Moose

3 and 14 never missed a year since they gave the first two tags
in 1988? Not sure on first year just know I have applied every year.

another point for me :(
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

3-13 now...I was checking in my dads cow moose last year and there were two bull hunters who drew with 3-1 and 3-2...weighted points are total bull s##t

>3-13 now...I was checking in my
>dads cow moose last year
>and there were two bull
>hunters who drew with 3-1
>and 3-2...weighted points are total
>bull s##t

I tend to agree. I've always likened the drawing and weighted points to having more ping pong balls in the drawing, but I'm not sure how accurate that is. I think they should modify it slightly so those guys with more weighted points really have the upper hand. I'm at 3+8; 3+13 must really be depressing.

>>3-13 now...I was checking in my
>>dads cow moose last year
>>and there were two bull
>>hunters who drew with 3-1
>>and 3-2...weighted points are total
>>bull s##t
>
>
>I tend to agree. I've
>always likened the drawing and
>weighted points to having more
>ping pong balls in the
>drawing, but I'm not sure
>how accurate that is.
>I think they should modify
>it slightly so those guys
>with more weighted points really
>have the upper hand.
>I'm at 3+8; 3+13 must
>really be depressing.

Your application number is divided by the number of weighted points you have plus one to give you a lower application number thus improving your odds in theory. As a NR, It seems to me every year my odds are getting worse even with another weighted preference point because more applicants are eligible to enter the drawing pool than leaving the drawing pool by drawing a tag.

3+11 for me...

Horniac

>3 and 14 never missed a
>year since they gave the
>first two tags
>in 1988? Not sure on
>first year just know I
>have applied every year.

Tomichi,

First year for CO bull moose tags was 1985, 5 tags issued to 485 applicants.

I feel your pain, this year makes 0 for 27 for me, I didn't start until 1988.

There's only 1 degree of DEAD!

>How do you gents propose to
>change the system?

3+8 for me now. Just for the record I'm pretty happy with the system we have in place now. Best change I could think of would be to make it so applicants would have to choose either sheep, goat or moose. Simple and effective.

According to the "purchases on file page", my wife drew her unit 171 cow moose tag! Go with the bull she shot up there a few years ago.

How is your application number determined? Seems that could really make a difference in your potential odds.

How would I fix it? Shoot, I don't know. I do like that a guy with 3 points is eligible, but I don't like that a guy with 3+15 or more can't seem to draw.

Maybe they could compound the odds of drawing as your weighted points go up. So the longer you strike out, the better your odds get. And not just a little better, but a lot better. Theoretically, under the current system odds are supposed to get better, but results don't seem seem to weigh heavy enough in the favor of guys that have been putting in for years and years. I do think the current system is better than elk and deer where its most points wins?

Another alternative would be to increase the number of points required to draw? say to 6 points.

Just my thoughts. No system is perfect and I realize that.

>How is your application number determined?
> Seems that could really
>make a difference in your
>potential odds.
>
>How would I fix it?
>Shoot, I don't know. I
>do like that a guy
>with 3 points is eligible,
>but I don't like that
>a guy with 3+15 or
>more can't seem to draw.
>
>
>Maybe they could compound the odds
>of drawing as your weighted
>points go up. So
>the longer you strike out,
>the better your odds get.
> And not just a
>little better, but a lot
>better. Theoretically, under the
>current system odds are supposed
>to get better, but results
>don't seem seem to weigh
>heavy enough in the favor
>of guys that have been
>putting in for years and
>years. I do think
>the current system is better
>than elk and deer where
>its most points wins?
>
>Another alternative would be to increase
>the number of points required
>to draw? say to 6
>points.
>
>Just my thoughts. No system
>is perfect and I realize
>that.

There is absolutely no draw system that is going to make it easier or fair when there is such a HUGE demand for so FEW moose tags.
The nice thing is that it seems like every other year or so they add a couple new units for moose due to their expansion! Granted it will take a longgggg time to increase those odds, but at least it is headed in the right direction!

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Quote: "There is absolutely no draw system that is going to make it easier or fair when there is such a HUGE demand for so FEW moose tags."

That's it, in a nutshell.

Pikespeakgoat, Thanks to long ago to remember for me. I stand by never missing a aplication. I feel a little better knowing that one of the 76 tags went to a (MAX) point holder. And I hope to go with him!!! I know I will scout and diga scope for him.

Square points. People with a lot of points get a MAJOR advantage. And folks with a few points still have a chance. Every point earned becomes much more valuable. Nevada has it right IMO.

>Square points. People with a lot
>of points get a MAJOR
>advantage. And folks with a
>few points still have a
>chance. Every point earned becomes
>much more valuable. Nevada has
>it right IMO.

Neveda's draw system is often given as the "most fair" system out there. Squared bonus points would seem to give the max point holders a far greater advantage, but when you look at the results, it's not the case. Of 28 non-resident desert sheep tags issued in NV last year, 2 went to max point holders (see link below). The vast majority were scattered out among the applicants in the middle tiers, just like they are in CO. Why? Because there are far more applicants in those tiers, and the odds are more likely that the "low number" will be drawn by one of the 100 applicants in those tiers rather than the one or two applicants in the max pool.

http://www.ndow.org/uploadedFiles/n..._Tags_Permits/Tags/2013_NR_Desert_Bighorn.pdf

I agree with Bulldog too that the NV system is more fair than the current one. The current system is about as close to a random drawing and if you draw a low number, you'll win! At least mentally I'd feel better having better odds than someone who's only waited 3 years as there's very little difference in odds with the current system. Meanwhile the State is collecting our fees and those of us with a lot of points feel compelled to stick with it and hope for the best. At least I do.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom