moon phase for archery elk

Trad Bow 1979

Who here works with the moon phases for archery elk? This year we will have a full moon during the 2nd archery hunt, does anyone see that as an issue?

I've hunted with a full moon several times the past four years, seems to get them bugling a lot. We've done real good with the moon so despite the negative talk It has not impacted me NEGATIVELY.

I'm not sure the moon changes anything. My horses can see and act the same regardless of moon or lack thereof.

>I'm not sure the moon changes
>anything. My horses can see
>and act the same regardless
>of moon or lack thereof.
>

+1 If elk, deer etc.. couldn't see with no moon, we wouldn't have ever known they existed.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

IMO, it depends if the rut is in full swing. I have hunted elk several times during a full moon. Its not that they cannot see at night without it, but with it they have enough light to be active. They tend to be in bedding areas when the sun comes up if there is a full moon. They can be found, but tend to be more spooked when this happens. However, if the rut is in full swing, they usually tend to be active 24-7. I have seen times where they do stop talking during the day though. Like I said, this is from my own personal experience.

The moon definitely changes things when trying to archery hunt. I strongly advise every one to avoid putting in for any of the 2nd season archery hunts, especially the Gila hunts! The full moon is a curse and makes all elk nocturnal.In fact it makes elk more visible to U.F.O's so they hide allot better. J/K

My experience with the full moon is it triggers the rut a bit more however cooler temperatures also does this. The only difference is the elk tend to bed earlier in the morning and come out to feed earlier in the evening.

I think its over-analyzed!!! Get out there and hunt when you want to!! I used to try and correlate the moon phases with rut, activity, etc.....but I don't think it makes a difference. The females dictate the rut, not the moon, weather, snow, wind or ninja turtle power!!! If it does have an effect, I really believe its minimal!

I agree. Doesn't really make a difference. I have had some of the best hunting when it is pushing 95 degrees during a full moon phase.

Odds are you won't draw a tag so it doesn't matter anyway.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-25-16 AT 04:24AM (MST)[p]
>Odds are you won't draw a
>tag so it doesn't matter
>anyway.

Ha, people told me the same thing when I said I was applying for Ibex in NM. Let me know if you want to see a picture of the mount bud.

>LAST EDITED ON Mar-25-16
>AT 04:24?AM (MST)

>
>
>>Odds are you won't draw a
>>tag so it doesn't matter
>>anyway.
>
>
>Ha, people told me the same
>thing when I said I
>was applying for Ibex in
>NM. Let me know if
>you want to see a
>picture of the mount bud.
>

Dude I want to see that mount haha

>>Didn't we already beat this horse
>>to death?
>>
>>
>>http://www.monstermuleys.info/cgi-b...thread&om=15887&forum=DCForumID12&archive=yes
>
>
>Yep, I like to bring it
>up to hear other opinions
>from other people. Honestly, we
>all have things that we
>try to learn about from
>others beyond a thread on
>MM a year or two
>ago. So yea I brought
>it back up again to
>hear from others. Don't worry
>about it chief, no need
>for hallway monitors.

Lol....

Nice billy man, rifle or archery ?

>>>LAST EDITED ON Mar-25-16
>>>AT 04:24?AM (MST)

>>>
>>>
>>>>Odds are you won't draw a
>>>>tag so it doesn't matter
>>>>anyway.
>>>
>>>
>>>Ha, people told me the same
>>>thing when I said I
>>>was applying for Ibex in
>>>NM. Let me know if
>>>you want to see a
>>>picture of the mount bud.
>>>
>>
>>
>>Dude I want to see that
>>mount haha
>
>
>
>
>Here you go BUGLE
>
>http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos3/2580image.jpeg

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom