Moose/Sheep

Thill

What an awesome week! Most of my outdoor buddies know I am one of the luckiest CO hunters. This year lighting struck and I drew my 2nd Big Horn Sheep tag, and after 30 years of applying drew a coveted Bull Moose Tag!. Both hunts ended up being amazing. I was fortunate enough to harvest an excellent Big Horn Ram and monster Bull Moose. I spent most of September losing weight and hunting 13 days and nights above timberline to get my ram and then was lucky enough to harvest a 51" monster bull moose on my 3rd day. Wasn't able to locate the beasty rams that I found scouting and ultimately was running out of time and energy, but am more than pleased with the ram I harvested. I will submit an article for the RMBS later this fall when things slow down and want to thank everyone involved in the journey.

Sheep1.jpeg

Sheep3.jpeg

Moose29.jpeg

Fantastic and congrats! What a season! What do you have left Thill ?
This year has been overload and keeps getting worse. I am mentoring a new biggame hunter next week in the Flattops for elk. I really can't back out now and he is so looking forward to the trip. Historically I would have almost guaranteed him a bull and or cow, but who knows this year in the flattops.

My bull elk hunt will be 2nd season this year and I do look forward to it as we have taken some good bulls on this hunt and it was not part of the winterkill area. I usually pick up a buck tag on the leftover list/reissue list but I haven't been near a computer on Wednesday for the last 6 weeks. I guess I might have one more chance this coming week as I am leaving on Thursday to pack in. Every couple of years we stumble onto a toad of buck where we hunt and I have to many preference points to apply for this unit.

Shortly after this hunt, I am taking a couple of old farts on cow hunt in Wyoming that should be a day or two at most and conducted mostly from trucks or UTV's.

Then the 1st week of December, I am going with my son on a Unit 10 AZ elk hunt.

The wife is pretty annoyed as a whole with my lack of home time and I am spending the next couple of days trying to get our firewood supply set for winter.

I truly wouldn't wish 2 OIL tags for anyone in the same year. If I wasn't fairly recently retired it would have been a nightmare to take off as much as I did for the hunts and that is not counting the time I spent scouting.

Dang I would love to take on that stress of two OIL tags in one year haha, much the less that’s an awesome bull looks to be a wide one, how wide? And let’s see some better pics of you with your ram. Congratulations on two amazing experiences and animals.

I don't have many other pictures of the ram as I was by myself when I shot him at about 40 yards. He was with 5 other rams. He was 32" x 15 and 8 years old. I don't want to discredit this beautiful ram and had 2nd thoughts about shooting him as the other 4 shooters I had been chasing where most likely 36-40" range. But I was only going to have one other camp move or my moose tag was going to be down to a week. The article will be in RMBS at some point in the future.

The bull ended up being 51" and had 7.5 bases. I actually located him after getting a lead on a big moose when I dropped off my ram at the processor. Talk about good timing!!! A group of guys showed me pictures and told about a giant moose they had seen the day before. I immediately took off trying to find this bull and DID, unfortunately he was on private. After a bunch of door knocking I located the ranch manager whom told he would not and could not give me permission to shoot the bull, but the bull routinely moved a mile or two up the drainage and would probably be on BLM or public within the next week as he had been moving back and forth for the last week or so since he showed up.

After seeing but not being able to hunt this bull, I went back to camp and believe or not found the bull I ended up shooting ---again on private property several miles from the other bull on my way to camp. However this bull was very close to where I could shoot it. I spent the next 2 days checking on these bulls and got more good leads on where to find quality bulls. Tuesday am after checking on the bull I shot, I couldn't find him and headed over to find the bigger bull only to see my bull squarely in the area I could hunt and in short order closed the deal.

Sheep2.jpeg

image0.jpeg

Moose17.jpeg

Picked up the meat yesterday, making moose chili for the next week's 1st rifle hunt.
The processor said the damm neck yielded 85lbs of meat alone. Got 7 full boxes of meat with no specialty cuts, just steaks/roasts/burger!
These moose are just huge here in CO, I can't imagine what big Alaskan or Yukon moose would be like to packout or retrieve.

Awesome year Thrill! Will be hard to top! Great animals, and im sure great memories to go along with it! Congratulations!

I don't have many other pictures of the ram as I was by myself when I shot him at about 40 yards. He was with 5 other rams. He was 32" x 15 and 8 years old. I don't want to discredit this beautiful ram and had 2nd thoughts about shooting him as the other 4 shooters I had been chasing where most likely 36-40" range. But I was only going to have one other camp move or my moose tag was going to be down to a week. The article will be in RMBS at some point in the future.

The bull ended up being 51" and had 7.5 bases. I actually located him after getting a lead on a big moose when I dropped off my ram at the processor. Talk about good timing!!! A group of guys showed me pictures and told about a giant moose they had seen the day before. I immediately took off trying to find this bull and DID, unfortunately he was on private. After a bunch of door knocking I located the ranch manager whom told he would not and could not give me permission to shoot the bull, but the bull routinely moved a mile or two up the drainage and would probably be on BLM or public within the next week as he had been moving back and forth for the last week or so since he showed up.

After seeing but not being able to hunt this bull, I went back to camp and believe or not found the bull I ended up shooting ---again on private property several miles from the other bull on my way to camp. However this bull was very close to where I could shoot it. I spent the next 2 days checking on these bulls and got more good leads on where to find quality bulls. Tuesday am after checking on the bull I shot, I couldn't find him and headed over to find the bigger bull only to see my bull squarely in the area I could hunt and in short order closed the deal.

View attachment 121992

View attachment 121994

View attachment 121995
Two great trophies! Congrats!

Awesome year Thrill! Will be hard to top! Great animals, and im sure great memories to go along with it! Congratulations!
HntHrdr Thrill - Is actually Thill/ Tim Hill!!
Hope everyone has a great upcoming season for those whom haven't started yet.

Great memories and it sounds like they might have a moose tag in Unit 214 next year, if they do the tag holder should definitely talk with me as I have a dandy in my neighborhood on public.

Congrats on a great ram and bull! You are going to have a hefty taxidermy bill! You better have a big wall space available for your moose!

I was in the same predicament quite a few years ago when I drew Colo mtn goat and bighorn tags. I spent every weekend that summer scouting "God's Country!" The photos and memories from that season were totally awesome. Looking back, my scouting trips were super rewarding and longer lasting because I shot both critters on opening day of each perspective season.

I'm sure there are a lot of jealous hunters drooling over your experience and gorgeous critters!

Congrats on both animals. I drew sheep and moose in CO in the same year in 2021 and I fully understand the stress of having both tags in the same year with overlapping seasons. My sheep and moose were almost identical in size to both of yours. Congrats again

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom