Mt Goat gun?

M

MightyMo

What is your idea of a good caliber for Mt Goats? I finally put a goat hunt together and considering which gun to take with. Thanks

I used a .300 mag in thoughts of "what if he climbed up to a spot where I couldn't get him" knock down power

I packed a couple on early season hunts that were mainly for scouting unless I seen a trophey. After a couple hunts on those mountians the goats hang out on I packed the lightest gun in my gun safe at the time. It happened to be a light weight Rugar M77 in 270 win. Packed it on numerous hunts to the top of many pecks on the Wasatch and was glad I had it and not one of the heavier magnums in the gun safe. The 270 did the job when I decided to shoot the last week of the hunt!!! Light, light, light weight gun and good shoot placement is my best advice!!! Awesome hunt, but also the most physical. It sure adds up after more then a month chaing them around in their habitat.

I've killed 2 with a Kimber Montana in 308 Win. Both 1 shot kills no problem. But I was not in grizzly country. If you will be that's something else to consider.

Thanks guys! I've got a couple to choose from and just wasn't real sure. Heard these animals are TOUGH! I really want to shoot my 6.5X284 with 140 Berger's. My trusty steed so to say. Not so much in big bear country so I really don't need to breack out the big long actions that I don't like to shoot.

Goats are pretty tough. Can take a pretty good hit. I think the question is really about the bullet you use. As long as it is 120 grains or better I think a Barnes Triple Shock is hard to beat. My two were killed with 140 grain Nosler Partitions in a 284 Winchester.

As others have said, nothing wrong with your caliber if you use good bullets. I choose a 300 WSM both times I shot a goat, and used 150 gr Barnes TSX with good results. Use a light weight rifle, no real need for the super magnums.
Bill

The last two post hit it on the head.....type of bullet is just as important,(or more), as your choice of caliber. Wife took hers shooting a .257 Weatherby Mag. Our daughter shooting hers with a .270 Weatherby. Wish we had of chose better, deeper penetrating bullets but everything ended up ok.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-10-13 AT 12:47PM (MST)[p]Goats are quite slab-sidded and don't require supreme penetrating bullets. I'm not a big fan of the fragmenting Bergers but you should be just fine on a broadside shot. I would lean toward a Barnes or a Nosler accubond... but that's just my opnion

Like Predator and llamapacker, I too used a 300 WSM and my wife used 270 WSM (both were "one and done") BUT I wouldn't feel undergunned with anything 25-06 or bigger and almost anything in a 6.5 is a helluva gun.

Bottom line is; shoot whatever YOU have confidence in.

Zeke

Got my goat with a .270 Ruger m77 with Barnes triple shock 140 grain bullet. Took it right down. Shot placement is key! High shoulder! Good luck and enjoy yourself.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-10-13 AT 10:18PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-10-13 AT 10:15?PM (MST)

I would suggest a 30 caliber. I would rank mature billy mtn goats as one of the toughest critters in North America to down with 1 shot. Of the 13 hunts I've been on with myself and others all but 2 took multiple shots on mature, large bodied billies (4+ year olds). The last hunt I was on I tried to talk my buddy into a 30 cal but he was set on using his 270. He shot the giant billy 4 times before it finally died! Large bodied billies 4+ years old can take a lick'n and keep tick'n. Many are known to do a "death dive" off cliffs after a shot. If you don't get a solid hit there is a good chance you will end up with 1 or 2 broken horns plus a bloody mess of a white coat! Do yourself and the goat a favor and use a 30 caliber!

Someone above mentioned high shoulder shot? Not a very good idea with goats! Mature billies have a sizeable hump and if you shoot high on the shoulder you will likely miss the lungs! Also, if you are hunting in late Oct or Nov goat hair is super long on top of the back..which adds even more area above the vitals. I would suggest low vs high on the shoulder! The vertibrae plus hair above the shoulder on top of their hump is pretty darn tall!

Thanks a ton for all the input! I love to shoot both guns. Its a tough choice. The last thing anyone wants is a death jump or a goat in an area that it cannot be recovered. 338 it is! The timer is already running!

8331mtn_goat_9-4-12_002.jpg

I used a .325 wsm in a browning A bolt Micro Hunter with 200 grain accubonds worked perfectly. This is the lightest gun I own and that was what made me choose the caliber, plus it shoots very well for me. 252 yards dead goat is at the bottom of the big rocks.
Rick

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom