MOOSE HELP

chipc

Very Active Member
I'm starting to work on my 2011 plan. I have 11 moose preference points. That would get me into any unit except 41/ 38, 1, 34, 42/43. There are only 211 of us N.R.with 11 or more points but I think most of the guys that are left are holding out for on of those 4 ''top'' units so I could be in for a long wait if I stick with one of them. So, I'm looking for advice on a unit I can draw now. I've been considering 25, 23, 26, 27 but I'm open to anything. I'd be on my own with no horses, etc. so I need an area with good access. Not looking for a booner but a nice bull. I'd sure appreciate any help or advice you could give me. PM me if you'd prefer. THANKS. Chip

I hunted 23 a few years ago and it was ok but not as easy as some say. my wife just hunted 42/43 and I was not impressed at all, we hunted hard for 2 weeks and saw very few moose and no big bulls.

Unless you're in a real hurry I'd hold out for 1 or 34. if I had it to do over thats what both of us would have done.

I second that. 1 and 38 are dream units-especially if you are DIY because the access is so good. The wait won't be too long maybe....

CHIP......I DREW UNIT 23 IN 2008.......IT WAS A TOTAL WASTE OF MOOSE POINTS DUE TO THE WOLF ACTIVITY......AS THE LOCALS SAW IT. I WILL AGREE.....HORSES ARE ALSO NEEDED IN MOST PLACES. DONT WASTE YOUR POINTS IN THE GREYS RIVER (23) ON MOOSE.......YD.

With that many points it would tough not to hang tight and go for a premier area. With that said i drew area 22 last year as a resident. With the heat couldnt find a bull until the very end of sept and got him with my bow. He wwent 41.5 wide. Seen a few others on the hoof and in pics. They werent any bigger or smaller. I think this is about the caliber of bull for the area. I am sure if you hunt more in to the rut you might find better. I just wanted to use the sharp stick... Good lUck

Seen plenty of good Moose in the Grey's and Little Grey's every year. More Moose than Elk two years ago. Wolfie howlin' on the Grayback, etc...
They just seem to be on the move is all.
Where? Idunno.

Rump

Quick question. I haven't looked at the points it'll take in 2011 yet, but my son has 12 moose points going into next year's draw, and I'm thinking it might be time to use them. Can he draw unit 1 as a non-resident with 12 points next year?

I just took these 2 pics in 26 yesterday..
1769p1010501.jpg

9311p1010512.jpg

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom