Moose Experts WY Unit 27?

• Thread starter Mule_Deer_Crazy
  • Start date
M

Mule_Deer_Crazy

Anyone really know moose habitat and seasonal distribution in Unit 27? I spent a week down there and have some very specific questions about specific areas that I'd like to bounce off somebody that really knows what the moose do down there.

Thanks.

Just a suggestion-have you tried calling the area biologist? In my area in Idaho, I found the bio to be of great help!

Yes, chatted with the local guy and keep getting the same response. He said he sends everybody to the Gilbert Creek area because it's public land and they won't get screwed up hunting it. He didn't seem to know specifics about what they do when other than I keep getting come back when there's snow, it's much better!?

Just trying to find someone who's real familiar with the area and knew what the moose actually did.

Thanks.

You really need the weather to drive the moose into your area from Utah. Hunt the last week of the season and hope for bad weather and the runt as I stated before. The local state people are of no real help as I found out and you as well. The main problem you have is the amount of private land in this unit. Did you every contact the name of resident hunter that I supplied you with? Also learn to grunt. It really works. I did not see any bulls for 5-6 days until the snow was on the ground and weather was bad. Then like magic, bulls. Just have patience, young man. If you need anything, just let me know. The best of luck,

Fritz

Patience is the one thing I've got and moose hunting has taught me most of it! Most specifically, am I going to find the moose in the timber on the forest service ground, in the willow bottoms along the creeks, or out on the big sage slopes with scattered pockets of timber and aspens (when I go back for the last week of the season)? That would be the biggest help.

Thanks.

The moose in 27 usually don't get active untill the last 2 weeks of rifle season, they are starting to rut pretty good right now, talk to as many ranchers as you can, when the bulls get to chasing cows they tear the hell out of everything so if a rancher gets a bull rutting on his place, chances are he will call you if you've contacted him. The best bulls usually hang up in the timber, there are alot of springs and ponds on thunderbolt mountain that you might catch a good bull in, you can usually call them right in while they are rutting unless they see you, right at the stateline on the westfork smithsfork is a good spot to catch a bull right at daylight or toward the end of the season, there is a strip of private land right before the stateline fence, but there is a mile of riverbottom you can hunt. There is a walkin area below the intake, later in the season alot of moose move down onto the ridge and you can normally glass them from the meeks cabin dam road. If you head out to aspen tunnels in the knight ridge hunter management unit, there are quite a few moose that direction, but I've never seen a real trophy out there. If your just after a cow moose, I'd just drive up gilbert creek through utah and back down the westfork and you should get a shot at one. Moose around here tend to run on the same clock as the deer, they move around right after daylight and right before dark, toward the end of the season you can catch them out at anytime of the day. Also toward the end of the season alot of moose move down in the quakie patches and sage flats between willow creek and horse creek. Hope this helps you out.

I really liked the sage stuff between West Fork and Horse Creek, let's a guy see and move around a little more than hunting the thick timber. Hopefully we can find some moose out there when we go back. If not I guess it's back to the timber?

Thanks for the feedback.

Willow bottoms, big sage, aspens, drainage bottoms, parks - hunt the openings that you can glass and see into. Just look for that big black spot that you think maybe a cow. This area really frustrated me, big time. But have patience. Also get a BLM property map that will help.

Good Luck.

I took a 7.5' quad and highlighted all the public ground and GPSed all the section corners and navigational points, then had it laminated for wet weather use, so I'm real comfortable with the ownership issue. Now that we've been back a few days we're getting pumped to go back in November and see what we can do then!

Thanks for the input.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom