Mountain SS vs. Ultimate Shadow SS

need4x4

This should be a great topic of debate.

I like both these rifles. I like the 700 Mountain SS because it comes in 280 (and all it's other features). I like the 24 inch barrel on the 70 Ultimate shadow SS (and it's other features).

I think they have most of what I want, short of a custom job. Used custom jobs seem pricy and having one built seems over the top at this point in the game.

Either way, I'd shoot it for a long time. Then either would be great to rebarrel, and start a custom.

For hunting, I feel they would last a lifetime.

So, chime in with any thoughts on which is better. I am not sure the current 700 Mountain is even out, although I see some in 06.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-12 AT 09:14PM (MST)[p]There is one on gun broker for 2k. I have handled a ti model and the past, and they are sweet.

The cost is approaching just getting an action and buying a aftermarket barrel and stock and going that way.

The mountain ss is 6.5 lbs. If you have the cash, paying twice the price to shave off almost another pound (for the TI) is not a bad idea.

If I was going that light, I'd go to a short action and a lesser round like maybe the .260. The ti is so light, I'd go with a 260 if I was going to go that way. But, even 1500 is a large sum.

I am fine with the all up gun being around 8 lbs and having the 280 as the round. Paying the 1k for the gun and taking the money above that and trying to have the best glass.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-12 AT 11:11PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-12 AT 11:10?PM (MST)

The 1st Gen Ti rifles are nice but the cost of them these days is a bit too much. The new Mountain SS rifles seem pretty nice but I don't understand why Remington put them in that heavy stock and went BDL on them.

Another option for you and you would have as good or better rifle and weigh less it build a "faux Ti". Find a older LSS Mtn rifle and drop it in a Ti take-off, have the bolt Ti fluted by Kampfeld Customs and you can have a lightweight rifle for less money.

Here is a Mtn Guide rifle in .243 that is now a "faux Ti", all up with scope it weighs 6 lbs 10 ozs and shoot quite well for a light rifle with a skinny barrel:)
IMG_0598-1.jpg

The laminated stock on the SS Mountain really doesn't make a lot of sense, does it? You could re-stock it with a B&C Medalist Alaskan Ti. Don't the Remington Ti rifles use B&C stocks? mtmuley

>The laminated stock on the SS
>Mountain really doesn't make a
>lot of sense, does it?
>You could re-stock it with
>a B&C Medalist Alaskan Ti.
>Don't the Remington Ti rifles
>use B&C stocks? mtmuley

The new for 2012 Mtn Stainless is in a B&C stock similar to the Alaskan Ti stock - full bedding block and in BDL - which again makes no sense since those stocks weigh right at 30 ozs +/-.

I think as long as the action is perfect and it shoots well, that I am ok with the weight on the 700. I am even ok with the weight on the winchester given the two extra inches of barrel.

Now the question is, is the rem. going to be quality or not so much?

Guess you won't know about quality till you go handle the rifle. I like my Remingtons, and they all shoot and shoot well. Even my one J-lock rifle. Hell, it shoots the best. Sometimes the errornet isn't a good place to find what you want. mtmuley

I agree. Not easy in my city and state to just go for a drive and find stuff on a rack. The ti model remington that I was able to handle was on a rack in a different state. I don't see a long action version of the current mountain ss on the internet just yet. A couple of short actions on gun broker.

If any of you have either of these models from current stock, give us an update on all your thoughts on them.

Thanks

I think currently only the short actions are out, I've only seen .308's and most recently the 7mm08 out on Gunbroker but I've not seen any locally in any stores.

You ever consider the 7mm08?? With good bullets its an awesome caliber - in fact I have a KS Mtn rifle in .280 that I don't ever use anymore since drinking the 7mm08 Koolaid-laffin.
Might be a thought though??

I use a 300 wsm mostly. I think if I didn't face long shots every once in a while, the 7mm-08 is a fine choice.

I can see myself finally getting that great 425 shot in the wind on that day I take out a 7mm-08.

If you are good enough to just get closer, nothing wrong with that choice.

I dislike the recoil I have with the 300 wsm. My 280 weighs more than 9 lbs all up, so the recoil is not harsh.

It is always going to be a compromise.

+1 on the 280AI
+1 on the Kimber

I love my Rem 700 280AI. It shoots well with whatever i've put down the barrel including 1" 10 shot groups when fireforming cheap factory ammo for the brass. My 140 gr handload crony's 3250 FPS and they will touch if i do my job.

This though is with a custom 25" Match Grade #4 PacNor barrel. The gun sits around 9-10 pounds so it stays home a lot because so.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom