More tipping questions

acafton

O.K. so it sounds like we have different opinions on how much, or if a tip is necessary. I have never hunted with an outfitter before, but wondered how the tip is distributed. Do you tip the outfitter? The guide? Cooks? How much of the overall tip goes to each? Or do you just give the whole tip to the outfitter and let him distribute it to the others? Please forgive my ignorance and help me out on this one, especially if you are a guide, outfitter, etc.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-01-06 AT 06:17PM (MST)[p]No way would I tip the outfitter unless he personally guided me, other than that, The guide tip the best, then the wrangler,then the cook. $200 and up for a guide is nice, $100 for the wrangler, and then $100 to $75 for the cook. Depends on how they all treat you to. I get lots of $200 for guiding plus some times, some kind of gift. That is on deer and antelope and elk. Remember they not only guide you,they skin and cape,babysit,BS, and answer all your questions. 10 to 14 hour days, 7 days a week. I would also never hand over a large some of cash to the outfitter to distribute. To much room for corruption. I did that in Africa once, and I know damn good and well he kept most of it. To me, it is more personal to hand to them, shake their hand, and say thank you!

A guy that is a mechanic gives me $100 is the same as a 6 figure lawyer giving me $500.

If I ever went on a hunt that an outfitter quoted me a price I would tip the same as I tip when I buy a new truck from the ford dealer. You need to tip the delivery driver, the dealer,the prep man, the mechanic, the shag man and the salesman.

I think Huck58 numbers are reasonable, they would be a total of about 10% for a $4,000 hunt. You could adjust these numbers based on the service you receive, If the cook feeds you peanut butter sandwiches all week you could give him less and you could give the guide more if you were well pleased with his efforts.

Huck 58 covered it pretty much. Also it depends on how good of a animal i shot and how hard we had to work for it. On one trip i harvested a nice mule deer that made the books and i had 800.00 left over after the hunt i gave it to my guide, i know he earned every bit of it. I also like to ask the guides what they do in the off season, some don't work very good summer jobs so i give them a little extra. i have a soft heart..

So Why is a mechanics $100 the same as a lwyers $500? Are tips base on a clients income? Do guides size up there clients to figure what a good tip should be? Maybe thats why they always ask what I do.

I've never given a percent of this or that. I always based it on the experience and service whether I shot or not. Now when i have taken my kids I'm always much more giving when they treat my daughters like hunters and not children.

Most guides I have met make 200-400/day and are very good. If they work hard I try to increase there take by at least 50% (100-200/day). Unfortunately all guides arn't created equall. just as all mechanics and lawers. No I'm not a lawyer just thinks it's inapropriate to base a tip on ones salary.

I would tip based on how you feel the service was. The guide is your most important one to think about. Like Huck has covered already, he is doing much more than just finding you a good animal. When I have been on a hunt for myself in Mexico, I tipped the guide with some money and some items like a knife etc....and tipped the cook with some money and extra items like flashlights I brought with me that I know are "special things" that are not as readily available to those people living way out in the middle of nowhere. When I have guided, I have been tipped in cash and am thankful for whatever I am given. Alot of my friends have been tipped huge amounts and small amounts. Tipped in products like binoculars and tipped in cash so it really depends on the person tipping and what they feel the "worth" of the service was...... Thanks, Allen Taylor......

I have seen a six figure,lawyer, tip $200 for a desert big horn, that was shot on the second day, missed the book by a few inches, then they wanted a refund on the balance of the 8 day hunt because they were only there 2 days. Go figure, then I have seen "mechanics" that might make $40k a year give the same $200 or $100 and never complain, an absolute pleasure to be around,could talk about everything, and never once mentioned the record book and how many animals he had in it. And shot a respectable 160 muley. His $100 or $200 was the same as if the lawyer had given me $500.

RE: Good points and interesting topic

I've been on both sides of the fence but I'll focus on my personal experiences as the hunter. However, I will say that a good guide/outfitter spends his/her time doing a lot more for us than just the 3-14 days we're with them. They are keeping track of game, making mental/written notes of where food sources, trails, bedding areas, fires, blowouts, commercial intrusions, sheds and winter kills effect the following season, and thus; our success. They spend their hard earned money printing adverts, business cards, traveling to shows (gas, booth rental, food, hotel, etc), PHONE bills and time, making the big show in the fall as good as they can make it. Add to this the fortune they might have to spend on horses, tack, tents, food, cookware, wood/fuel, and quality employees. Point being, tips are usually greatly appreciated by all of an outfit's personnel, from the head person down. I base a tip on: 1. What I can afford, 2. How well I was or wasn't taken care of, 3. How experienced my guide is, and 4. How hard they worked to put me on game. I realize hunting is just that: hunting. No guide worth their salt will guarantee you a top notch trophy, not in the real world under real hunting conditions. Yes, I realize there are exceptions. Sheep as an example tend to be where he saw them yesterday, and sometimes so will other game. But the guide knows how wildlife really is: wild. So budget accordingly to what you can afford, and tip based on having a good time, whether you take an animal or only great memories off the mountain. You'll not only sleep better over it, but most guides learn to read people well, and good guides are like most of us: good folks that appreciate something from the heart. They understand that one guys $100 tip is just as well intended as the "rich" guy that can afford a $500 tip. Good hunting, grayghost

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom