Mrs ktc's hunt clip

very cool....she clobbered him. Congrats again Chris.

Poor zigger won't sleep tonite if he sees this....he is sensitive to goat rolls

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Excellent shot! He just went immediately down. Boy that's exciting. Tell Chris congrats on a great hunt.

Did you see any other goat hunters down there?

That Barbie is a killing machine! Very cool!:)

Eel

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

great job! great video ..I can see the bullit fly and hit!
barbi's hot!
4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

That is what I couldn't figure out. We watched two of them for at least 30 minutes and they constantly appeared to be grazing. I never seen one bit of any vegitation while I was going thru the shale getting down to the bottom.

Where I have been hunting and the goats are up in nothing but rock I have noticed that there are small patches of vegetation and moss that they feed on and sometimes scrap lichens off the rocks. Usually this isn't visible to the naked eye unless you are right on top of it. Although I don't know about down there and Rick was right on top of it. Any lichens on the rocks down there?

We were talking about what they were eating while we were skinning him out and lichens were mentioned. I was too busy trying to keep my head pointed up and my feet pointed down as I tried to get to the bottom in once piece, to look very close, but the shale was deep enough that I'm sure there was no plants growing thru it.
It is kind of sad that I have lived this close to these amazing animals all my life and the first time I ever seen them up there was a couple of weeks ago.
It will not be my last trip up there, but I won't be walking off that shale hill anytime soon!!!!!!

Now that was pretty nice. And it does look like the air gets thin up there.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Awesome video and great shot. Congrats to you all. Very nice.

I think they eat a lot of lichens. Were his teeth worn way down in the front? They usually are and one biologist told us their teeth being worn off that is what leads to a lot of them dying in their old age. Otherwise they might live a long, long time.

Awesome Video! That was a great shot! Did it ruin his cape anywhere while he was rolling down the moutnain?

Hunting is my way of life
Sgt. Petersen
USMC OIF OEF Vet.

A long wait for a short hunt. Good job Chris. Congrats on a beautiful trophy. Nice job on the camera work Rick. Thanks for sharing it with us. Now its time for Ty to smack a nice muley.

Yelum

Thx Yelum.. I wish I would have been over on the edge to get the full roll but I was glad I was right behind Chris as the vapor trail was awesome.

Great shot and a great goat. From the vid it looked like a textbook high shoulder shot. Is that where she hit him?

Hey Guys,

I have just got up for the day! That hurt this old fart. The shale was unbelievably deep. The goat rolled down almost even in elevation with the wheelers. I was glad it all worked out like it did. This mountain was holding a small group of billies so we knew we could get in and get it done. I was very glad Rick came down and went. As you know Rick had to give back his late father in laws elk tag so we invited him along to go on a hunt. Darwin and Dom Lay saved our bacon. Darwin did all the skinning and quartering, Dom helped, then that 16 year old grabbed everything and put it in his pack and headed to the wheelers. Darwin to the hind quarters. Talk about life savers! That kid has a great work ethic and just wanted to help us old guys!

She made a great shot as you can see. I was very surprised, but her goat and bull 2 years ago both died by a single shot through the vitals. The cape got kind of beat up and teeth busted out, but the horns made it. The one horn is chipped off on the end, but I think that was an old break. He scores just shy of 46" which is very respectable. He was with a young goat and he was easy to pass. Her goat met all requirements but one. He had one finger of width between his horns, a good beard, a good hump, and nuts. He was only lacking the roman nose. alp and swb, dont be nervous. A good billie is easy to spot. I was hoping for 45+ so it all worked out. Especially with all the good help around us.

What an experience. It sure makes a guy appreciate having his youth and health. Rick and I were toast. I honestly dont think I could have went the next day. We did not see any other goat hunters. One truck pulled up in the area and bugled and left.

Thanks for that awesome video Rick! Luckily I forgot my spotting scope adapter so the tripod was useless to me, it fit Rick's camera perfect. Rick's son also offered to come help us out if needed. It is sure nice to know guys are willing to help. In fact, the whole crew was met thru MM and some point. Antler1 set me up with Darwin. Word on the street is Antler1 missed a 390 Saturday! Dale!?!?!?!

Congratulations Chris!! Looks like a trophy to me. Watching him roll down the mountain is scary and I already knew the outcome was good. Glad things all worked out, nice job.

Ty,Word in the street is mostly true. It was 381 and not 390.:) I need shooting lessons from Chris.

Thanks Dale! If not for you this would not have happened as well as it did. Darwin and his son were outstanding. He showed me where you live. I was looking for a truck with an elk rack but I never saw one? Anyway, thanks for your help also. It meant a lot to us.

Uh, 381? Does that mean you got a second chance and smoked 'em? I was sick when Darwin read your text message! So is your bull dead!?!?

LAST EDITED ON Sep-14-09 AT 08:59PM (MST)[p]So Dale....did you finally get him?

Paul Harvey us and give us the "rest of the story".

Like how you know it is 381?

Awesome clip! Man Ty, your wife can flat out shoot a rifle!! That dude was not broadside for a second and she dumped him! Great shot!!!

Ty, tell your wife congrats on the beautiful billy. I was just wondering what kinda gun she was shooting and how far was the shot? Man, she sure smoke that goat..again congrats on the sweet goat!!

snipersmilie.gif

one shot

oneshot,

She shot him with my Winchester M70 300WM. She likes that gun. She killed her 379 bull with it and now the billie. I ranged him at just over 400 so we moved closer. I ranged him again at 284, but he did move away a little, so I would say he was right about 290. I honestly thought she was going to miss. She killed both critters with one shot right in the boiler room. I was quite impressed. She settles down and makes it count.

Thanks again everyone for the nice words. She is following this and reading it also.

FROM MRS KTC:

I love reading all of these messages. I should get my own log on. Oh well. I really appreciate all the comments and congrats. I thought I would tell you all how I think I am able to make the good shots I make...I have no testosterone. :) I seem to be able to just stay calm as I'm holding on the animal. And, while I'm excited to get a good animal, I am so focused on placing the cross hairs and squeezing (not pulling) the trigger that I don't feel the pressure so much. It's a girl thing. :)

Chris

I will vouch for how calm Chris was during the whole 30-40 minutes that we watched these goats. I was sitting right behind her as you can see from the vapor trail on the clip. I knew she was pretty calm as the goat would turn, step broadside one step and then turn away from us, numerous times. She started joking about it saying "I could shoot it in the butt". I figured then that she was ready and calm to be able to joke around like that. I think I even heard Ty in the video tell her "no, don't do that"... He had stepped off to the side to get a better view so I don't know if he knew she was joking or not.
I know lots of guys that would have major flinch syndrome shooting a 300, but she was as steady as a rock. Once Ty had her set up with the bipod, she was pretty much on her own and took care of business.
Again, I am so happy I got to experience the hunt with them. I have never been on a goat hunt before, so it was an amazing experience.

Watching that video, it looked like she only had a split-second opportunity to make the kill zone shot, executed perfectly! Excellent hunting footage, you're right, the bullet vapor trail was cool! ... And major roll down the slope! Thanks for sharing your hunt!!

Ty-

Sweet gun...I have the same thing only chambered in a .270 WSM. Wouldn't trade that gun for anything. Congrats to Chris again on the sweet billie

snipersmilie.gif

one shot

That's incredible. Talk about hunting vicariously for something I'll probably never get to actually do. Much congrats to Chris and KTC, and thanks antlerrick for the video.

Chris,
You have me convinced. The next hunt I go on I'm popping estrogen by the handful if it makes me shoot as well as you!!

LOL do you think that will help Dale???
I'm just taking Barbie with me!!!!!
She's never been on an elk hunt so I get to break her in..

Rick, Saturday morning I would have tried anything!!

Back Woods Barbie has came through more then once... I say go for it!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom