Moose Size

greatbasin

Can someone give me an idea how much the quarters of a mature Shiras weigh...front and back? I'm just trying to get an idea compared to elk.

I am guessing, but I think a hind quarter would be 125 to 145 pounds. I shot a pretty good sized bull and it yielded about 400 pounds of meat.

It really depends on the bull. I shot a giant shiras bull a couple years ago. He yielded 620 pounds of boned meat. (Thanks boys for helping pack it out) I quartered the bull to let it cool over night and I could hardly move the hinds. My father shot a shiras that yeilded around 400#, which I think is more the norm.

Don't know what you are up to, but my best advice would be to visit a taxidermist BEFORE your hunt and learn to cape it out, off the head, before packing it out. It would save you a lot of head and back aches. Best of luck.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com

I'm not really up too anything. I was just was wondering the size difference when the meat hits the ground, between moose and elk. Thanks for the info.

I didn't mean to imply that you were up to no good. Just thought you might be crazy enough to try to figure out how to pack one of those critters out on your back.haha I shot my bull a good ways from the truck, with a mountain between the truck and the dead moose. Hope you get a tag and can have the experience.

www.sagebasin.com

650 pounds of boneless meat off a shiras? That must have been a whopper.

My buddy and I each shot average Alaskan bulls. We boned and packed each out on our backs. 6 trips for each bull, we didn't weigh any of it, but our best guess was 900-950lbs of meat total for both bulls.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-09 AT 01:02PM (MST)[p]Sorry, I hit the 6 and not the 5. It was 520 lbs. And yes, he was big.

www.sagebasin.com

As I recall, my 8 year old Wyoming bull ended up being about 300+ pounds in the freezer cut and wrapped. So around 400 lbs. sounds like a pretty standard weight.

I shot a large alaskan bull. After it was processed we took home just shy of 600lbs. The biggest difference between a mature moose and elk that i saw was that a moose front shoulder was double the weight, but the rear quarter was less. the backstraps on a moose were not really big, but the amount of meat on the neck, brisket, and rib cage was ridiculous. We were cutting roast size chunks of meat off the brisket. And for anyone wondering it was delicious almost as good as elk.

Bambistew, Packout is just being modest, as usual. His bull is HUGE, and Ranks #1 in UT for archery. In comparison, my wife's bull was 5 years old and netted 320#'s of wrapped meat. Standing next to her bull was another bull pictured below that I figure went 200 #'s heavier. He dwarfed my wife's bull.

Yelum
4b3a992531715bc0.jpg

Front shoulders about 110 pounds apiece, back quarters about 75 pounds apiece, all the scrap meat off the neck and ribs backstraps and tenderloins was about 120 pounds. Estimated butcher weight was 475-500 pounds.
4b3bb97e70ecbf5e.jpg

finnman,
That's what I was looking for, good info. It's crazy how the front qtrs. weigh more than the hinds, but you can see it clearly in your photo. BTW, about that bull...what state? Did you end up taking him?

I have packed out 5 Moose total on Alaska trips 2 of my own. In my case we have seen about everything, close to the river, far from the river and in the river. We almost killed the guy that shot one in the river. I would rather pack it 2 miles than go through that again. There is no 1/4 ering a moose it comes down to 1/8 and 1/16. Bring duct tape cause when that pack frame hits your shoulders your A- hole is going to fly out.

Snuffy said, "Bring duct tape cause when that pack frame hits your shoulders your A- hole is going to fly out."

LMAO, Very informing post!! :)

Joey

Mine yielded 425 pounds of boned out meat. Took 3 of us 4 hours to move quarters 80 yards downhill to a truck.

And yes, that was a Shiras!

We got about 300 pounds oh hambuger alone from my bull!
That is not counting the roasts and steaks we got from him too.
I would say we got close to 400-450 pounds total meat
It helped a lot getting him out whole!
4b41026568881359.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jan-04-10 AT 09:30AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-04-10 AT 09:28?AM (MST)

Alaska F&G has an estimated maximum weight for Alaska/Yukon Moose;

1650# live weight / 990# carcass weight / 564# boned out

Your individual pack weight really just depends on how you cut him up, which depends on how far away the LZ is?? The hind quarters will be around 120 - 140# depending on the size of Bull. The Shiras should yield a fair amount less too.

WWW.PACIFICMOUNTAINGUIDES.COM

GB,
That bull was shot north of Spokane, WA. The wife shot it last year in Oct. after drawing the OIL tag. She took him in a grown over clearcut, 150 yards from a skid trail, we were able to get the Rubicon to him, we cut him in half to get him out with the atv, took our time with the carcass back at camp. The shoulder mount should be ready this month. He scored 143 1/8 BC Net.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-04-10 AT 01:36PM (MST)[p]my 8.5 year old bull (shiras) was about 400lbs. it was rutting hard and had absolutely no fat on it. They are bigger than a mature bull elk, but not too much. I think that plan would be the same. its all heavy and you dont want to pack it very far!

Travis
www.RidgelineOutdoors.com
Blacks-Creek Packs Dealer

Old post but good info...

The AK bull I packed out this year resulted in 422lbs of bonelss meat. It wasn't a big bull, but wasn't a dink either. Intersting that the shiras bulls are that big. Are the UT bulls bigger than the MT or WY bulls?

I also was chatting with the local meat processor, they run through 5-600 moose a year. She said on average a AK bull (with bone in quarters) plus trim, backstraps, Tloins will run 500lbs +/-, a monster bull will push the 600lb mark with bone in quarters...

just wait till you walk up on one after its down. They are biiiig animals. Very delicious big animals

My son shot a cow a couple of years ago. When we got the quarters to the processor, they weighed over 370 pounds.

Great Basin, someone mentioned something about walking up on one and just gasping.

I have not shot a Siras but I can tell you that when you walk up on this you can not help but think "oh crap". I am sure it is the same feeling. We were 3 miles from camp!!

Dean

PS we got about 500 lbs of meat.

8107alaska__200.jpg

My experience with a moose was similar to a cow bison. On the ground, the animal seemed immense. Although the amount of boned out meet was not significantly greater than an elk, everything else about the animal was bigger. The head was larger, the hide weighed more, the legs and feet were larger, the bones were heavier, etc. The total live weight was significantly more than an elk, even though the amount of meat from the processor was similar.

my shiras experiences, involved with with 6 bulls on the ground, boned weight ranging between 385 to 520. my own bull being 520, but certainly not the biggest rack, only 36 inches. i would agree with packout, bank on 400 plus of boned out meat.
just my 2 cents

I arrowed a Utah shiras this year. got him out Whole. At the butcher no hide no legs no head 977 lbs. Over 400 in the freezer.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom