More DVD input needed....

BLACK_PREDATOR

I know many questions have been asked like this before, but I would like the following questions ranked from 1-10. 1 being most important.

When you watch a hunting DVD, what matters most to you when you watch, ??.

A. The over all footage?.close-ups of animals,scenery etc..
B. The size of the animals harvested
C. The species of animal hunted
D. Score of the animals.. told/shown
E. Something new never before seen or filmed.
F. Kill shots
G. Story/background of the hunter
H. Length of DVD 60min. 90min. 120min.
I. Learning something new about the game being hunted.
J. Number of "hunts" on the DVD.

Thanks in advance for your time and input.

Travis Black
BTO
www.blacktimberoutfitters.net

1- C- There's only species right? Muley's
2- A- no BS fake kill shots or funky camera angles, how many camera men can there really be?
3- F- touchy subject, how much is too much?
4- H & J- They should br pretty much hand it hand. But....
5- G- is hanging right there in importance.
Size and score is an after thought to a good hunt or stalk. I don't mind seeing some of the blown attempts also. Good luck!

I would rate I as being the most important.
Then G.

I am in agreement - no fake stuff. - harder to do but can be done.

A. The over all footage?.close-ups of animals,scenery etc..
B. The size of the animals harvested
C. The species of animal hunted
D. Score of the animals.. told/shown
E. Something new never before seen or filmed.
F. Kill shots
G. Story/background of the hunter
H. Length of DVD 60min. 90min. 120min.
I. Learning something new about the game being hunted.
J. Number of "hunts" on the DVD.

WHEN I BUY A VIDEO I LOOK FOR HOW LONG IT IS.
THEN C ,E,F,. I LIKE A STORY THAT GOES WITH THE HUNT LIKE YOU TAKEING ME ALONG FOR THE RIDE. SURE IT NICE TO SEE BIG ANIMALS, BUT I LIKE A GOOD STORY WITH IT. MAKE THE POPCORN TASTE THAT MUCH BETTER. ANYWAYS JUST MY 2 CENTS. THANKS TRAVIS

BUGLEMN

Something I like to see is the failed attempts, missed shots. And hunting public land where the average joe might be able to draw a tag if lucky.

It needs to have a good number of hunts, say at least 15-20. It needs to have quality animals, but score is not important. Kill shots are very important to me. I would like to see a little more background than most videos show, such as location (general), weather conditions, overall hunting conditions, etc. Make it more of a story than just a kill video.

:( Somebody didn't like bouncing betty :(

Hello Todd! The main thing i look for is 100% realism.I want the hunt to be like a story not some fake gun shot and then you see some guy standing next to a animal.I was able to film my friend Gregs State record Muzzleloader Non typical Elk and even though its a little shaky its 100% real and i got the whole thing on tape form the begining of his hunt to it being packed out.It will be on Guy Mills video which should be coming out soon.I also just bought a new HDV camcorder (Sony FX7) and its awesome, HDV is the only way to go.Im even thinking about possibly hiring out as a camera man because i love to film.

Travis, I like a video that shows the overall experience (real) of the hunt. I would rank items in the following order:

1. A. The over all footage?.close-ups of animals,scenery etc.. (Overall experience of the hunt)
2. C. The species of animal hunted (It has to be something I'm interested in)
3. I. Learning something new about the game being hunted. (This is always a good thing)
4. B. The size of the animals harvested (Its always nice to see a mid-size to bigger trophy than a small animal, but again I rate the overall experience)
5. E. Something new never before seen or filmed.
6. G. Story/background of the hunter
7. F. Kill shots (Its nice to see the real-world miss as well as the kill shot)
8. J. Number of "hunts" on the DVD. (Doesn't matter as long as the experience is good)
9. H. Length of DVD 60min. 90min. 120min. (I've spent money on short movies because the content interested me)
10. D. Score of the animals.. told/shown

I think the main thing I agree with as most have said is the hunt must be real, fair chase, and something the average person could do.

I hope this helps.

Take care,
Dave

to ME, F and J are the top priority. i hate to watch Hunting videos and hear nothing but information and how to. if i want to watch a how to video, i will.
Casey

Hi Travis how things down that way, is it looking good for the fall hunts.
A
C
H
J
I
E
B
D

When I watch dvd's I enoy hearing the calling sequence that brings the elk in for the kill. I'd like to hear more about what the bulls score, on the hoof (predictions) as the hunters is either passing up or taken a shot at it. Gives me, the couch hunter, a chance to also judge the animal. I like to see camp scenes and elk calling techniques. I believe a dvd to be 90 minutes or longer. Emotions are allot of what our hunting is about and I like to see it on the dvd. Not fake or planned. I wish people would say where they are hunting, not just NE or NW Arizona. Showing footage of the area hunted not just the area where the bull was called in. I do enjoy watching them and always appreciate the people who put them out.

C,I,A.

So many of the DVDs/shows are blatantly contrived. They have obviously gone back and shot footage of the hunt after they have filled the tag.

Most of these hunts are on private land. Big Deal! The challenge isn't finding or calling critters, its paying the outfitter. I'd rather see a rag-horn or a jake taken on public land than a trophy on somebody's private ranch.

I don't need to know how difficult it was to film the hunt or why some footage is missing.

Last but not least; NO SPEED METAL!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-10-07 AT 09:04AM (MST)[p]Travis,
I am very much like 257Tony in that I love a story, and background. Who is the hunter and outfitter? (a little human interest). Kill shots are a must for me (tasteful of course) and I hate it when they briefly show the animal on the ground and then are off to another hunt. I like to see and hear the hunter's feelings after it's all over.
My favorite videos are Bart Lancaster's and The Bighorn Ram series (John Lutten sp?)

Thanks for all the responses, I hope to get many more....
We are in the process of putting together a new elk DVD, and any input is much appreciated....

All of the hunts will be from the San Juan Unit here in southeaster Utah. All of them are of average joe hunters that spent a long time putting in to final draw a tag, and we were lucky enough to tag along and give them a hand hunting and were able to film some awesome footage...

for a taste of what we are putting together,....feel free to watch our short demo on our homepage....
http://www.blacktimberoutfitters.net

thanks again guys for the input....once we are done we will probably be giving away a handfull for some more feed back.

Gator....well have to see how this falls hunts go,...
Our water year is ok since we had a huge Oct. but we have only had 1.5 inches of moisture since Jan. 1. Well see how it effects the antler growth...

more later
Travis

i think mossback puts together a good movie.watch one of theirs and see what i mean. lots of summer and previous year footage is important. it makes you really want to see the animal on the ground. lots of hunts with animals of good size. kill shots are important. storys behind the animals and how you found them and whatnot. i hate it when you have 15 seconds of footage of an animal before it hits the ground.

"TRACKS DON'T STINK UP A FRYING PAN"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom