Most accurate GPS?

sneeky

Which GPS is the most accurate, or all they all about the same. I want to mark the corners and boundaries of a friends property and the more accurate the better. Thanks.
Todd

Any of the current GPS units are going to be the same as far as accuracy goes. I hope you're aware that hand held GPS receivers are not meant to be used for land surveying. Sure you can get a general location for property lines and corners, if you have a couple of known monuments in the ground already, but don't count on it if you're planning on building a fence or doing any other kinds of improvements. How much land are you talking about here?

In heavy trees or structure I would only hope for being about 100 ft accurate. If I would carry my antenna along, which is easy, cut that in half. Close, but not "accurate" as said above.

The most accurate GPS units are those that are of survey grade. Trimble makes them that can be differentially corrected to get sub centimeter accuracy. So not all GPS units are the same when it comes to accuracy. It just depends what you will be using it for and how many bucks you want to sell out. The Trimble runs about 10k last I checked.

Now having said that, accuracy all depends on how many channel receiver you have, most today have 12 and how many satellites you are locked into. In testing the above Trimble with a Garmin I was on my best days +/- about 4 feet.

Shawn

Shawn,
Did you mean to say you tested your Garmin with the more accurate Trimble? Is there a somewhere I could either buy a used surveyors GPS or rent one for a week? Thanks for the info.
Todd

If you think you're in need of survey grade GPS equipment you really may be better off hiring a land surveyor to do the job. I know it may be more expensive but in the long run it will be well worth it. The cost of moving fence won't be cheap either.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-20-06 AT 11:39AM (MST)[p]Todd--

Yes, I did test the Garmin with 2 different kinds of trimble units.

I don't know where you are from but yes, most states have a Trimble vendor that will rent these units. In Utah it is Monsen Engineering in SLC.

Shawn

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom