekend days for sure.

That sounds great! I have talked with alot of people in the last week and it sounds like that would be a good way to hunt with the super tag as we could go anywhere.

The boat is a good way of going but just like any other hunt just be prepared to go at it in a few different ways. We used a boat a few times the last couple years and was a good option. Give me a pm when you get a chance. I know the landowners up there fairly well and I know the one who wants to lease you the ranch house. I can give you some details about it as we stayed there last year for 12 days. I just want to make sure he isn't trying to fleece you because your from out of state. He's a good guy but he has started seeing dollar signs and thinks he's a "guide" or "outfitter" since this sheep thing has gotten out of control up there. FYI we did see a few EXCEPTIONAL rams on the south side also.

Thanks for the help. I am going to try to do the hunt without a outfitter. There seems to be a few people like yourself that are willing to help me. I am just an average guy with 4 little kids that bought some raffle tickets and got lucky. The only time frames I think I can get out there will be either mid Oct. for about 10 days or the last 2 weeks of the season. Do you think one is better than the other? The fellow I talked to about the ranch house was an outfitter. I beleive the owners name was something like Gasvoda? I was thinking boat since I could hunt both sides of the river. $2000.00 for ten days at the ranch house. Where would one stay if you didn't lease a ranch house? Thank you for taking time to help me,Rob Dean.

I'm back in town so I'll try and email you later, but until then, ther are several places you can stay, but it kind of depends on where you hunt. You can saty in a campground at Judith Landing, Mclelland Ferry, or in Bullwhacker (BLM land). The problem is it can be up to seventy miles to switch areas, which as a crow flies may only be aboiut 5-7 miles,it's big country. Are you planning on tent camping or staying in a motel. Before November you could stay in Winifred and have about a 15 mile drive to sheep country, however, when the ferry closes Nov. 1 it is a very long drive, depending on where you want to hunt, 50-70 miles. Big Sandy and Chinook are both about 76 miles away as well. We just pulled a trailer and stayed on a friends place, or BLM land.

Congrats,Believe me I know how you feel so much to do so little time.I had purchased tickets for that tag also.I was notified yesterday that my ticket was drawn in the Colorado DU for a statewide moose so I have a month to get ready and everything planned.Have a great hunt

THANKS FOR THE HELP

I would like to thank everyone who participated in this post. It helped me greatly to get to know what I needed to from all the way across the country! I received many personal calls and e-mails, you guys know who you are. So once again "THANK YOU"

Rob

green
200 6/8 inches

RE: THANKS FOR THE HELP

Pics?
Did you start another post with the story and sweet photos?

Congratulations

Zeke

+1 for pics.
And with numbers like that floating around, we are never going to draw that tag Zeke!

True Littlebighorn,

We will never draw that tag but we'll play the game anyway! I'm hoping everyone else just has to hunt that unit for a 200" ram. That way it will make it easier for me to draw in a crappy unit! LOL

It makes us feel better every year that we have a couple. Right?

Zeke

PS, I think our request for pics is being ignored!

You are one lucky man.

I would give my left nut for that tag. No exaggeration.

Easy there TAGALONG!
Them family jewels are precious and you will some day want a tagalong of your own!

Impulsive kids now-days
You sound like Zeke when he was your age---100years ago.LOL

LittleBighorn,

Don't worry I thought it through, if I give my left nut I will still have my right to reproduce.

Wow!

Looks like LittleBighorn is taking shots at you Zeke! haha

101 years ago now. I just had a birthday on the 24th of Sept.

Keep your nuts Tag! There are few things more important than hunting and the Family is one of them!

I can give both of mine for that tag now! LOL

Zeke

Guys, dont know if it is true but little birdie called me last night. Sounds like Rob has taken a toad. 200 plus or minus!!!! Anyone know anything?????

I hear you guys, my wife is out of town and she normally helps me post pics. I am leaveing for NEV. & CO. on Sun. I will try to get them up by then.

nevada hunt was great, very warm 75 to 80. Not much action except for first hour and a half in the mornings. Passed several 185 plus deer early and finally shot a 185"-190" gross 3x4 with a small dropper on the next to last day.

Waiting for my 60 days. Green 16 7/8. Many also end up being the widest tip to tip ram ever entered into B&C. Just alot of if's. I dont know how much shrinkage to expect and where. Our measurements where very accurate so hopefully I dont get much shrinkage.

I'm soo tired of opening up this post for Absolutely Nothing!!! Adirondak, May the drawing gods frown upon you from now on!

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.

Thomas Jefferson

LAST EDITED ON Dec-02-10 AT 06:24PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-02-10 AT 06:22?PM (MST)

>Thanks for the help. I am
>going to try to do
>the hunt without a outfitter.
>There seems to be a
>few people like yourself that
>are willing to help me.
>I am just an average
>guy with 4 little kids
>that bought some raffle tickets
>and got lucky. The only
>time frames I think I
>can get out there will
>be either mid Oct. for
>about 10 days or the
>last 2 weeks of the
>season. Do you think one
>is better than the other?
>The fellow I talked to
>about the ranch house was
>an outfitter. I beleive the
>owners name was something like
>Gasvoda? I was thinking boat
>since I could hunt both
>sides of the river. $2000.00
>for ten days at the
>ranch house. Where would one
>stay if you didn't lease
>a ranch house? Thank you
>for taking time to help
>me,Rob Dean.

For your comment above about an average guy you sure do more hunting than the average guy! Co. and Nv. and Mt I would say that is more than average. Not being a wise guy just an observation.

Thanks

3QtrSlamRam

YAKATAK

Nice post.
I don't remember asking you to open this post? I just looked back and I can't find where you offered your expertise. I also am not very good on a computer but I can get mine to skip by any post that I'm not interested in reading.

I will post pics as soon as I can I am working on a magazine article of how an average guy can get lucky drawing tags. I do appreciate all the help but could really do without the crap.

I was silently cheering for you the Whole time since you started this post. It's pretty obvious ?Which? unit to hunt in MT with a tag of that magnitude. Not having much experience with Easterners to base an opinion on but, GENERALLY, when you tell us Westerners that you are going to do something, YOU DO IT!!!
Yak
For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.

Thomas Jefferson

Really? It's just a picture. Definitly a big congrats on a monster sheep and all of us who kept up with the thread would love to see your success but why did you even bother starting a thread if you are not willing to post pictures? Especially when you say it may be the widest tip to tip ram ever entered into B&C.

Once again, Congratulations on a sheep of many lifetimes!!

I would love to show everybody the pictures that I have and I will as soon as possible. I took my wife and 4 children age 1 to 8 to wy antalope hunting and then up to MT to scout around a few units. I found this sheep and just decided this was the one I was looking for. No flying, no prescouting, no tip on a location just headed out looking for sheep. I received alot of info from this site. But the most help I received this year came from the "The huntin fool staff". I pulled 241 late deer in NV. a pair of WY unit 90 antalope tags , a CO. unit 53 3rd season deer tag plus the super tag in MT. After a great year I feel I owe them a story for their mag. They would like me to hold my pics until they can get their magazine out. I do not think this is unreasonable.Some of you obviously have a different opinon. The people on this site that did help me are not the ones hammering for pics. Please be patient and I will post them here soon. Thanks again Rob

No. I would have loved to hunt all over and spend alot of time but just could not pass on this ram, he was just what I was looking for. I did get him officially scored and he is 201 2/8" net. Rob

>I found
>this sheep and just decided
>this was the one I
>was looking for. No flying,
>no prescouting, no tip on
>a location just headed out
>looking for sheep. I
>received alot of info from
>this site. But the most
>help I received this year
>came from the "The huntin
>fool staff".

Surprised you just stumbled upon this sheep, good for you. Did the best info really come from HF? I heard this sheep was observed in this same area before the opener. Looking forward to reading the article.

Adironadak- I hope you will show the pathetic, lowlife, drawless scum here on MM a picture of your ram? congradulations.

mtmiller,
You must have had better info than I. I shot him on public ground on Oct. 1. The season opened on Sept. 15 I guess the guys that knew he was there must have not want him? All I can tell you is I didn't know he was there. No planes, no boats and noone camped out on him. In fact my 5 year old was hiking with us when we located him. To me that was one of the best parts.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom