Mr. Heater Big Buddy

lone_hunter

My wife got me a Big Buddy Heater. It is not recommended for use over 7,000 feet, I believe it is becaus it has an O2 sensor. Has anyone had problems with this heater at altitude? I will be at about 9,300.

I have used the small Mr. Buddy at 8000ft...some problems did occur. Once they were on they seem to have problems staying on, acted like they weren't getting propane or a line was clogged. Might be worth trying it hooked up to a 20lb bottle, don't bank on this being your only source of heat.

EWILT

They will work if your tent breathes well. They work great in my wall tent, but poorly in nylon ones. I like it alot.

I tried to use a new Mr. Buddy heater in a Cabelas Alakanak tent last fall at about 7000 feet. It would not stay lit for over an hour. I had it hooked to both a one pound cylinder and a 20 # tank with the same results. I finally gave up and slept cold. When I returned home to 1200 ft elevation, it worked fine. I bought a new woodstove for this fall. Small model from Cabelas. I wanted to use the propane heater to avoid having to cut and store fire wood while hunting. Three years ago we tried to use a Coleman powercat heater in the same tent. It didn't work either. I'm going back to wood.

Tim

>I didn't know they made one
>without...
>
>EWILT

They dont. The reason they shut off is because there is not enough 02 in the tent. You need to vent your tent better and they will work. If you are at high elevation then the 02 is thinner and they will shut down. They are great for 8000' and lower. For higher elevation's I would get a wood stove. I wouldnt use a propane heater in a tent that didnt have a low 02 shut off. I've read about too many hunters waking up dead from co2 poisining.
Brian

I AGREE!!!

BUT I'VE NEVER KNOWN ANYBODY TO WAKE UP DEAD!!!

THE ONLY bobcat!!!

Hey Guys,
Take that heater and toss it, we have always had problems with that brand- JUNK! We have found the solution- they cost between $75.00 to $125.00 depending on size. They are convection heaters that you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes.We use the 40,000 to 80,000 btu model and heat a 16x20 wall tent without a problem. We have been using this setup for years in elevations up to 10,000 ft. without any problems. You can control the amount of heat you want down to barely running or you can turn that baby up and it will run you out! They have a long hose so you can put the bottle outside of your tent and will usually take a 20lb botle for a 9 day trip depending on how much you need it.
No wood cutting, no mess and instant heat!
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

We had one a couple years ago and could not keep it running.
It would run ~an hour before it would go out.
It did not matter whether it was in or out of the tent.
I finally sent it back and got my money back.
neb

The one we use is a coleman power cat from Cabelas. It works great even has a little fan that you can turn on. We usually run it right before we hit the sack and again in the morning for ten to fifteen minutes before getting out of the sleeping bags. Makes a big difference puting on warm clothes in a warm tent. Best 70.00 bucks we ever spent. There is no senso either.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom