Antelope Island

Anyone get lucky and draw the Antelope Island shed hunt? I'd think there should be a good chunk of whites there but it probably gets picked over pretty good.

You would think there are a lot of sheds laying around (and there should be) but a few have helped themselves to most of them out there and ruined it for those who abide by the rules. Most shed hunters will leave empty handed this year. I was a draw Hunter at the Island a few years ago and had access to the backcountry for 6 months to scout. There is a shed from my buck laying out there, but I did not draw for the shed hunt. I'd really like to be able to retrieve the shed. I'd pay up for someone's pass (or even use it for the last few hours of the day) buy the shed or trade it for another shed if someone can retrieve it. It's been sitting for a few years now and pretty crusty so it may just be an average shed to most.

You would think there are a lot of sheds laying around (and there should be) but a few have helped themselves to most of them out there and ruined it for those who abide by the rules. Most shed hunters will leave empty handed this year. I was a draw Hunter at the Island a few years ago and had access to the backcountry for 6 months to scout. There is a shed from my buck laying out there, but I did not draw for the shed hunt. I'd really like to be able to retrieve the shed. I'd pay up for someone's pass (or even use it for the last few hours of the day) buy the shed or trade it for another shed if someone can retrieve it. It's been sitting for a few years now and pretty crusty so it may just be an average shed to most.
Were you allowed to collect sheds while your were scouting/hunting?

I am one of the “lucky” ones that got drawn. We will see how it goes. Not sure what to expect but either way it should be a good time. Hopefully will have something to share in a couple weeks.
Do you have some idea of where you are going? Would be worth a couple bike rides and hikes even if you have some idea where you want to go...

Do you have some idea of where you are going? Would be worth a couple bike rides and hikes even if you have some idea where you want to go...
I went out today but with the weather it was hard to stay very long. Hopefully I can get out at least one more time before the 16. I’m open to suggestions if you have any Feel free to message me.

There is a strict policy at Antleope Island that you cannot pick up any artifacts or natural resources of any kind in the backcountry of the Island.
Past Rumors, Keeper of the Island and his few select friends have the brown.

IMG_0844.png

Could we please see some pictures of your Buck

My son and I drew out. There will be antler to find. I did find the email that was sent a little odd.
“It has been three years since holding this event, so ideally, there should be plenty of sheds. If not, please know that it is not DNR staff who are out collecting those sheds. We have cited individuals in the past for illegal collection, and continue to watch for that happening.” 🤷‍♂️

My son and I drew out. There will be antler to find. I did find the email that was sent a little odd.
“It has been three years since holding this event, so ideally, there should be plenty of sheds. If not, please know that it is not DNR staff who are out collecting those sheds. We have cited individuals in the past for illegal collection, and continue to watch for that happening.” 🤷‍♂️
Well....how'd it go?

It was a cool experience but In my opinion it looked like someone had already been through and picked up a bunch. I seen a bunch of people that came down off the mtn with nothing and a few had found a couple. By far the best I seen in person was a guy that found a 30-32 inch deadhead that had some trash. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to get a picture. I did see that the mossback guys did ok but that’s no surprise at all.

I did not draw but was at the event. The Mossback team retrieved the left side shed from my buck I took during the 2020 season Through their generosity, I have the shed. Once they knew I was interested in the sheds, they spent a few hours of their shed hunt looking for the match but was not found. Can't say enough about what great people MB team are. If anyone knows of someone who hunted on the West side about a mile from the South end and picked up a decent crusty right side typical, would you please message me? Attached are photos of the shed from my buck that was retrieved.

IMG_6283.jpeg

There’s young guys in Utah making more money off there shed hunting Utube channels and enjoying themselves then most hard working people know
They're no different than OnlyFans girls. Making money off narcissism and public land while creating more regulation for those of us who do it for recreation. That's why I hope other states start banning NR's from shed hunting prior to May 1st. Utah hunters/shed hunters are single handedly ruining it.

They're no different than OnlyFans girls. Making money off narcissism and public land while creating more regulation for those of us who do it for recreation. That's why I hope other states start banning NR's from shed hunting prior to May 1st. Utah hunters/shed hunters are single handedly ruining it.
I didn't know Newberg lived in Utah? Weird...

Stfu

Jesus stfu! Hahaha so posting you want to keep NR out of your state till a specific time frame isnt entitlement? Then your going into playing the victim and Utahns are ruining it, but I’ve seen just as much locals in other states trash there lands! Jesus your just as much the narcissist! your no different than them only fans girls and gramers collecting free ride from our public resources!

Ummm, your own state is the one proposing a ban on NR shed hunters there guy.
No one said there aren't A-holes in every state but Utah "influencers" in general have caused other states to start implementing non resident seasons for shed hunting. Utah treats Nevada like it's backyard and comprise the vast majority of pressure on our wintering herds. Eastern NV barely has any people and those are mostly mine workers and ranchers. It takes longer for residents from Vegas and Reno to drive to elk units to shed hunt than the SLC throngs. All other western states look at Utah as a clown show when it comes to hunting. You're infecting other states and we want to protect our resources.
And I'll acknowledge what Bozeman, Ketchum, and Vegas "influencers" are doing to hunting. We long ago crossed the Rubicon of hunting videos "helping" hunting. Not a Newberg fan, but at least he's heavily involved in conservation and makes fun of shed hunters. 95% of guys filming their hunts nowadays are doing it for pure clout and/or sponsorship.

Last edited:
I never hear or see of anyone outside of Utah that is benefiting off of public land, that is limited to folks who reside in Utah. (That makes sense to me).

I guess my sarcasm wasn't fully understood.
To explain more; I don't really want to argue with guys like BGnight that are so focused on Utah being the root of all evil that I would prefer to send a sarcastic reply that reinforces how idiotic his statements are in bunching a group together based upon where they live. Funny how I drive down the road in Utah and see tons of Wyoming and Idaho plates, folks who need Utah to survive from a financial standpoint, it shows how interconnected we need to be to survive but when it comes to their state land - it is all Utah's fault! All states have good and bad hunters we should call them what they are based upon their actions not where they live.

To explain more; I don't really want to argue with guys like BGnight that are so focused on Utah being the root of all evil that I would prefer to send a sarcastic reply that reinforces how idiotic his statements are in bunching a group together based upon where they live. Funny how I drive down the road in Utah and see tons of Wyoming and Idaho plates, folks who need Utah to survive from a financial standpoint, it shows how interconnected we need to be to survive but when it comes to their state land - it is all Utah's fault! All states have good and bad hunters we should call them what they are based upon their actions not where they live.
Never claimed other states weren't part of the problem. Utah is the just the pack leader of all the "look at me!" YouTube ear tuckers. Definitely #1 in the influencer/hunter ratio across the west. And it's legit 90% Utah folks hunting our elk sheds here in Nevada. So hopefully we implement a NR season to keep ya'll in your own **** show.

Never claimed other states weren't part of the problem. Utah is the just the pack leader of all the "look at me!" YouTube ear tuckers. Definitely #1 in the influencer/hunter ratio across the west. And it's legit 90% Utah folks hunting our elk sheds here in Nevada. So hopefully we implement a NR season to keep ya'll in your own **** show.
I’ve never ever seen a shed restriction/season work. Guys will still tuck their earlobes into their hats and strap on the go pro and “hike” 365 days a year for YouTube content. Sorry but shed seasons only hurt the weekend warriors that obey the law/rules.

I’ve never ever seen a shed restriction/season work. Guys will still tuck their earlobes into their hats and strap on the go pro and “hike” 365 days a year for YouTube content. Sorry but shed seasons only hurt the weekend warriors that obey the law/rules.
You’re clueless then that’s for sure

Utah does have too many influencers no doubt and shed hunting has been so exploited as well as hunting. Way too much info is available and money is being made off of it. Wyoming is the biggest cry baby state though to call them the cowboy state doesn’t fit anymore. It’s the cryboy state as of now.
Last spring there was plenty of Wyoming plates at the Hennefer echo opener

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom