mountain east of I15 at Honeyville

S

southmountain

What is that tall beautiful mountain east of the interstate at Brigham City /Honeyville area? Is there good hunting there on the backside? I now spend alot of time in Utah and I must say I love it. Was out near Roosevelt on business and on a farm I visited next to the reservation has alot and I mean alot of game on it. The owner has many mounts they have killed the last few years of muleys but the lk have moved in on them in a big way latley. He said elk are otc is that true?He said get a tag and hunt Im welcome to have at it. What unit is that ? Thanks guys I really love your state and your secret is safe with me on the sheer beauty !!!!!!! Great people too .

Wellsville Mt east of Brigham City. Steep SOB. Limited but there is access both sides. Some F.S on top. Believe it or not that mt is considered one of the steepest in the US. considering base width and height! Rutnbuck

I'll take Rut's word on it!

If We can't get the PISSCUTTIN Rig up it,it's Too Steep!

Right Rut?

"""Supporting Speed Limits doesn't make You Anti Car"""

No & You'll never Fix STUPID or WACKO'S by changing Gun Laws You Dumb BITTCH!

Yup. Sidewampus Rats have been known to roll! And if the pisscuttin rig can't make it then nothing can.

Rutnbuck

Im talking way pout east on the OTC elk. What unit is it? West of Roosevevelt north of Duchene (sp)? While looking for the farm I was to visit I went to another farm to ask directions found out that was a farm owned by the Ute tribe. They dont take kindly to lost folks even if you tell em you know elkassasin!

The top of the wellsville's is actually wilderness. Most of the mountain itself is at least forest service on the west side but is mostly private up to the bottom of the mountain. There are several trailheads to access the forest though. Not sure on whats lower on the east side. As said before it is steep and that is almost an understatement. There are a few deer but you will have to work hard to find them somewhere you can even get to them.

Don't be afraid to live for fear of dieing.

North of Roosevelt and Duchesne is the south slope (and north slope if you walk long enough) of the Uintas. It is general elk hunting. Moderate number of elk, but the area is huge, and it can be difficult to find them. LOTS of hunters. There is also a LOT of Indian land on the south end of the unit, down in the valley - stay of that.

You keep asking about the unit. All OTC tags are the same "unit". You buy the any bull general tag and you can hunt all of the OTC areas.

For this advice, I expect you to take me with you :)

C86 I think you said what you ment but did you mean what you said? All OTC tags are either 1. OTC Any Bull units or 2.OTC Spike only units. A OTC any bull tag is no good in a spike unit and OTC Spike tags are not good in a Any bull unit. Rutnbuck

No need to fret elkass and Rut, because despite being an officially designated wilderness area, I've heard tale of guys taking their ski doo's to the top of the Wellsville Mountains east of Honeyville.....so getting your Sidewampus Rat up top the peak shouldn't be any trouble.

Born and raised in Honeyville. The tall mountain right at the Honeyville exit is the Wellsville Cone. You can hike up it from the Honeyville side if you go up Cold Water to the ridge. The trail is sparsely used and hard to find if you aren't familiar with it. You can go over to the Wellsville side and hike up from that side, there is a well marked trail.

That whole mountain was not wilderness when I was a kid and you could come up from Deweyville on to the ridge and drive a jeep south along the ridge to the north end of the big saddle right above Honeyville. They declared it all wilderness, even though it had roads in it, and that ended.

No elk that I have ever seen or heard of being seen/taken. Deer are up there, but not much of a herd, not like when I was a kid. The winter kill in the 80s did them in and they haven't really ever recovered.

sled_guy

Hey Sled guy what ever happened to the buck last year they called the BC Buck. Brigham City. I did get a chance to see him but that was the last i heard of him. And what about the chucker? I was a supervisor on the New Deweyville Water Tank and seen some then but none since.

Rutnbuck

I don't know on the buck, never heard.

The chuckers have suffered from predators, and not coyotes. All along from Brigham City to Collinston on the north up through Honeyville and Deweyville the skunks, racoons and even released domestic cats are brutal on the birds. I know a couple of guys along the Honeyville and south Deweyville area that spend just about every afternoon out shooting those critters. They have been doing it for the past 3-4 years and we've started to see the pheasants making a comeback.

But chuckers and partridge I haven't seen in the normal areas for a few years. There used to be a bunch of them, but not any more.

sled_guy

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom