Most Memorable Campfire Ever

TripleK

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Oct-11-06 AT 11:53PM (MST)[p]Ok guys...if it's not politics you talk about at the campfire, what's the Most Memorable Campfire Ever at your hunting camp? My memories are all frome when I was a kid. I feel like my brothers and cousins and I all grew up out there in the Bookcliffs, and some of the best times of our lives happened around the campfire. My family has camped in the same place in the Books for years and years. We've got a 70+ year tradition of going out to the Bookcliffs to hunt(it's where my parents met...both their families hunted together...we mostly just go out for Thanksgiving now), and we've had so many campfires. So many good memories. I really, really miss those days.

Anyway, here are my favorite campfire memories:

The fire itself. Grandpa Ted always had to build a HUGE campfire at night. He always told us he was having a contest with some old boy clear across the canyon and he'd point out the flickering firelight of that guy's huge fire, so, we'd pile on more wood. We were always on the lookout for the perfect stump to burn to make such a huge fire, too.

Another favorite campfire memory: Listening to The World Series on the radio around the campfire. We always had a betting pool going too. Crisp, cool night air, a million stars above us, warm fire, good conversation, hot chocolate, and a sportscaster bringing us all the live action of the game on the radio crackling in the background.

I loved listening to my cousins call coyotes in close to camp. Talented boys with great voices and a knack for getting those yotes' into the flat just yards from the fire.

The night Grandma Sugar called a bull elk into camp. She was practicing with the elk bugle and she called that bad boy right into camp. He tore up a tree just 20 yards from the fire. Very cool. Kinda scary, but very, very cool.

#5! ha ha ha ha ha haha! What? You don't think it's funny? Well I sure do. That's one of the funniest jokes my Uncle Fred ever told around the campfire. He told it every year though and we all knew it by heart, so he finally just started hollering out "#5!" and we'd all just laugh and laugh. Uncle Fred's jokes got pretty raunchy, but they sure were funny and he had a million of em'.

Gibby- the schoolmaster. Oh good ol' Gib. He was a hoot. He, very much inebriated(sp? Ok..he was dam& drunk! lol), always told us kids he was our schoolmaster out there and he'd be having school for us in the morning and that we'd all better get to bed. A little while later we'd hear the inevitible crash as Gibby went down in the camper and his wife would scold him, "G*dd*mm*t GIB!". LOL We'd all have a good giggle about that. We knew he wasn't going to make it up in time for the morning hunt, let alone "school". We always did wonder just what ol' Gibby would've taught us though.

And I can't forget good ol' Aunt Rosalie's candy containers. It was always a treat to go to "upper camp" to visit my dad's family. (We camped with my mom's side of the family after the horse/vs. motorcycle fights began. We, being horse folk split camp and staked out a new place where we remain today). There was always a table full of food and candy at Upper Camp. One night my brother and I were enjoying Skittles from a cool little container. As he and I were going back for our 100th handful, we noticed the label on the Skittles container, "FRISKIES CAT FOOD". BLLEEEECH! We spit out those Skittles and didn't ask for anymore. Ever.

So many other memories. But these are some of the best. Gosh I miss the annual family get together out in the Bookcliffs.

Ok..your turn. Post your favorite campfire memories here.

We all were not around the campfire on this particular occasion but it's my most memorable campfire memory....

I had just come down right at dusk from a hard day of hiking the Idaho back country and was just approaching camp when I saw the most icredible sight in my life. My father had stayed in camp that day because he was tired and in the early stages of parkinsons desease. (It was to be his last hunt)As I came close to camp I noticed my dad was sitting next to a roaring fire asleep in a chair. I stopped and just stared at my father thinking how much I loved and adored him when I noticed a movement to my left. Standing in the creek not 20 feet from my sleeping father was a doe and twin yearling drinking!!!!. Here I am standing and looking in amazement at a picture that most people only see in a painting. I stood and stared at this scene for 3 to 4 minutes before I quitley whispered my dad's name. Of course the deer pegged me immediatly. I had to say my dad's name two or three times progressivly louder to get his attention until he finally awoke and looked at me. I pointed for him to look the deer's direction. It was one of those moments that will stay with me until I die. My father died 10 years later from parkinsons but is always with me in spirit.

Wow, thats a tough one. Kinda like "your most memorable kill" Theres something special and memorable about each.

I guess the most memorable campfire I have sat around was 18 years ago on a wilderness elk hunt. We ended up about 5 miles away from base camp at dark, and about 4000 ft above. We found some mushrooms to roast, had plenty of fire wood and I saw more stars in one night than I ever have (nothing to do with the mushrooms!). Beautiful fire, beutiful Big Montana sky. I took no pictures, they wouldnt have done the moment justice.

I have alot of great memories of small fires on my Muley Boivuak November hunts. I ussually sleep in the cliffs under an overhang or partial cave. I keep enough small stick close to where I can add them to the fire throughout the night. Keeps the frost off 1/2 of my sleeping bag at least.

Here is a couple pics of a recent memorable campfire on an Alaska hunt. Again, we were caught in the dark miles from camp in the rain. Got a good shelter built, stayed dry and even caught a few fish.

life IS good

452e45bb25dd6ef6.jpg

452e45e9265d888d.jpg

Great thread Jenn - but why not tell them about Aunt Rosalie's homemade cherry wine (not enough kick? - no problem - add some Everclear!) and Uncle Carl's Buckhorn can pyramid? How about the time that Skin got so drunk he passed out in the snow and almost got frostbite on his nose because nobody went to look for him and Mom almost kicked his butt for puking on the "patio". Oh - I'll never forget finding all the rocks to build that "patio" either.

Also you forgot to mention mom's Dutch Oven turkey, roasting rabbits in tinfoil, Tina catching her pants on fire, the "furniture", the Halloween stories, scaring the little boys down at the pond, Dad trying to remember all the words to "Mr. Shorty" every year, the smell of pinon and juniper waking you up and the crackling sound that put you to sleep and welcomed you back from the wash when you were too cold to play anymore.

Also don't forget the snowmen, the Christmas trees, the pumpkin cookies, Grandma Sugar's banana bread, the story about Grandma Mary and Aunt Etta and that "Monster 3-point" they hit in the antlers, Grandpa Bob falling asleep in his lawn chair, Grizz and Casey playing trucks in the dirt behind "Old Joe" (part of the furniture) and gathering all that "widow's wood".

You should probably also tell them about the time when we tried to do blue darts and how we would throw .22 shells in the fire and then run or how you, Brandy, Vikki and the little boys almost burned down C.B. Ridge when you decided to build your own campfire. Or how about the time Reed backed his trailer into the hanging tree and he melted down an old cooler top to replace the window he broke.

Maybe you could tell about some of the fights we had and how no matter what happened, whenever we came around that campfire, we forgot about them for a little while and knew that somehow everything would be alright and in the end we all forgave each other. Or how we felt accepted and wanted when we were there and it didn't matter who was cool or popular or how many friends we had because when we were around that campfire, we all were, and we knew we were safe. Yeah, maybe you should tell them that too.

Yeah - it's good to grow up around a campfire!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Triplek, You sound just like my family growing up in the bookcliffs. My family has been hunting the cliffs for 54 years. I remember when I was a kid how me and my cousins were like kids the night before christmas waiting to go out for the deer hunt. We still would rather be their than any place in the world. I just got back from there yesterday. My grandpa finally drew a rifle bull elk tag, and we spent two weeks out there hunting. I remember family, and friends every night meeting at the camp fire to discuss the day's events, and the stories the old timers told of previous hunts. We heard them a hundred times but they still never got old. My favorite memory also is when we would all pile in the camper for bed, my mom, dad, sister, and me would lay there all scrunched together to listen to the world series. We still go out their once a year and camp. We learned alot about life around those camp fires which I hope to pass on to my family. Its nice to hear how someone like you enjoys the thing I also enjoy more than anything in the world. Thanks, for the post it really struck up alot of memories. Also maybe you know my grandfather his name is Bob Taylor. He is the one who started are family tradition so long ago. One last thing we have camped in the same two places too, I would like to know about were you camped because we might have bumped into you sometime?

>>>>Another favorite campfire memory: Listening to The World Series on the radio around the campfire. We always had a betting pool going too. Crisp, cool night air, a million stars above us, warm fire, good conversation, hot chocolate, and a sportscaster bringing us all the live action of the game on the radio crackling in the background.

thats one of the things i look forward to every year :)

LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-06 AT 10:23AM (MST)[p]>Great thread Jenn - but why
>not tell them about Aunt
>Rosalie's homemade cherry wine (not
>enough kick? - no problem
> - add some Everclear!)

Yeah...I think that cherry wine was really gasoline. YUK! It made me puke. It almost killed Rusty one year, too. Apparently he's allergic to cherries.

>the Halloween stories,

Well *I* never got to go trick-or-treating out there. Only YOU were privileged enough to be out there during the week for that hunt. Jerk. The oldest always gets to do the fun stuff.

scaring the
>little boys down at the
>pond,

That was classic. That was the best spook alley ever built. The roof on that old cabin is caved in now, but the skulls we set on fire are still there.
>
>You should probably also tell them
>about the time when we
>tried to do blue darts

Uh...Roy...I have never in my life tried to light my farts on fire. I'm a GIRL and I don't fart. LOL You and Rusty are the idiots who tried that, but seriously, I don't remember you guys doing that. I did smoke cedar bark with you guys though.

>and how we would throw
>.22 shells in the fire

Yeah..I never did that either. Dad would've kicked a$$ if he'd seen that stunt. I must've been in the camper doing my hair or something less idiotic. Or maybe I was smoking cedar bark or starting my own campfire off in the distance.

>and then run or how
>you, Brandy, Vikki and the
>little boys almost burned down
>C.B. Ridge when you decided
>to build your own campfire.

I so did NOT almost burn anything down! I was making potions and roasting apples, ok? And then we built a fort over there so we could hide behind it and throw rocks at the motorcycle gang as they passed by and call them "DOE KILLERS!". Remember when one of them chased Grizz thru camp? hee hee hee

>Maybe you could tell about some
>of the fights we had
>and how no matter what
>happened, whenever we came around
>that campfire, we forgot about
>them for a little while
>and knew that somehow everything
>would be alright and in
>the end we all forgave
>each other.

You're high. I've still never forgiven you for some of those fights. I'm the little sister who holds a grudge forever, remember? You broke my doll's head off on Christmas morning, Roy!

Or how we
>felt accepted and wanted when
>we were there and it
>didn't matter who was cool
>or popular or how many
>friends we had because when
>we were around that campfire,
>we all were, and we
>knew we were safe. Yeah,
>maybe you should tell them
>that too.
>
Ok...ok....you have a point. All's forgiven. As long as you buy me a new doll. Oh yeah, and I have way more trophies than you do, and I always had more friends.

>Yeah - it's good to grow
>up around a campfire!

It sure is.

>Here I am standing
>and looking in amazement at
>a picture that most people
>only see in a painting.
>

Wow. That's a wonderful memory, kingfish. Made me tear up a bit, even. Thanks for sharing.

Jenn

My fire's bigger than YOURS

>We found some mushrooms to
>roast, had plenty of fire
>wood and I saw more
>stars in one night than
>I ever have (nothing to
>do with the mushrooms!).

ROFL!!

This picture surely doesn't do the fire justice and it's not a great shot because I had to scan it. And since it's a professionally framed and matted pic that hangs on my wall, I had to scan it IN the frame. That's why it's not too clear. But, it's a picture I have on my wall to remind me of all the best times of my life.

BookCliffsFire.jpg

We use to camp off wolfden where the sheep corals are. Now we camp off southem canyon. This year was a nightmare camping there we should have camped on Seep ridge towards the turn off to McCook ridge. It would take us 2-3 hours to drive one way to get up on the divide. We never have hunted that far in before. It was amazing to see so many elk, and deer. We haven't got a elk yet, and will be heading back there tomorrow. If your wondering why we are still hunting its because my grandpa is handicaped and gets to hunt a extra 30 days. We were seeing 15-20 bulls a day just couldn't get him close enough for a good shot. The bulls are still bugleing just not coming in range. He did get a shot at a nice 6 x 6 bull just didn't connect. The pond, and cabin you guys are talking it about is it down in canyon off the divide were they have a well. If it is we stopped and looked around and took pictures. I will post them up when I have a chance. This time we will be going south of oray to camp. Were they have some sites the boy scouts have made or taken care of. Man the bookcliffs sure got alot rain out there the roads were nasty.

One other thing, we are leaving tommorrow back out there for one more try. If you have a chance stop by, and swap stories with us at the camp fire. Kingfish your story really touched me. Thanks, for sharing.

Camps that the boy scouts have taken care of? Are you sure about that? Tell me whereabouts they are out South of Ouray...landmarks to get to them etc. I'm betting it wasn't Boy Scouts who made these camps.

On the divide I guess heading east it would be you pass the big communication tower, and the McCook ridge turn off. There are like two camp sites with wood poles that say project of boy scouts troop some number.

>On the divide I guess heading
>east it would be you
>pass the big communication tower,
>and the McCook ridge turn
>off. There are like two
>camp sites with wood poles
>that say project of boy
>scouts troop some number.

Oh yeah! Forgot about those places. I know where you're talking about now. I was questioning because some people I know made quite a campsite near Seep Ridge and there are still alot of remnants of their camp.

Have fun out there this weekend. I'm jealous as he**, but we're not planning a trip out there anytime soon. Not til' Thanksgiving. I can't wait for that and I hope it snows.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-06 AT 01:56PM (MST)[p]Campfire stories cool!
OK, I am 12 years old sleeping in our tent and get I wake up hearing a group of four camp squaters in their early twenties, who came in at 2:00 the morning of the opener, and woke up everything up within a mile radious, decided to camp within 100 feet of us when miles of open sites were available. Then they proceeded to drink them selves silly until first light, and head out to hunt. That night they came in to our camp, and my Uncle who was in his sixties at the time, an ex-proffesional hunter for Jones Bothers Taxadermy back in the fifties, politely asked, "if they had seen anything"?. The response from one of them was "no I did not see anything but I got off a few sound shots" At the time I did not understand what he ment. My Uncle just nodded then asked "what type of gun do you shoot?" His response was Model 70, with such snd such scope". My Uncle casually got up and walked over to there camp, picked up the guys rifle that was hanging fron his rearview mirror, and proceeded to break it in half against a tree. My Uncle then casually walked back to our camp and sat back down while we all stared at him wide eyed. Then my Uncle's best friend (I can't remember his name for the life of me) calmly says to the gun owner "I guess we will have no more of that behavior now will we"? They all stood there staring at my Uncle and his friend for a minute then left without a word. We did not hear much from them at all that night, and they left at first light. I had to get my Uncle's friend to explain what a sound shot was. These two never would tolerate unethical behavior. If you have seen the movie Second hand lions, they fit the two brothers to a tee, LOL.

The time when my buddy who was cleaning up in the tent, grabbed a bunch of stuff and dumped it in the fire. I noticed a wadded up bag in the fire and asked what that was he just threw in? He looks down, and totally feaks out yelling "run run, that was my bag of shells I accididently threw in"! We all scatter for the trees making our selves as small as possible. About 30 min. later, freezing our butts off, he crawls into the tent and realizes that was not his ammo bag. We stuck him with the KP duty for the rest of the trip. Pretty funny stuff ....Now, LOL

There are only two types of people - The Hunters and the hunted,
I hunt.
Alchase

I found out my cousin, a 20 year old blonde attractive female, had the unusual talent of being able to fart on queue. That was around a campfire with 20 other people hanging out. Definitely nothing that provoked deep thoughts, but it was pretty memorable.

About 4 years ago a good friend & I took our dads elk hunting. Both are life-long family friends. My dad took his first bull on opening morning. To see a 70 yr. old man act like a 16 yr. old that just got his first piece of a** - PRICELESS.
jdbfair

It wasn't a hunting trip but some sulfer & zinc can make a scout trip pretty interesting.

PAID2HUNT
THERE IS NOTHING BETTER THAN WATCHING THE SUNSET AFTER A DAY HUNTING OR FISHING.
www.huntn.biz/12851

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom