Mountain lion

Young12

Quick question for everybody. I am back out hunting a general unit and this morning I saw a giant mountain lion on the hill chasing deer and sheep. Naturally I came back down into town and bought a lion control permit because they have them in the area I’m hunting. There are loads of deer in this area. Do you guys think the cat will stay in the same general area? Never hunted them and have no idea. Figured I would have a tag in my pocket just in case I can take a poke at it. Thanks in advance for any advise!

Find a kill. They will hang around them for a couple days. From what I’ve seen, an individual lion will spend a couple weeks somewhere, and then move along. It might be months before their loop brings them back.

In 47 years, with about 75-100 days a year on the mountain, I’ve encountered somewhere between 15-20 mountain lions. This was without hounds, just driving and walking. Of the 47 years, in the last ten years I’ve spent much less time on the mountain than the first 37 years So.... I’d say I’ve average seeing about 1 every other year.

For whatever that might be worth.

If you're hunting lions without hounds one really has to be in the right spot at the right time. I walked up on lions twice in the spring one on a deer kill the other an elk. Never seen the cats again in the area.

Lions have a pretty big range. I would say you would be somewhat lucky to see it again glassing but you never now. I have only seen 2 just out hunting and one of them was sitting on water. Seen multiple with hounds and they are beautiful animals. Trail cams I have set up have only captured lions every so often. Too bad you didn't have the tag in your pocket from the get go

Shoulda Had The Lion Tag already in Your Pocket!

Quick question for everybody. I am back out hunting a general unit and this morning I saw a giant mountain lion on the hill chasing deer and sheep. Naturally I came back down into town and bought a lion control permit because they have them in the area I’m hunting. There are loads of deer in this area. Do you guys think the cat will stay in the same general area? Never hunted them and have no idea. Figured I would have a tag in my pocket just in case I can take a poke at it. Thanks in advance for any advise!

Find a good observation point and watch the deer. If they know that cat is still around, the deer may give you an idea where they think it might be.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom