MT Buff Bites the Dust (Snow)

BigFin

Got a call yesterday from a friend, Ron, who got called on the bison waiting list. His tag number came up and he could go today.

He wanted to know if son, Matthew, and I wanted to go? Duh! My civic duty, I think, is it not?

So, we snowmobiled 5 miles to where they were. To start with, I wasn't that enthused about riding up to them on snowcats and toasting one while it grazed on the hillside. I had always envisioned hunting them in a spot and stalk type hunt.

Reality is, these things are so huge. You need mechanical help, unless you have a lot of time and more energy than anyone I know.

Once we had one on the snow and were five miles from the truck, my enthusiasm for snowmobiles went way up.

Most guys drove the roads, hoping some would come close. None of them saw a buff, let alone shot one.

Six of us took four machines way up on a butte that tops out at 7,600'. The snow was so deep, I don't know how these critters can climb up there. Once on top, there are places where the wind keeps the snow blown to a lesser depth.

On top, the wind was howling. Didn't seem to bother the buffs, but we were freezing our sorry asses. Add in a horizontal blizzard, temps in the teens, and it felt like Siberia, not Montana.

Anyhow, these things are not real spooky. Ron shot this one at about a hundred and twenty yards, which seemed to be the distance at which they started to get figitty. It took three shots from a .308. All shots were in the head. The last shot dropped it.

His tag was a cow tag. They are big, but the bulls are a lot bigger. Not sure how you would handle one of those in deep snow, far from a vehicle.

Fortunately, Ron's cousin, Craig, lives in the area and has been watching these shaggy beasts for the last few weeks. He knew exactly where they would be, and he was right on.

I have always dreamed to hunt free ranging bison, but have never been so lucky to draw a tag. This was a cool experience, even if they are not the most "sporting" of critters, once located. What they lack in "sport" they make up for in back-wrenching labor.

Best thing I could have done on a day like today. Damn that was fun. Can't wait to get some of the goods when he gets it processed.

The protesters were out in force, harrassing the road hunters. I see why FWP recommends you use snow machines and shoot them far from the roads.

Seems that the "Buffalo Hippies" are worried about saving buffs, so long as they can drive the roads and raise hell. They don't love them enough to hike or ride a snow machine five miles. Hard to keep your mouth shut and fists at your side when they start harassing you while you are loading the beast. All in our party acted quite cordial, though I think after having a verbal exchange with one of those morons, you feel like you need to get "de-loused."

Oh well, takes more than a misguided dip$4it to ruin a day like today.

479bea6755d4e5a3.jpg

Ron and his neighbor, Leah, who is a lab research scientist for FWP

479bea454c1fcfb3.jpg

Yours truly, and Ron, having a blast.

479bea174ba4ad95.jpg

Ron's friend, Pat, Ron, and Ron's cousin Craig.

479be9df4ab866bf.jpg

Matthew having the kind of fun for which you live in MT. Getting up at 5:00 am, braving a blizzard to help hunt a bison, and enjoying every minute of it. Does it get any better than this?

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

Good for you guy's ... if you're crazy enough to go after them in those kind of conditions ... you earned that critter. Isn't like a stupid high fence deal. Good job!

RUS

That sounds like a fun time..
But the Henry's buffalo are nothing like you said these were. They are wilder than girls on spring break...
Congrats and I'll be your buddy appreciated your help. Those animals are big and hard to handle unless you have lots of help.
And thanks for the pictures of a great memory for you all!

Wow, very nice! Good job with the Buff Hippies too. It's best to keep your cool, as we learned to do with the earth firsters arund here.

Eel

That looks really neat. I would love to get called up to do something like that someday. I know it might get the PC police fired up, but if you have any, I would love to see some photos of the work, skinning, quarting, hauling, etc. Thanks for posting.

Dax

Congrats to him, looks like a good time, I got 360+ lbs of burger off my bull plus some steaks and roast. Mine was from north of Jackson and we had a ball huntings it and prossecing it well that took some time.
BisonandSam029.jpg

There's a reason it's a once in a life time hunt in Wyo. cause they'd have a heck of a time talking you into doing all that work over again.

Nice job. Sometimes it is more about the survival than the chase. Someday I might get to chase one of these massive creatures.

alpinebowman

>>>---shots that are true pass right through--->

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom