Moved to Arizona

R

Razaboo

Hi Guys,

The last time I posted I was in Oregon, now I have moved to Arizona. Anyone out there know anything about this state other than it is hot. I am living in the Tucson area and looking for fishing, and hunting oppurtunities for my kids and myself. Any info would be appreciated

Stan

Welcome to Arizona!! There are tons of hunting/fishing opportunities available. For starters, right now it is archery javalina/deer season untill the end of the month. You need to draw for the pigs but most of the southern part of the state can be hunted over the counter for deer. It's alot of fun to be able to hunt both at the same time. The Tucson area has some good muleys on the desert floor and mountain foothills, and the coues whitetail from the footills up to the tops of the "Sky Island" mtn. ranges. Catalinas,Galiuros etc... Always carry a lion tag as they are open year long and there are way too many down here. There is no closed season for coyotes and they are eating too many baby deer in some of the overgrazed portions of our state. Please kill as many as you can. Duck season is in full swing, theres also plenty of quail and rabbits to hunt. Check out the departments website on www.azgfd.com. Look under the unit by unit hunting reports icon and check out units 31-37 these are around Tucson. As far as fishing, theres good bass fishing on any of the lakes on the salt or verde river and awesome trout fishing in the white mountains. I don't do much fishing down by Tucson but last I heard there were trout stocked in parker canyon, riggs flat, and roper lakes down there.

I moved away 5 years ago...I don't know nut'N 'bout no fish'N. But, Arizona is a hunters paradise. Your question is sorta non-specific. Where do you like to hunt? Desert, pines, pinons, AZ has those and more. For birds, there are quail, doves (both w/in an hour of Tucson), sandhill cranes near Willcox and ducks over on the CO river.
I've hunted Coues in 36A, B & C and north of Douglas.
Mule Deer in the Kaibab and others.
Elk in 1, the unit to the west (2B?), and 8? south of Williams.
Those are some places to start.

Join a conservation group like Arizona Deer Association and make some new hunting buddies. I have learned alot from the people I talk to within the groups. There is alot for you to do chasing quail till february 14th or so which gives you an excuse to drive all over and look at the new areas. Do like these guys said, get to AZGFD website and read then go on some drives into the white mountains trout fishing and see what diversity AZ has in hunting terrain and big game opportunities. Since you like to fish, read up on the types of species the state has and you will be amazed. For trout type fishing, you have opportunities at species indiginous to AZ alone like Apache trout. You can hunt a whitetail subspecies that is only found in AZ, NM and Mexico, the coues deer. You can hunt antelope, elk, Monster Muleys, bear, javelina, three species of quail, buffalo, bighorns......Welcome to our great state.......holler if I can help......... Allen Taylor......

I have lived in AZ my hole life, there is nothing that I like more then to fish and hunt I live on the border of AZ and Utah hunt the north Kaibab and fish Lake Powell Will be back down your way on the 19th to do some more pig hunting for four days in unit 37a, drop me a email to talk about fishing and hunting and if you like to flyfish the river up here is the best in the State for record trout. [email protected]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom