Mossback antelope island buck

Personally I think we should outlaw hunting on the island and introduce wolves

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

>>Huge buck, congrats to the hunter.
>>
>>
>>If I had the money to
>>hunt all over, and buy
>>auction tags heck I would
>>do it too. ...............
>
>And so would EVERY jealous "Sum
>Bidge" on this site!
> I can't even believe some
>of the posts on here.......
>
>>
>

A golden nugget of truth found beneath a big pile of horseshitt....

:)

Great post by Hoss. As an out-of-state, first time visitor to the Island (unknowingly on the day before the auction hunt) I had no trouble seeing and photographing the Austed buck on the hoof. I have plenty of pictures of him and his ladies to prove it. He was not in hiding, and it was no feat to get within 100 yds of him in his semi-wild, rutting state. Nothing against Mossback. They are making a living. For Denny, great buck, no glory.

Love Hoss's comments.

I wish there was also a "hunter prowess" score. The antler score divided by the per $1000 spent to obtain. A 270 score buck that cost $100,000 would get a score of 2.7. A 270 score buck that was a diy that cost less than $1000 would get a score of 270.

Having said that, I am glad they have the AI hunt - and congratulations to the hunter and those that draw.

That one deer generates as much money as some regions in the general deer hunt and it gives some public guy an opportunity to do the same. It is an easy trophy hunt, and doesn't really display a hunter's skill, but it is sustainable and increases opportunity in an area that couldn't go general.

Denny or MB did nothing wrong. They played by the rules. If there is a problem it's the hunt itself. But because the hunt generates big bucks for the state I wouldn't count on the DWR making any changes for now.

Eldorado

Seems like every argument on MM has to be an all or nothing proposition.

:-(

I find some truth in both sides of this argument.

Certainly, no guided hunt compares with the skill required or satisfaction found in do it yourself hunts.

Though I've killed a few great animals with guides they don't compare to the many DIY hunts I've had with my son, not even close when it comes to the feeling of satisfaction of being able to earn it on your own.

In my opinion, the animals killed with guides almost have an imaginary asterisk next to them*.

It really ain't that tough at all to amass a room full of big trophy animals if you have the money and time to shop for them like you're flipping through a Sears catalog or going from booth to booth booking guided hunts at the big hunting conventions.
I know for a fact that some of the guys I know wouldn't have hardly jack on their walls if they had to go DIY.
And I'm honest enough to admit I would have a much less impressive collection if you took away a few of the great animals I killed with guides over the years.

However If I had Denny's money I for sure would have a couple of ranches where I could pursue big bucks & bulls on my own, but I would ALSO be using a guide here and there to hunt what I didn't have access to on my own or in places where they are required by law (Africa, Canada, Ak sheep, goat & grizz etc..).

Here goes...

If I had millions of dollars in disposable income, I'd go on every awesome hunt I could and take my family and friends with me...you can't tell me if you could afford it you wouldn't too, it might be kinda sad but it's how it is

"Don't hate the player hate the game" is the best way to describe it

"if I had the money", I would stay semi or fully retired and spend the entire fall in the hills hunting. Flying in and shooting something TO ME seems lame. For what Denny (et al) spend, I could work 6 months out of the year, and live on the mtn the other 6. Lets face it, a lot of us would rather be the "mountain" man roaming central utah, than some guy every guide in the mtn west glad hands and azz kisses.

I agree, Mossback are very good at what they do, but I bet even Doyle is a little embarrased by guiding this hunt. In fact I bet the ONLY reason he does it is Denny pretty much pays doyles mortgage. Killing a big deer on AI is like Tiger Woods winning a mini golf tournament.

Lastly, as a resident of Davis County let me encourage you guys that haven't been out here to come see these deer. That is what the island is for, wildlife viewing, and the money you spend here is appreciated. That even includes MB and Denny. But can we please not worship this kill, its not any kind of accomplishment, IT IS a big deer, but a pretty sad hunt!

"Your just jealous because _____, so you can't know anything!!"

Hossblur- Thanks for telling it like it truly is.
Gets really old hearing from the SFW/Mossback worshippers or plain lazy wanna be hunters.

Before some of you blow a gasket and think I lump all guided and private land hunts as the same as this, you would be wrong.
I realize some are not fortunate to live out where they want to hunt and time is an issue.
Spending time with a knowledeable guide can help those that do not know where to turn and can learn the land and the quarry they are after from those that do.

However this post about the Antelope Island buck is a far cry from the above.
I will quote what my wife said after she read these posts.
"What the h-ll, does this guy have little mans syndrom?" "He must be one lonely sad SOB starving for attention"."How could anyone be proud of shooting a practically tame animal."
I could go on but my post would be deleted.
For once I agree with my wife.Go figure.
Best,
Jerry

oh people....if you didnt know the story on this buck and simply saw it in someones house you would drop your jaw and stare in amazement. would you people stop quarreling over how your opinion is law and just take it for what it is. a freaken monster muley! all you do by whining about how the hunt was unethical is rub your negative opinion off on not only other hunters but that in itself is what gives hunters a bad name. lets see, "im going to go complain to everyone on how this hunt pissed me off and was stupid". what good does that do for hunting? your complaining is doing more to harm to the hunting community than someone seeing a picture of this buck. so please continue the high school quarrel

"I've hunted almost every day of my life, The rest have been wasted"

"oh people....if you didnt know the story on this buck and simply saw it in someones house you would drop your jaw and stare in amazement".

Guess that is one of the problems, you want to hide the story.
The truth is it's a practically tame deer, not much different than a high fence animal. That's the story.
Why be preschool with the facts and the ability needed to shoot the animal in question?
This is "not" hunting and is doing more harm than good for all hunters than anything else. Trying to pass it off other than what it truly is reflects on all of us in a very bad light..
You can try and say a turd tastes great, but many of us are not as dumb as you think.
Best,
Jerry

Since you like facts, I'll give you one. It was not a tame deer. It was a rutting buck with stupid on its brain. The other 11 months out of the year you could not approach it. It wouldn't run for its life, but I've seen bucks on the winter range trhat would let me get closer than most of these deer. They are simply watchable wildlife.

Yelum

LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-12 AT 10:13PM (MST)[p]there is no such thing as one form of hunting.
fact according to webster's dictionary
Noun 1. hunting - the pursuit and killing or capture of wild animals regarded as a sport
Synonyms: hunt

2. hunting - the work of finding and killing or capturing animals for food or pelts
Synonyms: hunt

Sorry to burst your bubble but no matter how much you would like to believe otherwise what you would consider as your form of hunting is "personal opinion"

as another side note yelum is correct. I remember personally jumping this buck out of his bed after he had shed in march. he was 150 yards from me when he got up and wanted nothing to do with me. he ran a solid 250 yards before commencing into a trot for another 300 yards before disappearing out of my sight

>there is no such thing as
>one form of hunting.
>fact according to webster's dictionary
>Noun 1. hunting - (((the pursuit)))
>and killing or capture of
>(((wild animals))) regarded as a
>sport
>Synonyms: hunt
>
> 2. hunting - (((the work
>of finding))) and killing or
>capturing animals for food or
>pelts
>Synonyms: hunt
>
>
>Sorry to burst your bubble but
>no matter how much you
>would like to believe otherwise
>what you would consider as
>your form of hunting is
>"personal opinion"
>"I've hunted almost every day of
>my life, The rest have
>been wasted"
The dictionary I guess got it right. Read it again!

Remember the ol' Realtree debates Jerry?? Those were the good ol' days eh? Sitting in a treestand on a foodplot ain't hunting either right? ;)

LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-12 AT 10:15PM (MST)[p]Yeah I remember BCBoy-Those were the days when MM did not have as many posse wannabes.
Just goes to show you how bad it's really gotten.
Best,
Jerry

LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-12 AT 10:36PM (MST)[p]so let me get this straight. you are claiming that the deer was not "pursued" nor was it "wild"
WILD ANIMALS. Animals in a state of nature
Pur'sue?
1. To follow with a view to overtake; to follow eagerly, or with haste; to chase; as, to pursue a hare.
hmm, i would definitely say that going out to shoot something with a gun would fall under the the same category of "to follow with a view to overtake"
hate to break it to you again, but the deer weren't raised in a pen. they aren't artificially fed at any time of the year. they were born "in a state of nature" in the wild where they had to fend for themselves and survive from natural predators.

read it again and learn the definition of words in the English language, just goes to show how bad the literacy comprehension of some has become.

If this deer was sleeping at the ranch and ran 250yrds, then another 300, he pretty much covered 1/2 the width of the island. Gentlmen, I am not trying to make up some story, COME TO THE ISLAND and see yourself. This is not some "i am as good as MB" speach, although in this case there are at least a dozen guys who are, this is me saying come see for yourself. If you come out, NOT DURING THE RUT, and don't see at least a dozen 30" bucks your blind. In fact, you WILL see more bucks over 24" than you will see does. This hunt DOES NOT equate to any other hunt in the COUNTRY. Unless the State closes off the henries for a hunter. I doubt ANY hunter other than on this island, gets the terrritory closed just for them. By the way, the reason Yelum can tell you when, which one, and how the hunter has killed their buck is because it IS such a small area. Yelum is not a bad guy, I read his posts and he is extremely knowledgeable, but his trying to sell that this hunt is the same as any other hunt I just don't understand. It is not. And yes, if you didn't know the story this would be a huge deer, I know the story and it is a huge deer, but the story makes it sad.
The one thing I will give Denny is that at least this deer is that big and he isn't doing the pose where the deer looks 3x bigger than Denny. The pic is pretty honest. When you guys come to the island, and I hope you do, when you see a maroon s-10 blazer, or a 4 door white chev truck with a dude and a kid, stop me and say hello. I still love to go watch these deer, but I swear to god if uncle ted shows up next year I will burn it down!! Colorado buck??? WTF??

LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-12 AT 11:44PM (MST)[p]

>If this deer was sleeping at
>the ranch and ran 250yrds,
>then another 300, he pretty
>much covered 1/2 the width
>of the island.

250 yard plus 300 equals 1/2 of 17 miles ??????

>This hunt DOES NOT equate
>to any other hunt in
>the COUNTRY.

no one said the hunt was hard. nor equal to any other hunt in the state.

and todays count as far as what was seen on the island. 5 bucks over 24, over 50 does, 14 coyotes, a dozen antelope, and a porcupine in a russian olive tree. "I MUST BE BLIND!"

I haven't seen one post trying to sell this particular hunt as hard or difficult.

That said, if you are for outlawing hunting on this island, just say so and be done with it. Otherwise why run it down to make your own brand of the "right way to hunt" the only way.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Come on Hossblur, no you are exadurating. I spent about 80 days on the island this year, and never saw more than three true 30 inch bucks in a day. Only saw 2 yesterday. I can only think of 8 or 9 that I saw all year that I know are over 30. I'm sure there are a dozen or more there, but I'd bet you a steak dinner that if you and I went out together 10 times, with the both of us glassing all day, we wouldn't see 6 30 inch bucks on any of those days.

And I am not trying to sell this as just another hunt. Don't know why you keep saying that.

Yelum

All that have had a hand in this fiasco, I am glad you posed for a group photo.
5545clowns.jpg

Down with the clowns.

Now would some real hunters post some pics so I can congratulate them.
Best,
Jerry

I hope the island does a post hunt pickup. Assuming he was out there for a day I'd like to find his scat piles and recover the Benjamin's this Guy wipes with.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

The blame lies not with Denny or MB but with the DWR. It is what it is and as long as these types of hunts are made available there will always be men like Denny and services like MB that will benefit. Nothing wrong with that. Perhaps lobbying SLC to change these types of hunts is the way to go instead of trashing Denny and MB.

Eldorado

So with that logic I guess it is all right to use hookers in areas they are legal. You wife shouldn't have a problem with that right?

The problem is the money guys have no standards and will basically F### anything that they can. The pimp is there every year with his logo on the pics. They have some serious issues. You can blame all, the hunter, the guide and the DWR.

IMO,
If these hunters truly cared so much about mule deer like we are lead to believe, then they should be willing to cut a big check without getting anything in return. When we give to other causes, such as starving childern, we don't require something for our money. We just give because it is the right thing to do. These men are not outstanding because they give back to mule deer. The only reason they give is because they are buying something plain and simple.

What a bunch of whiners! This hunt aint any harder than the henry mtns and all you fools would be glad for that tag.

Its more hunting opportunity for this state and you whine.

Get over it

who farted?

>What a bunch of whiners! This
>hunt aint any harder than
>the henry mtns and all
>you fools would be glad
>for that tag.
>
>Its more hunting opportunity for this
>state and you whine.
>
>Get over it

+1000

I'm sure BCBoy wouldn't mind cutting a check for that kind of money and expect nothing in return.
Put your money were your mouth is or are you just flapping your gums like always.

Eldorado

Eldo,
When you give to the Cancer Foundation, do you expect they give ya back something in return? When you grow a stash for Movember and give money for Prostate Cancer Research, do you expect them to give you something in return of your donation? The rich have always played the Tax thing when it comes to donations. You can't tell me that a simple large donation to one of the many wildlife nonprofits out there that they can't just accept the tax receit and feel good about the donation??? But in this day and age of pimping out tags, suddenly the rich need to GET something more for their donations. That something is a big buck hanging on the wall. The very buck that is strong and healthy that should be left for the benefit of the herd on that Island. But, nope, we gotta whack him, take a bunch of pics and pat ourselves on the back that we are king $hit hunters and we just saved the Island. The outfitter is there all the time. His posse comes on here and bashes the bashers, but after years of doing it, you begin to think that the guy loves negative exposer. Any press is good press right?

>Come on Hossblur, no you are
>exadurating. I spent about
>80 days on the island
>this year, and never saw
>more than three true 30
>inch bucks in a day.
> Only saw 2 yesterday.
> I can only think
>of 8 or 9 that
>I saw all year that
>I know are over 30.
> I'm sure there are
>a dozen or more there,
>but I'd bet you a
>steak dinner that if you
>and I went out together
>10 times, with the both
>of us glassing all day,
>we wouldn't see 6 30
>inch bucks on any of
>those days.
>
>And I am not trying to
>sell this as just another
>hunt. Don't know why
>you keep saying that.
>
>Yelum

My friend, I hope you understand I hold no grudge against you personally. The fact that you can sit on a paved road and scope 6 30" bucks pretty much backs my point. I am not some bleeding heart hippie, the elk that I blew his heart out the side of his chest doesn't think so, so this isn't that. It also isn't some tirade against Doyle or Denny, other than shear amazment that a M.D. is dumb enough to pay someone to "guide" antelope island. My problem with this hunt has been consistent since it was proposed. This is a game preserve, flat out. Yeah I know they hunted bison before. I as a hunter think there should be places that are off limits, SORRY, I like yellowstone, I like the rest areas in the swamp, I don't have to shoot every dang animal that walks at every chance I get. I am SICKENED by the influence that SFW has with the State legis. and DWR and lets face it, that is how that "hunt" came about. I AM NOT A KILLER, I actually believe in conservation, which simply means that some critters need to live. I love to watch these deer, antelope, sheep, coyotes, out there(i think the bison are so domesticated that cattle on the mtns laugh at them). This simply makes my passion, hunting, look like blood lust. It makes us look like blood thirsty killers whos only desire is the big ##### contest contained in the record books. As a side note, Denny kills a lot of big game, he must eat a lot of red meat huh? My friend Yelum, quite simply, we have to draw lines or else there are none, and this is wrong.
As to me wanting to outlaw the hunt, yup, it should have never come about. As for me helping the antis argument, get real, Denny is the poster child for killing just to kill.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-17-12 AT 10:13PM (MST)[p]I have no idea how denny can look at his "trophy" room and be proud...Would i be buying tags and hunting my azz off if i had his money? sure would, but i wouldnt be paying someone to do the hunt part for me.

denny is a trigger puller, plain and simple.

>Eldo,
>When you give to the Cancer
>Foundation, do you expect they
>give ya back something in
>return? When you grow a
>stash for Movember and give
>money for Prostate Cancer Research,
>do you expect them to
>give you something in return
>of your donation? The rich
>have always played the Tax
>thing when it comes to
>donations. You can't tell me
>that a simple large donation
>to one of the many
>wildlife nonprofits out there that
>they can't just accept the
>tax receit and feel good
>about the donation??? But in
>this day and age of
>pimping out tags, suddenly the
>rich need to GET something
>more for their donations. That
>something is a big buck
>hanging on the wall. The
>very buck that is strong
>and healthy that should be
>left for the benefit of
>the herd on that Island.
>But, nope, we gotta whack
>him, take a bunch of
>pics and pat ourselves on
>the back that we are
>king $hit hunters and we
>just saved the Island. The
>outfitter is there all the
>time. His posse comes on
>here and bashes the bashers,
>but after years of doing
>it, you begin to think
>that the guy loves negative
>exposer. Any press is good
>press right?

When you give to the cancer fund you expect results to help cure cancer, When you give money for ANYTHING you expect a return...that's why we have money! Or am I missing something? If money is so useless to you, why don't you give me a bunch...I don't expect to give you anything in return either!

Traditional >>>------->

>LAST EDITED ON Nov-17-12
>AT 10:13?PM (MST)

>
>I have no idea how denny
>can look at his "trophy"
>room and be proud...Would i
>be buying tags and hunting
>my azz off if i
>had his money? sure would,
>but i wouldnt be paying
>someone to do the hunt
>part for me.
>
>denny is a trigger puller, plain
>and simple.

AH!.......There it is!

Maybe what is right for you isn't so important to someone else. Someone else may have a different outlook on life than you do. Wouldn't that be odd?

You may be confusing "pride" with "bragging rights".

Personally, I take pride in the lifestyle I have provided for my family.
I take pride in the type of citizens my children have grown into.
I take pride in many things.......but I don't think that the dead chit I have accumulated are such great accomplishments that I actually take pride in them.
They are memories in a 3 dimensional photograph....of sorts.

Your attitude is EXACTLY where the shrinks get the "hunters have short peckers" theory.

"I could agree with you, but then we would both be
wrong......and stupid"

>>LAST EDITED ON Nov-17-12
>>AT 10:13?PM (MST)

>>
>>I have no idea how denny
>>can look at his "trophy"
>>room and be proud...Would i
>>be buying tags and hunting
>>my azz off if i
>>had his money? sure would,
>>but i wouldnt be paying
>>someone to do the hunt
>>part for me.
>>
>>denny is a trigger puller, plain
>>and simple.
>
>AH!.......There it is!
>
>Maybe what is right for you
>isn't so important to someone
>else. Someone else may have
>a different outlook on life
>than you do. Wouldn't that
>be odd?
>
>You may be confusing "pride" with
>"bragging rights".
>
>Personally, I take pride in the
>lifestyle I have provided for
>my family.
> I take pride in the
>type of citizens my children
>have grown into.
>I take pride in many things.......but
>I don't think that the
>dead chit I have accumulated
>are such great accomplishments that
>I actually take pride in
>them.
>They are memories in a 3
>dimensional photograph....of sorts.
>
> Your attitude is EXACTLY where
>the shrinks get the "hunters
>have short peckers" theory.
>
>
>"I could agree with you, but
>then we would both be
>
>wrong......and stupid"

So nickman- you say "hunters" have short peckers??
Hmmm- Guess that would mean lazy arse shooters must have a gash then.
Obviously the posting of pics of a little man next to a big tame critter gets your (juices) flowing.
Does he post it on Mossback and all over the net and try to enter them all into B&C because he in fact has (no) pride or bragging rights?
Actually your right he has zero pride and zero bragging rights.
I finally agree with you on something.

I can also see how you have zero sense of accomplishment when you shoot something. "Dead chit" doesn't mean anything to you?
Thats your fricken problem ...You have zero respect for the animal you shoot and no thanks to even the lord above for the experience.
I think others now see you for who you are.

Myself, I respect and am thankful for the quarry I hunt whether I am succesful or not. It is the experience and getting out in the wild that matters most.
I thank god and the animal for the opportunity and do in fact take pride in how hard I worked to earn the rewards of what I end up with.
I also eat the animal and cherish the food it provides my family over the year as much or more so than the antlers on the wall.

These hero's of yours on the other hand shoot literally dozens or more animals in a year with the sole thought of bragging and only the antlers matter.

Sure thay may dress up there look and say they send it to the meat packer and distribute it to needy family's to try and garner favor. Yet I bet like hell after the 5-24hr photo shoot and that critter has a bitter flavor..(A poet and didn't know it)
Hey check out my tame buck I shot isn't he a stud? Blasted him with my 300 mag next to his buddy staring at me like I was Elmer Fudd.
That rack will look great on the wall next to Donner and Blitzen!..Yet still cannot yet understand why I still got a gash just like Vixen.
The End.LOL

LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-12 AT 02:57AM (MST)[p]Maybe I have a little more insight on the guy on which i make my opinion nickman..he dont GAF what you or I think, and I dont GAF what you think, it was an opinion.

Furthermore, its a message board..Not the place we come to mind our own business. I'm sure sorry that i represent all thats wrong in the world these days.

OK.....My bad! I should have remembered that the term "reading comprehension" is pretty much NOT a skill widely practiced, nor highly valued, on THIS site.

I shall type slower from here on.

wrong......and stupid"

LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-12 AT 11:02AM (MST)[p]>Denny Austed, 271" 36" wide!!! Get
>yer popcorn this is gonna
>get good!
>
3611685B-3F31-4720-A0ED-8E741D9C1ED0-433-0000001E53713361.jpg

>
>
>Traditional >>>------->

MuleDeerBuckGR1-L.jpg

Maybe the same buck only obviously in his younger years... look at the left ear?

You give to see results? Many Cancers are years away from a cure. Should I ask for my money back??? Based on your reasoning, the results of giving to wildlife orgs would be habitat enhancement, transplants, and increased wildlife health. Why do ya need to get the bonus of taking the best genetics out of the herd because you donated????

BCBoy,

I'm sure Denny and others like him have given generously in the past to wildlife causes without expecting anything in return and will probably continue to do so in the future. But to expect him to pay and simply walk away is unfair to Denny and to any other hunter owing a high priced tag.
The issue as I see it is not with the hunter who has the means but with the types of hunts states are setting up in order to bring in mega bucks. The incentive obviously being the best buck, bull, or ram. This situation will continue unless enough hunters and sportsmen are willing to lobby for changes to these types of high priced hunts. This could prove difficult and divisive in the end.

Eldorado

LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-12 AT 08:41PM (MST)[p]I agree that the only way to change this is for hunters to lobby against these kind of hunts. Thus the reason you see so many negative posts here in MM land. It takes hunters to say enough is enough. I believe it also takes the rich dudes to say the same thing. A little peer pressure from the rich crowd saying, yea, this hunt is more than pathetic and you could see the price fall well below what makes sense to the agencies who hand these tags out. It also will take some of the big name outfitters to finally decide the cash they receive isn't worth the negative backlash towards them. It was said on here several years ago that Mossback was done guiding Gov Tags and then the next year, they are at it again.

There's no way that the holder of a high priced tag will be dissuaded from punching that tag or expect a guiding service not to make a living. It's simply unrealistic and just plain wrong.

Eldorado

WOW Southern, DWR would not be here without the $ that sportsman put into the system. I'm not referring solely to these high dollar auction tags that I will never have the resources to purchase. I'm referring to all the hunters that purchase licenses and tags , and in a lot of cases just preference points, because we rarely get drawn. Teddy Roosevelt mentioned a long time ago that if it weren't for the sportsman's money there would be no wildlife left to view or hunt. The DWR is part of the government/bureaucratic system and we can see what a great job they have done for the wildlife numbers in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming where the Canadian Gray Wolves were introduced to satisfy the dreams of a small number of people, most of whom don't live in these states.

>Congratulations Denny! I look forward
>to hearing the story when
>I see you in Idaho.
>
>--Bob

Well here it is:

See Bob I decided that hunting the henries was just too dirty and tough so I needed to find a place that I could pull a trigger and not have to walk more than 3 feet off a road. I then bought the tag on AI. I called my old buddy Doyle and told him what I did. Doyle said he had been on the island the year previous and it was a sad excuse for a hunt, but I reminded Doyle that I pretty much own him so he begrudgingly came along.
We set up base camp(the garden Hilton in Layton) and began scouting this summer. It was tough, we had to wait for the 5 trucks in front of us to pull away so we could scout the deer from where they were parked. After hard scouting that one weekend this summer I felt confident I could get myself a good picture(i mean deer).
I couldn't wait. I told Doyle to keep looking on the island for more bucks near the road. He told me of a few that were on the south of the island, but I might have to walk down a level trail perhaps a mile. I told him to contact THE DON and have him tell the State I could write a bigger check if they would let me ride out there. You see Bob, I feel that having the island closed off, getting a 5 day head start, and hunting the heart of the rut just didn't give me enough value for what I spent. Before I got the States answer, Doyle called and said he had this buck rutting out at the ranch, but that he would be ashamed to have to chase a deer off the front porch of the ranch house just to have someone shoot it, again I asked how he liked his home that I paid for, and that was that.
I flew into the Ogden airport and Doyle picked me up. We again returned to base camp(Garden Hilton) and had some grub(Tepanyakis). We hit the sack early(thank god for turndown service, i was too exhausted to deal with that chore). Up early(8 ish) and a quick sheep hearder breakfast(Mimis) then the trek begain. I told Doyle that if he didn't quit lifting his trucks making it so hard to climb in I would be forced to buy him a new one.
Off we went, along the way I saw all sorts of peasants in camo walking out of the swamp with shotguns. I didn't know that people still did that, don't they know the Million Dollar Club has airboats and sink blinds? Why are they walking? Anyway we finally reached the ranch and I dispatched Doyle to push that buck off the front porch into the field so I could shoot him. Boy it was cold that morning, sure am glad Doyle left the truck running so I could have heat. But again, that dang lifted truck of Doyles, I had to climb down all by myself!! After standing around waiting for Doyle to get out my gun, set up my sticks, and load the rifle I was ready for my shot. Luckily we were wearing camo, because that old buck might have seen us while he was mounting does. BOOM, what a shot, at 50yrds i was concerned with the distance, but I had to chance it. I broke a smile, for some reason Doyle just looked down shaking his head. I HAD TO CLIMB BACK IN THAT BIG TRUCK OF DOYLES, I swear next week I am getting him a new truck! Anyway, I had to turn the heater up, it was cold watching Doyle go out and drag that deer back to the truck. After spinning him around so we didn't get the road or ranch house in the pic, I AGAIN had to climb down out of that truck. Doyle helped me put on my coat and I posed for the money shot! I told Doyle to take care of that, and waited patiently in the truck while he gutted it, and loaded it in the truck. I instructed Doyle to donate the meat to those poor people we saw in camo with shotguns. You see Bob, I am a generous man, I had just saved this island, and now I was going to feed the hungry(like I would eat wild meat, GET REAL!!). I told Doyle to drive fast, I could be at the airport by noon, and home for the wine tasting at 5. Boy Bob, what a hunt! I was exhausted!! I don't know if I will have the energy to call Doyle and have him start scouting for our hunt next week. You have no idea how exhausting it is answering the phone as Doyle lives on the mountain finding me quality animals to shoot. Oh no Bob, I don't think Doyle cleaned my gun, now I will need a new one. Work, work, work, I swear I never get any rest!

Hossblur, no comment can be made here to match your close minded stupidity. You resort to fifth grate name calling when you disagree with someone. Sure this is a forum and you are free to state your opinion but have some respect and grow up! "I've hunted almost every day of my life, The rest have been wasted"

>Hossblur, no comment can be made
>here to match your close
>minded stupidity. You resort to
>fifth grate name calling when
>you disagree with someone. Sure
>this is a forum and
>you are free to state
>your opinion but have some
>respect and grow up! "I've
>hunted almost every day of
>my life, The rest have
>been wasted"

Yeah, calling Dr. Austad, Denny is name calling shouldn't do that. In the future should I refer to Doyle as Mr. Moss? As for THE DON, I just assummed he was like THE DONALD, or Maddona, or any other one name celebrity.
As for being out of line, I have yet to hear anyone going out on the island and NOT seeing trophy animals from the road so I am not that far off. As for the eating at Tepanyakis, Mr. Moss and Dr. Austad were there, and were offering to set up my friends with drinks and were cool guys to them.
As for Mr. Moss out hunting while Dr. Austad is home, find the Spider Bull video from Mossback on Youtube. Mr. Moss talks about how Dr. Austad was with them MOST of the hunt. Not sure about you, but when I hunt I am there 100% of the time, or I am not hunting. Again, COME TO THE ISLAND!! See it for yourself. On the way out you will pass Diamonds Pheasant farm. I intend on shooting birds out there this winter, technically it will be hunting, but by no means is it the same as hunting wild birds out in a field, this hunt is no different! Sorry that your so into hero worship that both Mr. Moss, and Dr. Austad are above ridicule. Like has been said, a picture is worth a thousand words, and the pic of the public hunter with Mr. Moss in the background with the look on his face pretty much sums it up!

COME TO THE ISLAND!!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-19-12 AT 01:46PM (MST)[p]Your mouth. It's like a cows a$$. It just won't stop spewing

Perhaps Yelum you and I should just fight and get it over with? We disagree on some stuff obviously we should hate each other? Perhaps a ladder match like the WWE? PM sent.

Ok ok, I'll stop my arguing. It's all for a good sense of entertainment anyway lol "I've hunted almost every day of my life, The rest have been wasted"

I wish all you guys against Doyle, Colorado, money, and success would stop putting in for this tag so I could draw. Take your liberal Ideas and go to Obama country. The world has a right to turn, stop hating the rich, successful, or lucky. "It is not fair they did it" or "I can't so why should they" is what all I hear. Get off your envious or jealous horse and deal with it. They found a way to take full advantage of the state park and it is a wonderful for the whole program. Doyle and Colorado found a way to make a living doing what they love and anyone can't blame them for that. Nice buck to all and congrats to everyone involved.

P.S. nobody wants you to fail at your job or success except "liberals"

LAST EDITED ON Nov-20-12 AT 04:42AM (MST)[p]These practical objections have a lot of force - but so does the objection on principle. Teddy Roosevelt, after all, thought the canned hunt unsportsmanlike, and left as a legacy of that opinion the teddy bear. Hunting is supposed to be real; hunting trophies are only as meaningful as the hunt they symbolize.

A cartoon from The Washington Post shows TR refusing to shoot a captive bear while on a bear hunt in 1902.
Link-
http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/brainiac/2010/12/real_hunters_do.html?s_campaign=8315

I wonder if Mr. Austed really gets that much joy from the monster elk and deer he shoots every single year with a tag that most could never afford and allows him to hunt when everyone else can't? It would be awesome to kill a deer like that one or a Spider Bull but when it is pretty much a given that you will get one like it every year, I think it would lose some of its luster. Not hating, just wondering whether Mr. Austed is really enjoying all these hunts as much as the average joe would.

NRA Life Member

Leftys are the only ones in their right minds--and I ain't talkin' politics!

Hossblur, that is hilarious!! I think I'm going to print your little story out and read it every year the night before the antelope island hunt opens. Nice job!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-12 AT 05:35PM (MST)[p]Didn't realize there was a thread with pictures before my last post. I am reposting from a different thread. enjoy.....

GREAT BUCK he shot, no other way to see it than that. I know he was a very proud man sitting there, but I personally feel that there is a hole left in a sportsman that uses his money to fill a tag like that, and knows it was not because he put in the hard work and effort. That hole can only be filled by another "governs tag" and another boughten trophy. It is a dangerous thing for a man to lose sight of why he felt so much pride back in the day after killing a great trophy on public land after sometimes years of hard work. That is what got him back the next year, not the size of the rack itself. I believe the guys name was Denny who shot that buck on AI, and although I bet he loves telling that story of that buck, I bet that buck was low down the list of the great trophies of his life though. Probably some 170" muley he caught up to with a couple buddies of his while hunting back in the day. Something like a deer he ran into after 5 or 6 long hot days with little deer and too many other hunters to count, to finally spot an old great deer in the distance and making it happen.

I was lucky enough to take the best deer of my life this year on public land, and as I know I will likely pay for a land owner tag some day, and probably pay for a guided hunt some day and shoot bigger, I know that this deer (Double D as I call him), will be the story I talk about the most. My success was due to a great friend, determination and hard work, not my check book. Although this may be some jealousy talking, I feel a little sorry for this guy, as the hole left behind by putting a price tag on what he probably considered his greatest passion in life. Once you put your true passions in life up for sale, can you really call it a passion after that.

On that note, a big shoutout to MrDoe for bringing his wicked "deer glassing eyes" with him a few weeks back.

@ TheKnack - You are right, this world would not have the Teddy Bear if Teddy had been successful on everyone of his bear hunts. As the story goes, he came back to the Hotel Colorado after a long trip in the field with no success, as he stayed in the Presidential suite the night before he left, the hotel staff had made him a stuffed bear for him to take with him, so he didn't leave empty handed........and so goes the Teddy Bear for the rest of us. From what I have read of the man, he was a great one, and would be embarrassed by what some people consider hunting these days.

Im not trying to take a Jab or put down your post by any means. But.....
He's an older gentelmen.... What else do you want him to do? He can pay somebody to help him do what he loves to do. How great is that?

>I wish all you guys against
>Doyle, Colorado, money, and success
>would stop putting in for
>this tag so I could
>draw. Take your liberal Ideas
>and go to Obama country.
>The world has a right
>to turn, stop hating the
>rich, successful, or lucky. "It
>is not fair they did
>it" or "I can't so
>why should they" is what
>all I hear. Get off
>your envious or jealous horse
>and deal with it. They
>found a way to take
>full advantage of the state
>park and it is a
>wonderful for the whole program.
>Doyle and Colorado found a
>way to make a living
>doing what they love and
>anyone can't blame them for
>that. Nice buck to all
>and congrats to everyone involved.
>
>
>P.S. nobody wants you to fail
>at your job or success
>except "liberals"

+1 for Me!
Great Job for all involved.

"He is an older gentlman, he can pay somebody to help him do what he loves to do", Man I miss Anna Nicole Smith! Yeah guess my 72 year old uncle, and 70 yr old friend, and 68 year old uncle that treked all over the Manti with us this year just don't get it!! Too bad Denny is involved, because this post isn't about him, its about how sad this hunt is whether Denny bought it or anyone else, its a sad excuse for a hunt.

>Im not trying to take a
>Jab or put down your
>post by any means. But.....
>
>He's an older gentelmen.... What else
>do you want him to
>do? He can pay somebody
>to help him do what
>he loves to do. How
>great is that?

I find it low and I have no respect for people that hunt like that and glorify it. Even worse are the ones that think its so neat someone can 'buy off' a trophy.
DIY on Public land hunters are the ones I respect and give my support to. They EARNED it.

I wonder if Denny went out scouting all summer with his trail cameras, viewed all the pictures on his computer and TV, decided which buck was the biggest, loaded up his binos, and spotting scope so he could see for miles, jumped in his four wheel drive truck, went as far as the road would take him, got on his four wheeler, picked up his gun,got his rest set up, dialed the scope to 1000 yards, checked the wind direction and speed, and calmly shot his buck that was still thinking that he had the mountian to himself. Just thinking. So much of his hunt, or so many of our hunts, have taken away the advantage that the deer once had. Not judging, so much as just wondering. And where will it be in the next few years.

Nice buck

........."advantage that the deer once had"........and just exactly, at what point in mans' existence, did the deer have an advantage?

wrong......and stupid"

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.

Too many long winded posts over a dead deer. If you don't like the hunt, than spend your time getting where you need to be to make the RIGHT decisions for our state instead of plopping your butt in front of the computer and crying through your fingertips.

>BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.
>
>Too many long winded posts over
>a dead deer. If
>you don't like the hunt,
>than spend your time getting
>where you need to be
>to make the RIGHT decisions
>for our state instead of
>plopping your butt in front
>of the computer and crying
>through your fingertips.

As opposed to what your doing?? *shrugs* ok...? I dont inhabit Utah.. yet, but if I did I would be speaking up. Since I dont, all I can do is keep that out of my state and share my point of view on the hunt. Is that ok?

I just hope all these rants runs the price down on this tag next year. Hopefully it gets down to the rock bottom price of like $15.00, so I can snatch it up.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom