Moose

huntnrich

Nobody every post much about Moose in Wyoming. I know there in trouble and populations are down, but I have 11 NR points going into next year, and I hate to loose them after all this time. I've watch Unit 26 in the last 4 years go way down in population. 4 years ago when I didn't have enough points to draw, I seen some nice bulls. Last year I spent alot of time there, and didn't see a decent bull, and not many moose period. So if anybody has any advice I'd sure appreciate it. I'm ready to go moose hunting.

Thanks

The biggest bull I've seen in a few years was in unit 26 this year. We actually saw a few nice bulls. This was the first week of November so they will be around next year.

If you are somewhat familiar with 26 from past experience then you should go with it IMHO.

I drew a bull tag in Unit 18 in 2002 and took a nice bull,but it was the only bull I saw in 4 days of scouting.I took him on thefirst day of season.Very good hunt ,but population of moose was not what I expected . I had a license for one moose and that is what I found .Could havebeen better but could have ended worse.
What an animal to pack out. I thought elk were big.there a baby when compared to packing moose.Those things are huge !

Rem308 is dead on with area 18. Had the tag this year shot a nice bull. The picture is in the contest pics under (one cool bull moose). From seeing 8 of the 15 tag holders moose mine was one of the larger ones. Nice bulls yes, monster bulls no. Rem308 I would like to see a picture of the bull you took.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-07-09 AT 06:00PM (MST)[p]All my pictures are 35MM and I don't know how I can put them on the web.He has a 34 inch spred with 4 even points on each side.Small palms,but a nice bull just the same ,but not a monster by any means.

I'm going in with 10 pts but haven't decided what unit to apply in or whether to go DIY or with a guide.Any thoughts from the DIY's out there or the past guided hunters

With 10 points (resident) area 24- 47% area 25- 100%.Area 25 is limited access,area 24 covers several creeks that hold moose.Area 18- 14% it was good for me.I would go with a guide,about the same price if you add up diy to a guided hunt.I hunted diy,lucky my moose was close to a road or it would of taken a solid day of hard work to get him out.Even a nice bull moose seemed to be hard to see after days of scouting, bow hunting and finally rifle. I think a good guide, a good area, ='s a good moose.

HUNTED UNIT 23 IN 2008.......NEVER SEEN THE MOOSE POPULATION SO DOWN.....LOCALS CLAIMED THE WOLF POPULATION IS WAY UP....SAW TRACKS BUT NOT THE WOLVES................YD.

this is a picture of my 3 bull taken in western Wyoming in 2009. He is 43 wide. Took 9 days to find him. Many wolves and grizzly encounters.

I tried again to post a picture of my 2009 moose.

4b4894166940d8b3.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jan-11-10 AT 11:26PM (MST)[p]I drew last year with 10 points!
Davidhttp://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/User_files/4b4c15847fa0c6d2.jpg

I've got 13 NR points, I think that's pretty close to the max. I've been applying or buying a point since they started the PP system. I've been looking at areas 41 and 38, a combined hunt, there shouldn't be any woofs that far south YET. Anybody had any experience in those areas.

David, Awesome Moose. Which unit did you hunt? Did you see a fair amount of Moose? Anyway congrads what a beauty.
Rich

I would opt for 41. Look along the river by Encampment or Riverside. I was in that area last October and saw some good bulls on public land and NF.

Is that a perfectly placed shot with a 8mm? 18 miles back in the wilderness surrounded by wolves

As far as unit 26 is concerned moose numbers are down right pitifully compared to what they used to be. The wolves take their toll on the moose in the winter and seeing a calf make it through the winter in these areas it's a sad state of affairs for the moose population in these areas. 2 years ago my neighbor drew a unit 26 tag and since he was retired has a great pack string and spends tons of time in the back country I was counting on seeing a monster. After over 1 month straight in the unit with both bow hunting and and rifle he ended up taking a bull that you could have taken in about a day long hunt in the unit 10 years ago. A nice bull but not what he was looking for I think he was in the 130" gross range.
But with all of that being said there are still some huge bulls in these units but what I have been noticing is that they are hanging in the edges near people, roads, etc. were wolves don't common. There are still great moose in these areas but they are not as common as they used to be and they are much more wary. I believe to be successful you need to focus on fringe areas that most people look past on their way the the back country.

So now on the the Snowies and SM range. 38 and 41? When this area first opened it was suppose to produce the next world record. I never did obviously. But I have seen some great bulls out of these units and I have seen some absolutely huge bulls come out of Colorado just across the border so I believe there is potential. If you just want a bull and have the points I don't think it would be a very difficult hunt. But I don't know if these units deserve the hardest moose draw in Wyoming. There are easier units in the state that constantly produce larger bulls in my opinion.

I have 11 points and just this year moved to northern Colorado and will just be putting in for points because I wouldn't be able to invest the time that I would like if I drew this year.

Good luck to all in the drawing this spring. I cant wait to see the results of your hunts here this fall.

Do not apply for moose in western WY! Wolves and bears have killed them ALL...
Also, please do not apply for sheep, elk, deer, and antelope. They are all gone! :)

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom