Moose hunt suggestions

virgil125

A couple of buddies and myself are looking to go on a moose hunt. Been putting in for tags in the states without any success. Looking for some suggestions on some of the Canadian provinces and guides and outfitters.

What's the budget? ....and size desires?
Those are probably the biggest issues......really.
You can find some cheap hunts but success and size might come into play. You can find some great hunts but they cost real money.
Good luck and keep us posted on what you want to do.
Zeke

+1 on Zeke's comment. We are headed to AK this fall for our 3rd trip with Papa Bear. they are booked through 2017 though. hard to find a better place to go than with them though for the size of moose you can shoot and the cost.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Hunting moose, more so than most other critters, is a "pay or pay" proposition. You either pay an outfitter on a guided hunt or you pay with planning, gear, physical effort and mental testing and limited access on a more unguided basis.

Moose a huge and surprisingly difficult to hunt, at times, and they are especially hard to extract from the back country so choose your poison wisely.

They are a blast to hunt!

Again, good luck.

Zeke

if you are thinking British Columbia I can recommend Stone MT. Safaris in northern part of providence

DO NOT use Dan Brooks/ Cristal lake in b.c. They are jackoffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can't say enough bad about them. They love to book hunts and don't love you to kill. If you do go 100% like we did. They will freak out and charge thousands more to get your paperwork to leave Canada. My vote.... do it your self NO GUIDE.

If you are a nonresident you can't hunt big game in BC without a registered guide or resident host.

If you are a nonresident alien (not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident ) the resident host has to be an immediate family member.

Don't use "Wildlife Adventures, Inc. BCHunter"....absolutely the worst! Guides just want to drive around all day in trucks looking for moose. I got a stiff neck from looking sideways out the truck window. The guide my son and I had was totally worthless, he knew nothing about "spot and stalk" hunting. And the worst part the guide was always smoking cigarettes. On the second day I told him "don't ever smoke around us when we are hunting". Also this guide was a "stumblebum" he tripped over everything, shuffled his feet and stunk of cigarette smoke. Finally I convinced him to stay behind us a hundred yards while hunting.
One of the biggest issues I had with them was "their" rule about shooting moose....they insist on a 30 inch min. antler size. The F&G regs in the area we hunted (all public land) allows for "any antlered moose", no antler size limit. I am all for maintaining quality animals but any legal moose is a good moose. Another little rule they tell you the day before you hunt is "you are not allowed to shoot until the guide verifies the size and legality of the moose". This kept me from shooting a huge bull because "numbnuts the guide" could not see the bull at 250 yds.
During our week long hunt there were ten or twelve hunters. Only two moose taken, one by another guest and one by my son. The only reason my son got his moose is because I spotted the bull and told "numbnuts" to stay in the truck until we shot the bull....he did! We stalked the bull for about a half mile and my son dropped him at 75 yards. On one day my son and I wanted to walk down a dirt road and check out the area. The guide said "go ahead, I'm gonna stay here at the truck and have a smoke". So we walk the road for a few hundred yards and I see a nice Mule Deer buck (we had deer tags also). My son gets off the road and lays prone and waits for a good 200 yd. shot. Next thing I see is the buck snap his head up and look sideways, and wouldn't you know it....it's "numbnuts" stumbling down the road. The buck bolts before my son can shoot. I said to the guide..."didn't you see my son aiming and didn't you see the buck"? His response was "what buck"?
Unless things have changed I do not recommend this outfitter.
PB

Thanks for posting these bad outfitters. I think more of them need to be called out for poor performance. They don't understand how much faith we put in them to make a great hunt for us. We spend a ton of money and put it in their hands.

Here is a suggestion, In Maine as a non-resident you
can purchase as many chances in the draw as you want
to at $55 per 10 chances. If you buy 50 of those
bundles of 10 or 500 chances for $ 2,750 you should
have about a 50% chance of drawing a tag. It's a
gamble but it could be great if you draw---good luck!
You have until May 14th to apply.

A day or so after I posted this question I received a magazine from the Alberta guide association. Went thru it and contacted a few outfitters and have it narrowed down to a couple.

I know non-residents that have spent in excess of $2,200.00 for extra chances on drawing a Maine tag. They were not drawn. Do not go that route. Over the last ten years I uhave repeatedly asked Maine F&W for the figures and success rates for NR's that purchase lots of chances....they have never been forthcoming. They don't want that info to hurt sales.

Looking at giving up my Maine/VT/NH Moose apps myself. After listening to Bernie Sanders and watching North Woods Law, i dont think I could stand being up there.

>Looking at giving up my Maine/VT/NH
>Moose apps myself. After listening
>to Bernie Sanders and watching
>North Woods Law, i dont
>think I could stand being
>up there.

Don't blame you, but Isn't he promising free tags, guns, and ammo to all? Maybe free trucks and free gas too!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom